Let's talk recording software (again!) - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Let's talk recording software (again!)

What do you guys use to record your songs? Any plug-ins etc?

I'd be more interested in hearing about computer-based systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 01:59 PM

Re: Let's talk recording software (again!)

Mixer line out > Macbook line in > Garageband.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 02:10 PM

I use ProTools. I've never found a good reason (other than budget) to use anothing else.
post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Since I changed my PC, my Protools with mbox won't work with my processor (Intel Celeron)!

I now have to borrow my friend's iBook G4 and see if I can set it up on that...it's soooo frustrating. Been in a pro studio tonight doing a track for a friend of mine and I could have saved so much time (and money) if I did the fiddly bits at home....I feel GAS coming on when I could really do with chilling. I might have to sell the DY to finance this....

Can anyone recommend good music production software that will work on my PC...like Cubase, Cakewalk etc etc...please share your ideas!

Last edited by Batchimp RG; 07-05-2007 at 06:19 PM.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 06:49 PM

Waves plug-ins are great.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 10:16 PM

me? amp - webcam - Pc.... ouch that sucks

i'm getting a USB interface then i'll upgrade to a mixer... get a cheap copy of nuendo from someone i know
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
What do you guys use to record your songs? Any plug-ins etc?

I'd be more interested in hearing about computer-based systems.
Awesome collection of mic's (including schoeps, neumann, lawson) through
Neve and API mic pre's
through a MOTU A/D

Into Nuendo, using almost exclusively Wave's plugs.

I did just also purchase a portable 4 track non linear recorder
but thats more for my day job of doing sound for tv/film.
But im sure it'll be used to capture music on location.

Sound devices 744T ($4100) ouch!

Oh and yoyo? I'd really appreciate if you didnt steal software like
you posted right above me. Would you steal something from a real store?

Thanks for making the prices even higher for us legit folks.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 03:43 PM

Reviews: 2

PodXTL or GNX4 into Sonar Producer 5/6
Reason 3.0
Drumkit From Hell

And thus far have little brain to use Reason or DFH
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 10:43 AM

sonar 6 pe for recording
sound forge for wav editing

waves diamond
waves ssl
antares tube pre
antrares avox
ik amplitube
ik ampeg svx
ik t-racks
ozone izotope
bbe sonic maximizer

the plug-ins are insane and make sonar a monster.

rich
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip View Post
Awesome collection of mic's (including schoeps, neumann, lawson) through
Neve and API mic pre's
through a MOTU A/D

Into Nuendo, using almost exclusively Wave's plugs.

I did just also purchase a portable 4 track non linear recorder
but thats more for my day job of doing sound for tv/film.
But im sure it'll be used to capture music on location.

Sound devices 744T ($4100) ouch!

nice gear, rip. i use akg mics...c1000/2000b/3000. a few low end tube preamps into a behringer mx3282a for preamping all of my channels. they feed from the inserts(half-in) into 3 m-audio delta 1010lt's into my PC.
athlon64 fx-53 2.2 ghz
3 gb ram
200 gb hd
dual 17" flats

i need to swap ram with 2 gig sticks to max it out at 4 gb and get a 500gb to add on, but currently my live recording rig is near identical. just as 16 tracks instead of 24.

rich
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 09:48 PM

I have a macbook pro Intel core 2 dou prcoessor. 7200rpm drive 500 gig external firwire 800 drive to record to. I Run a line 6 tone port kb37 and gearbox software for my guitar tones...after trying many applications I feel cubase sx is the best solution for multitracking. Waves bundle plugins are top notch. Using ezdrummer now as well for drums of course and sony sound forge to master tracks and edit...been through a lot of software but thats what i have settled on. Also, using hypersonic for synth sounds...Im happy! Very versatile setup
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 10:09 PM

Just Sprung for a MacBook Pro and a DIGI003 Rack Factory with Music Production Toolkit - still setting it up - man that's a lot of software to install! ProTools gets better with each release, and LE gets a little closer to HD. Best guitar interface I have found is my TriAxis recording outs - have to play pretty loud though to get much "feel" out of the guitar.
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 02:17 AM

Angry Re: Let's talk recording software (again!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip View Post

Hey, whats the deal he said that hes gonna get a cheap copy from somone he knows.
I have many friends that use limewire and other stuff, and most of the time they DONT PAY FOR WHAtEVER THEY DOWNLOAD. He said CHEAP, that DOESN'T mean FREE!
dont even bring that stuff in here because there is a lot of defense for illegaldownloads, which by the way there is no incriminating evidence in yoyo's post.
go ahead let em download:
A)most "programs" on those sharware **** are not anything to do with what you want. Most of it is spam, adult content, & viruses. (different story for music)
B)the use of illegal sharing services does not affect the price fluctuations
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active 80's View Post
Hey, whats the deal he said that hes gonna get a cheap copy from somone he knows.
I have many friends that use limewire and other stuff, and most of the time they DONT PAY FOR WHAtEVER THEY DOWNLOAD. He said CHEAP, that DOESN'T mean FREE!
dont even bring that stuff in here because there is a lot of defense for illegaldownloads, which by the way there is no incriminating evidence in yoyo's post.
A)most "programs" on those sharware **** are not anything to do with what you want. Most of it is spam, adult content, & viruses. (different story for music)
Wrong on all counts dude.

Regardless of what you might believe an illegal download is exactly that.

Nuendo is high end software - a cheap copy is, by definition an illegal copy - Nuendo is NOT like Cubase, it doesn't come in different flavours, it comes in the one, expensive, Nuendo flavoured package.

Most people here on JEMsite are musicians - musicians earn their money from selling their music, either direct, or in the form of royalties. Every time you download a song from Limewire, you are cheating a musician on money they have a right to earn.

Lastly, how the hell do you work out that illegal downloading has no effect on a legal product price? All software costs a lot of money to develop, every time a copy is downloaded illegaly rather than paid for, the R&D costs get spread over a thinner number of sold copies - hence the price gets higher. Besides, who do you think foots the bill for (totally justifiably) attempting to shut down P2Ps which let this sort of thing go on?

Geeze, grow up. Intellectual property is still someone's property, it's all the harder to protect it in the digital domain. Maybe at some stage in the future when your own music is being illegally downloaded instead of being purchased in a way that you, the author get some benefit, and it's you that's hurting, you'll start to understand.
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 02:44 AM
Rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active 80's View Post
are you kidding me?
wow are you misinformed

Tags
audio delta , backing track , bbe sonic , bbe sonic maximizer , david mccarroll , fruity loops , marshall tsl , playing guitar , sammy hagar , sonic maximizer , sound forge , tube amp , tube preamp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode