Limiters? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
Limiters?

Hi guys, recently I finished mixing the first song I recorded with my band. Overall, I'm sure someone with more experience could definitely do a better job, but I'm happy with the mix! The rhythm guitar and bass parts are heavy, the vocals are always audible, the solos stand out, there's little to no peaking... and most importantly, on my headphone speakers, the overall volume seems even with most other MP3 files I own, including songs by bands like All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, etc.

Here's the problem though.. upon burning it to CD to show my friend, I popped it in the car CD player to give it a listen, and the overall volume was WAY too quiet, at least when compared to other CDs I own. After talking to my guitar teacher and doing some research, it seemed like a limiter may fix this problem.

Now here's where I need help: I really, really like the mix of the song and just want to finish and release it as soon as possible. I just want a simple, easy-to-use limiter that I can use to increase the overall volume without generating peaking. Second off, are their any techniques I can maybe use to increase overall volume without using a limiter? And finally, will using a limiter even fix the problem of an uneven volume level when burned to CD and when played from the computer?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 09:04 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Limiters?

A limiter would deffinately fix your issue in your car, I'm not sure how it can be even with other songs on a computer but not in a car (unless your computer normalizes the tunes to make them the same volume).

If you recorded through a DAW (cubase, pro tools, etc) there should be a limiter provided with your program, and it should be very simple to use, as your looking to do some "brick wall limiting". Which basically means, setting the output to 0db (which prevents clipping).

What you want is to apply the limiter to the master track, and leave the output gain at 0db. Now you want to increase the input gain. What will happen is your track will get louder and when it hits the 0db "wall" you've created, the sound will start to be squashed, decreasing your dynamic range.

I personally prefer doing my brickwall limiting at the very end and I usually only increase the volume so that only the loud parts only get slightly compressed. But i think that's cause i love how all the old 60s/70s and 80s have such drastic dynamic differences in one track, and I don't want to squash that out of my tracks. But it does mean that it WILL be a bit quieter than a new CD they buy now-a-days, but to retain that quality, i'm willing to compromise, cause i can always just turn the amplifier up louder! (And non squashed tracks will sound better louder than squashed tracks).

Anyway, that's a pretty massive chuck of text, i hope you get through it and it helps you out. If you're using cubase as your DAW, i can help you out a bit more too.

Toodles, Julz.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by julzius View Post
A limiter would deffinately fix your issue in your car, I'm not sure how it can be even with other songs on a computer but not in a car (unless your computer normalizes the tunes to make them the same volume).

If you recorded through a DAW (cubase, pro tools, etc) there should be a limiter provided with your program, and it should be very simple to use, as your looking to do some "brick wall limiting". Which basically means, setting the output to 0db (which prevents clipping).

What you want is to apply the limiter to the master track, and leave the output gain at 0db. Now you want to increase the input gain. What will happen is your track will get louder and when it hits the 0db "wall" you've created, the sound will start to be squashed, decreasing your dynamic range.

I personally prefer doing my brickwall limiting at the very end and I usually only increase the volume so that only the loud parts only get slightly compressed. But i think that's cause i love how all the old 60s/70s and 80s have such drastic dynamic differences in one track, and I don't want to squash that out of my tracks. But it does mean that it WILL be a bit quieter than a new CD they buy now-a-days, but to retain that quality, i'm willing to compromise, cause i can always just turn the amplifier up louder! (And non squashed tracks will sound better louder than squashed tracks).

Anyway, that's a pretty massive chuck of text, i hope you get through it and it helps you out. If you're using cubase as your DAW, i can help you out a bit more too.

Toodles, Julz.
Thanks for the help! I'll try to tackle each of your points.

First off, I know if anything is out of place, it's the volume in my car; I played the song on 3 different computers and it definitely sounds loud enough on all 3 of them, so that's not the issue...

Also, I use Reaper, and I know that there's a built in limiter plug-in, but it's a bit complicated for a new-comer...

But thanks a ton for the help! That makes a lot of sense, I'll make sure to try it. If it helps, a plug-in I installed for that is Endorphin, if you have any experience with that. Thanks again!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 10:48 PM

Reviews: 6

The limiter will fix your issue, I personally use this plugin because of how easy it is, Waves L2 Ultramaximizer. I use this on all my mix.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11racksfx View Post
The limiter will fix your issue, I personally use this plugin because of how easy it is, Waves L2 Ultramaximizer. I use this on all my mix.
i use the L3 on the 2 buss, but the L2 will do the same job. brick wall limiting is just right to get the mix to broadcast/commercial levels. just be careful not to squash your mix or you'll end up with digital sausage and a mix that is fatiguing to listen to.

rich
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, guys! I tried one called Endorphin, and it's solid, but it doesn't really get the job done. The "Input Trim" still causes peaking when raised, rather than squashing down the mix and upping the volume. Is there anything that you guys can recommend that's essentially idiot-proof and won't break the bank? perhaps something cheaper than $100, or maybe even free?

Thanks!

Last edited by EXshad; 10-26-2012 at 06:42 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 06:50 PM

Google loudmax
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 01:09 PM

Here are some free plugins that will do the jobs,

http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/downloads/
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 01:11 PM

This is they main page explaining each plugins,
http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/vst-effects/
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 04:38 PM

I do absolutely nothing in the Master bus - rather, I export a wave file and then boost it up in an external editor (I use Goldwave, as it happens, which is free. Maximize Volume, then hit it with a compressor with the ratio set to infinity (that's all a limiter is) and the threshold as low as you can get away with without really hurting the sound (-6db is probably a good starting place), and then either use the gain control on the compressor to compensate, or just maximize again when you're done.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 04:49 PM

Also, now would be a VERY good time to google "volume wars."
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 05:10 PM

Reviews: 4

Or, on the other side of the spectrum from what Drew suggested, you could pull out a wad of cash for Izotope ozOne.

For "free" (ahem..), though, stillwell makes excellent plugs.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 06:13 PM

I think Julzius explained well enough.

Tags
limiters volume problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode