Legacy the unrelenting tube eater! - Getting ready for solid - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2002, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Legacy the unrelenting tube eater! - Getting ready for solid

* * When my Legacy is working, it sound great. *But the thing eats tube like candy. *My Boogies would use tube for years. I have retubed my Legacy a few time this year. *Is it the preamp tube? Which one, well switch them around to find out, or better yet, just replace them all, it's only $60, which one of the four power tubes is bad? well, just replace them all for $100. *This was ok the first time, but I don't want to keep an extra set of tubes around just so when I get to practice I wont have to call it a night when the inevitable happens. *
*So, with this said, am I alone? Has anyone found a solid state amp that has grunt and girth like tubes? *I like my Pod for recording, and tried the Line 6 head, but *it so sucks when you turn it up, the Vetta sounds horrible too, at any volume. *The best sounding amp I played through yesterday at the shop was a Line 6 flextone 2, 1x12 combo. *It just doesn't go loud. *And I did try my Pod though a power amp. *A 500w stewert, sucked. *But througha 800w Peavey tube power amp, it sounded great. It didn't get all bright and peircy. *But I don't want TUBES! *Perhaps an 800w solid state power amp? *I don't know, I'm pulling my hair out. *Are Marshalls and H&K's this tube hungry too? *Do you just get what you pay for when you buy an $800 tube head from Carvin?
HELP??

Darin [email protected]

By the way the Legacy sounds best with a DS-1 in the clean channel, then put a Marshall comp pedal or a VOX overdrive in front of that and WOW, by putting an overdrive in front of the DS-1, you can run the dist at around 6or7 for crunch, then kick on the overdrive or comp. to get singing distortion. MUCH better that the lead channel. *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2002, 11:10 AM

Legacy the unrelenting tube eater!

Yeah, I have a Flextone II 1x12. *I love the thing. *If you want it to go louder, run it direct into the P.A. system or something. *Works just like a Pod. *Then again, I live in a closet. *lol *My bedroom is TINY. *The floor space (between my bed on the left, and desk and shelves on the right) is about a foot wider than the Flextone II and a few metres long. *I never have to turn the amp up past 3. *
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2002, 02:09 PM

Something is wrong, your amp shouldn't be going through tubes that fast. Have you called Carvin or taken it to a competent tech? Have you had the bias (plate voltage for the power tubes) checked? Something is definitely up!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2002, 02:34 PM

I agree with Jeff. You definitely have a problem somewhere.

I've been using a Carvin X-100B head with (4 - EL34's and 3 - 12AX7's) since 1987. My amp gets used about 10 hours a week. Although since 1995, I change all the tubes every year to keep them sounding less mushy, Ive only had 1 power tube actually fry on me. That was back in 1992 on the original set of Groove Tubes!

Get your amp back to Carvin if it's still under warranty or to a local tech who's familiar with Carvin amps.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2002, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

I sent it to Carvin for repairs a few months ago, they charged their flat $135 rate and sent it back working fine, till now. *over 2 years old, out of warranty. *I have decided to just replace the preamp tubes and call it maintance. *I love the tone, and tubes are cheaper that a new amp. *I have read on the www.harmony-central.com reviews of the Legacy at

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guita...y_Head-01.html

And I am not alone with reliability issues with the Legacy. *Consider it a Jaguar. *When it runs, it rocks, but expect it to break down often. *Why can't the just make it better and charge more. *

I aslo expect to get angry responses from Legacy devotees since this is a Vai devoted site, oh well. *

By the way, don't be afraid to get a Legacy, just expect to buy lots of tubes. *My Boogie never ate tubes like this. *Also concerning the rebiasing? I was told (several times, by Carvin) none is needed, the head is self biasing................*hmmmm*

Darin
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2002, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

oops, I submitted reply 2x

(Edited by Darin W at 11:28 pm on Jan. 27, 2002)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2002, 09:36 AM

I have a Legacy and so far no problems (and I run mine with a THD hotplate most of the times I do use it). *However, I do know of another owner nearby who has nothing but a constant headache with his and eventually sold it and got a marshall.

It appears that there are some 'manufacturing' oddities with these amps as I too was 'wary' about buying one...but I figured I know enough about amp maintenance that I could handle it. So far it's on everyday for at least 2-3 hours 7 days a week. *No problem.

Carvin should really do something about your amp. *Escalate your issue nicely via snail mail first addressing your concern to their "Quality Control" department. *I had gotten a call from a very 'hot headed' Carvin representative who answered my question wrong and he had attitude to boot. *I wrote them a letter addressing to Quality Control, and I actually got a written letter back apologizing for their poor customer service representative.

Don't take consumerism lightly, it's a very powerful tool when addressed or used correctly. *NO well BIASED or BUILT amp should have to eat tubes that fast. * Carvin owes you one and you should address it as such. *Leave beligerence at the door and act smartly and put your thoughts into words and send them a note detailing that this merits attention to the Better Business Bureau. *(that last threat actually will do you wonders....but be serious about using that service as it is intended to protect consumers DON'T ABUSE IT!).

Don't stand for faulty amps....get a new head. *Despite it being out of warranty, that doesn't explain the fact your tubes keep getting eaten (especially from way before the warranty expiration date).

Good Luck!!

Tags
groove tubes , power amp , preamp tube , solid state amp , solid state power amp , thd hotplate , tube head , tube power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode