Let's talk about DiMarzio Cliplock and similar straps - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Let's talk about DiMarzio Cliplock and similar straps

DiMarzio Cliplocks. Widely regarded as some of the best, most durable, utilitarian straps available to gigging guitarists. I have a lime green one on a sparkle blue RG421 and a black one on a natural mahogany RG321. These straps take a beating and ask for more. I run, jump, and generally put them through their paces, and they've never failed me.

Not that I don't have a bone to pick with DiMarzio: why don't they make these straps in the same colors as their pickups? I can order a pink Tone Zone but I can't order a pink strap to complement it. In fact, I am currently looking for a pink cliplock and a yellow cliplock for some project guitars. I know DiMarzio has made yellow ones in the past, but they haven't for some time. (And it's such a primary color, you'd think it would be a perennial option.)

Does anyone know how to get ahold of a yellow or pink cliplock strap? Nowhere I've searched has any information, and so I turn to the knowledgeable folks here at the Jemsite forums for help.

Post about your own cliplocks. Do you like them? Have they ever broken or failed you? Have they ever saved your life, or barring that, your guitar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 02:46 AM

Re: Let's talk about DiMarzio Cliplock and similar straps

I haven't had a cliplock strap save my guitar, but to be honest I don't gig. I have had a them damage the finish on 3 occassions while in the case so no more cliplocks for me.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 03:20 AM

Reviews: 6

I have the Black Dimarzio Clip lock strap the same as in the picture above, and they are awesome straps while they can damage the finish if your not careful they really give you peace of mind that your guitar ain't going to fall while your playing awesome things and if you don't want them on you can just un clip then at the ends. Best strap i've ever owned
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 05:28 AM

Reviews: 3

How about buying a white one and dying it? I'm don't know what works best on nylon, but I'm sure there's something out there.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 06:51 AM
Dee

I used to have a pink one but I threw it away. To be honest, it was a vile colour.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 08:10 AM

Clip locks are good except for the damage they cause in a case. No more clip locks for me!!
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 11:53 AM
dex

Levi's used to make a cliplock strap that was far superior to the DiMarzio one.

The little bits that stay bolted to the guitar were made from hard leather and never bent so they couldn't damage the finish.
The strap itself was also made from denser nylon and was not as bendable as DiMarzio straps are.
To me the DiMarzio straps are too soft and bend every which way a little bit to much for my linking so I've given up on them as well.

These days I use the Dunlop Lok Strap - go on any strap you like and are only 75p at my local guitar store.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 12:38 PM

Reviews: 12

got one of these planet waves locking straps the other day:

pretty ingenious stuff... but the locks themselves look "bulky" on an RG and it takes a while to "unlock" it and if you somehow have the strap twisted, it might take a while to have it straighten. The strap works fine on my nylon classical though. I dig the pocket for picks though

Reg
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg5150 View Post
Clip locks are good except for the damage they cause in a case. No more clip locks for me!!
I remember seeing picstures (maybe on this very website) of one guy's solution to this problem. He made little fabric "booties" for the clip ends to wear while the guitar was cased. Voila!

I discovered that DiMarzio hasn't made pink cliplocks in something like ten years, I think. And as for yellow, I don't think they've ever made them in that color.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 03:01 PM

Reviews: 7

I have an army camo one made from condura. I got tired of trying to squeeze my screwed in strap into my gig bag, so I bought a cliplock. So far no damage to the finish on my guitar....
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 08:49 PM

Reviews: 3

I've got a black strap for my FGM100. I don't like how it clinks and clanks all over the place. Felt like I had a fanny pack on my strap. I swapped it out for Schaller strap locks and never looked back.

Rickboot, where you live in SJ? I grew up in Almaden Valley and went to Pioneer.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 10:09 PM

Reviews: 120

Yeah I use the Schaller strap locks too, have not had any problems with them for the last couple of years.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 11:05 PM

Reviews: 18

Schallers are the way to go IMO. I simply don't like the fact that the cliplocks can do lots of damange to the finish of a guitar while in the case! How ironic is it that the Dimazio Cliplocks protect the guiitar from falling but they can't protect the guitar from itself, lol.

Jimmy
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 03:06 AM

Yes, in my experience of repairing and selling guitars the Schaller system is easily the best - plus they are easy to get hold of - See my 3bay shop.....

And they are well priced too...... 7.75 a set AND i sell extra buttons for other guitars, then just swap straps

But.......... the cliplock on an Ibanez is "THE" look - no denying!

its just having that chunk of plastic flying about is a pain.

Maybe its time Dimarzio addressed the issue???????? Not sure how yet but i'm sure an hour with a sheet of paper would bring up some alternative fixings.......

Maybe a cliplock with Schaller locks on it???? Call it a collaboration!

Max
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 04:31 AM

I really like the feel of the cliplocks, but after having them installed on my RG570EX, and ending up having the finish stripped clean off where the clips fall, i havent used them on anything else.

I have though, on another guitar, removed the clips, and attached the strap (you cant beat that seatbelt material!) to a set of Dunlop straplocks, so I get the best of both worlds.

Tags
clip lock strap , cliplock strap , cliplock straps , dimarzio clip lock , dimarzio clip lock strap , dimarzio cliplock , dimarzio cliplock strap , dimarzio cliplock straps , dimarzio strap , eddie van halen , jim dunlop , les paul , local music store , music store , planet waves , schaller strap locks , steve vai , strap button , strap buttons , strap lock , strap locks , tone zone , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode