Let's talk about DiMarzio Cliplock and similar straps - Page 2 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 05:30 AM

Re: Let's talk about DiMarzio Cliplock and similar straps

Isn't it possible to protect the guitar by wrapping the clips with tape ?
I ask this 'cause just yesterday i installed the DiMarzio Cliplocks to my VWH and DNA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 11:46 AM

I seen Steve Vai's cliplock strap fail..... the screw pulled out of the body. In dimarzio's defense he is probably a lil tougher on his than most ppl.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 10:31 PM

Schallers did not work well at all for me. The screws were constantly coming loose, a problem I never had with the original screws. And the nuts required constant tightening to be functional.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishphood42 View Post
Schallers did not work well at all for me. The screws were constantly coming loose, a problem I never had with the original screws.
Use the larger screw or tighten up the hole with the toothpick trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishphood42 View Post
And the nuts required constant tightening to be functional.
Loctite, its what everyone uses.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Schallers are the way to go IMO. I simply don't like the fact that the cliplocks can do lots of damange to the finish of a guitar while in the case! How ironic is it that the Dimazio Cliplocks protect the guiitar from falling but they can't protect the guitar from itself, lol.

Jimmy
That sounds....deeply profound. Like the theme to a tragedy.
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 03:08 PM

I have a Cliplock strap on my Jem, and I used to have one on my Strat. I agree, I didn't like the idea that they would bang around on the bodies when they were in the case. A friend of mine has Schallers and they seemed to do the job. I always did wish that DiMarzio would come out with a strap that used Schaller type connectors, along with a padded fluorescent strap.

Ibanez has its own Free Lock strap connectors, but they're rare and you'll pay dearly for them. I think I was quoted 60 dollars for the set.

http://www.ibanez.com/parts/2001_PAR...x-StrapPin.htm

Another alternative is to do what Eddie Van Halen did, and screw in some eye-bolts and use dog leash connectors.

A friend of mine dropped his guitar during a gig (it fell off the strap), and a large chunk of wood ripped off the guitar.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 06:47 PM

I dont understand why you simply cannot put the cliplock strap onto an ibanez without any mods, or switching out the screw and strap pin. Cant you just undo the strap pin put the screw through the hole in the strap and than screw it back on your guitar? Or is the hole to small or something? why do they even bother give new screws with the strap?
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Banned

Last edited by Rodney James; 02-01-2008 at 02:16 AM.
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:23 PM

I switched to Dunlop Straploks a while ago, and I haven't looked back.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:37 PM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon8822 View Post
I dont understand why you simply cannot put the cliplock strap onto an ibanez without any mods, or switching out the screw and strap pin. Cant you just undo the strap pin put the screw through the hole in the strap and than screw it back on your guitar? Or is the hole to small or something? why do they even bother give new screws with the strap?
The screws are longer, and therefore more secure.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 04:55 AM

In my opinion the best locking straps are the LM Surelock straps

They even have just the end bits available for fitting to your favorite strap

The normal guitar strap button goes through the plastic keyhole shaped hole and sits at the bottom. The popper fastens over the front preventing the strap button from lifting up and out of the hole.
The work really well! I have both the whole straps and the end fittings on normal straps and have had no problems. I use them on all my guitars.
You don't have to remove the strap buttons and you can easily take the strap off after a gig.
They should be easier to get hold of in the states than the UK as well!
Jim
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg5150 View Post
Clip locks are good except for the damage they cause in a case. No more clip locks for me!!
I had the same thing happen sometime ago...sucked!
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 11:19 AM
Banned

If this were a poll, I'd vote for Shallers all the way. They have never let me down. I've never used anything else.....I'm practicing for an endorsement deal....
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 10:48 AM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vim Fuego View Post
In my opinion the best locking straps are the LM Surelock straps

They even have just the end bits available for fitting to your favorite strap

The normal guitar strap button goes through the plastic keyhole shaped hole and sits at the bottom. The popper fastens over the front preventing the strap button from lifting up and out of the hole.
The work really well! I have both the whole straps and the end fittings on normal straps and have had no problems. I use them on all my guitars.
You don't have to remove the strap buttons and you can easily take the strap off after a gig.
They should be easier to get hold of in the states than the UK as well!
Jim
My cousin has one of these on his Les Paul...seems to work fine as he is a thrasher on stage.

I still swear by the Schallers and a little glue to hold them in tight
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 11:04 AM

i actually have cliplocks on almost all of my ibanez's. all of my rg's, 2 540s's, and a 540r. everything else i have has schaller straplocks. the only exceptions are my basses. i put schaller, dunlop, and the ibanez gotoh locks i pulled from my prestiges on them. i personally love the schaller, you just have to make sure they are tight, with every string change, just check them with a screwdriver. the cliplocks have a tendancy to mess up finishes on the back, especially if you move around a lot like i do. ibanez's crappy paint jobs don't exactly help this as well. my rg7620's were the first to suffer. but still, i love them so much that i have them on all of my rg's and have a few on standby for new guitars.

rich

Tags
clip lock strap , cliplock strap , cliplock straps , dimarzio clip lock , dimarzio clip lock strap , dimarzio cliplock , dimarzio cliplock strap , dimarzio cliplock straps , dimarzio strap , eddie van halen , jim dunlop , les paul , local music store , music store , planet waves , schaller strap locks , steve vai , strap button , strap buttons , strap lock , strap locks , tone zone , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode