Line 6 POD xt vs. POD PRO. - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Line 6 POD xt vs. POD PRO.

Can somebody post the differences here.
I īm looking at this 2 thigs a week now, but I doīnīt know what to buy.

Hope somebody can help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 03:46 PM

Hi vdracula,

Well, in my personal experience, the POD XT (or the original POD) sounds better then the POD Pro. That's just me personally. I've tried both and found the (bean) POD to be warmer and easier to deal with. The drawback on the (bean) POD for me was it's size and shape - I run almost everything including my amp in a rack and I'd have had problems with it. The POD Pro just sounded like garbage to me. I couldn't get a good tone out of this thing on my rig to save my life.

But personally, if I'd have had the money at the time I wouldn't have bought either of these. I tested a Flextone II HD and was floored by the tone and ease of use. It was definately what I was looking for at the time.

In the end it all comes down to taste. Seeing as how you live in Germany like me, test both on your rig and figure out what's best for you. I work at Musikhaus Thomann and know that you can get both sent to you and send back the one you don't want. The guys/gals in the call center or the guitar department will be happy to set it all up for you.

LJ
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 03:49 PM

Well, the XT definitely has more options, and sounds way better. But the POD Pro has some cool features too. I say wait a bit if you can to see if they do a rack-mounted version of the XT, and then decide.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 04:00 PM

The biggest differences that I noticed are that with the PodXT is that you can put all the effects(overdrives, modulation, delay, wah. volume pedal etc) in either a pre or a post configuration. And there are lot's more types of effects to choose from. Analog delays, stereo delays, digital delays, more types of compressors, overdrive/distortion stomp box modelers and on and on. It seems to have the Line 6 modeler pedals all built into it.
You have different mics to choose from. More amp and cab models. You can choose if it's going into a pa/direct, infront of an amp or in front of a power amp/4x12 cab combination via the nice display on the PodXT. It's not just turning the cab simulator on or off like the older Pods. Another thing that's cool about it is that you can totally bypass the amp and cab modeling and just use the effects from it. That's something that really turned me away from the other Pods. Also, I pickup up the FBV Short board for my PodXT. At first I was kind of dissappointed that you couldn't use the older floorboard with it but the new floorboards are much better. The short board that I got was only around $20 more then the old floorboard and it is also much improved. It has the nice well lit up display that shows what program you are on and larger, more visible lights above each footswitch. It also has an effect loop on/off switch, which I'm sure is for the Vetta and the Duoverd(?) amps but it also works as a boost switch for the PodXT.
I would suggest that if you have a local Line 6 dealer, go in and ask if you can look through the manual for the XT(If they have them in). That's what I did and I bought it. Also maybe sit down with the PodXT and play around with it for a while before you buy it. It took me a while to find a sound I liked but once I did I was blown away.
I've had all the other Pods, Pod 1.0 Pod 2.0 and the Pod Pro, and the PodXT basically leaves all other versions of the Pod in the dust.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 04:26 PM

I dunno about the pod xt, but when i was playing at the young guitarist of the year final, one of the entrants played through a pod pro, straight into the pa, and his tone was as good as, if now better than the all valve laney head (TT100, i think ) the rest of us played through.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 06:29 PM

I've owned all three... I'd wait for NAMM here in a few weeks to make sure that Line 6 doesn't announce a rackmount version. If not, I'd go with the XT. Nice amp models, more and better effects, new mic simulation, ability to put more effects in the signal chain (like a Tube Screamer in front of any amp model). Unbelievable tones for $400. Even my tube-or-death enthusiast friends can't deny the value.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 10:09 AM

I have a POD Pro, also used to have the regular bean version. I'm not totally clear on all the outputs of the new XT version of the bean, but the POD Pro is the most versatile piece of recording/live gear on the planet. I would totally wait on seeing if they introduce a rackmount version of it this summer because of the output versatility it will afford. Digital outs, analog outs(1/4" and XLR), unprocessed guitar output...the list goes on. Going straight to PC with a pure 24 bit digital path is where this thing shines. I used to run it through a tube power amp for line stuff, and although it sounded good, I never could really get it to "feel" right. But for practicing and recording, the POD Pro will always be in my gear list...it is really simple to use and if you can't get good tones out of this thing going direct to a board or PC, then you've got bigger fish to fry than worrying about gear.

I guess my comments boil down to this....if you are going to use it primarily and a practicing tool, more for convenience then I would get a bean version of the POD or splurge on the XT in its current form. If you are looking for a serious recording tool then wait for the rack version of the XT.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

i need a pod for a live / studio works.
But i donīt know which of them.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 10:10 PM

I have used a pod pro since the first one got to guitar center, and i loved it, but there was something missing, after like a year i got an upgrade to version 1.3 and man what a difference! i would say go for the pro, i want to see if they come out with a rackmount version of the pod xt to try it out. if u get a pod pro make sure its version 1.3 it makes a huge difference
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 09:28 AM

I've just been searching the forums for stuff on preamps... Kinda in the market.

Anyway, the pod interests me too. I've only played through a Pod Pro rack mount thingy into a combo amp, and a line6 combo amp... Wasn't impressed.

But from what I've read here on this site the XT seems like a pretty good piece of gear.

This is probably old news, but I decided to check the site and it's now in rackmount form http://www.line6.com/podxtpro/features.htm

wil..

Tags
combo amp , pod pro , power amp , stomp box , tube power amp , volume pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode