Line 6 POD XTPro - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 13
Line 6 POD XTPro

I have just purchased a Line 6 POD XTPro . I am very excited by the possibilities that it will provide.

I figured that the XTPro would be very useful for those late night recording sessions when I can't crank up the Marshall.

So far I am very impressed. I don't know if I would use it on stage or as the primary source on a track, however I think that as a layer in the overall mix it will be a great addtion - not to mention a great creative tool to lay down an idea at 1:00am.

How have people felt, over an extended period of timem about the POD XTPro, any issues or good points about the system that aren't in the manual?

Cheers,

- Wolfram
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 08:44 AM

Reviews: 65
Re: Line 6 POD XTPro

I kind of dislike the POD XT a lot, to me it sounds much to flat and the real warm tone coloring of tubes is absent. Yes they try to model it, but to my taste it did not cut it. I guess it would be ok for downtuned metal stuff.

If I need a pre for recording atm I use a VOX Tonelab SE, sounds to me much more "real". I also tried a Zoom G9.2 and it was not bad at all, already had the VOX though. Would be hard to decide between the 2.

Though nothing is really like the real thing for me, so on gigs it is my tube head and pedal board all the way with miced cab, and most of the time for recording too. I just use the Tonelab for effect heavy stuff and dubs or practice at home.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 09:04 AM

Reviews: 3

Of course it'll never sound like a tube amp, but that's mainly because it doesn't have tubes in it...

As far as modelling goes though, it can't be beat for the price. And as you say, a lifesaver for laying down that flash of inspiration you got sometime past the witching hour.

I can't get enough of the virtual tubescreamer on there, I recommend trying it out in conjunction with as many amps as possible, because it often changes the characteristics entirely (and often for the better). If you're after a high gain sound, it's essential.. but it can warm/tighten up vintage models too.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
Of course it'll never sound like a tube amp, but that's mainly because it doesn't have tubes in it...

As far as modelling goes though, it can't be beat for the price. And as you say, a lifesaver for laying down that flash of inspiration you got sometime past the witching hour.

I can't get enough of the virtual tubescreamer on there, I recommend trying it out in conjunction with as many amps as possible, because it often changes the characteristics entirely (and often for the better). If you're after a high gain sound, it's essential.. but it can warm/tighten up vintage models too.
you should have bought a boss gt8.but if you like the line6 xt live who cares what other ppl think.i have a line6 flextone111 amp.i love it sounds great
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 05:08 PM

yah all is a matter of taste. if your wired that way, have it that way and have fun with it sure isn't a bad box.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 09:10 PM

what's the story with the headphone output on these things anyway? any good? i'm considering buying an x3 live or an xt live so that me and my other guitarist can plug straight into the singer's nice expensive PA (with the x3), and so I can play at night without incurring my family's wrath... does anyone have any experience with the x3 specifically?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 10:28 PM

I think line6 product is the best ever!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte_za View Post
what's the story with the headphone output on these things anyway? any good? i'm considering buying an x3 live or an xt live so that me and my other guitarist can plug straight into the singer's nice expensive PA (with the x3), and so I can play at night without incurring my family's wrath... does anyone have any experience with the x3 specifically?
Yes you can do it and yes they sound nice over headphones.
If you want to use it to go direct into a PA, I would strongly recommend to try the VOX Tonelab or Zoom G9.2 products before you buy, as those 2 have tubes in the path to make the sound more "authentic". You will need to have a good monitoring setup and you have to be aware that, while it will sound nice, it will never sound like a miced Tube Amp Stack.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 06:58 AM

The line 6 POD XT/pro/live is one of the best buys I have ever made. One tip - use the USB port for the recording with the gearbox software. I didn't figure out how to do this for 2.5 years. It totally blew wide open my recording techniques/quality and I can't believe that I never figured it out before!!!!

Also, for a live tool I think that it can't be beat. If into a P.A its okay, but I run mine through a Marshall el84 20/20 power amp into a 4 x 12 and its excellent for sounds AND versilitity.

Your always going to get people saying that it aint a tube amp....and they're really just stating the obvious. If you can get over this hurdle then there is ALOT waiting for you in the red box.

Big Job
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments guys. There seems to be a mixed bag.

Big Job I would be really interested in your thoughts on how to wire this setup up.

- Wolfram
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 07:22 AM
Banned

i hate floor units there always to complicated.thats why i bought my line6 flextone111 amp.it has all the effects you need.just turn knobs to get the tone you want easy as that.i have a carlsbro combo plugged into the line6 just as a speaker man it sounds awsome.(stadium sound)
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 07:26 AM

As far as bedroom playing goes, I have a Pod XT Live and I can honestly say I wish I'd of bought one MUCH MUCH sooner. The tones that you can get at low levels are amazing, especially for the price!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 10:47 AM

this thread will turn into a analog vs. digital discussion like they always do. i personally use line6 products exclusively. i used to be a tube purist(5150...4 of them) and switched due to my changing needs of versatility and ease of operation. to each their own. i'm not a fan of anyone else's modeling, boss is really good, but line6 has the edge on them. boss makes great pedals, of which i have a few, but the modeling from line6 is just better, they have just done more R&D. i am really excited about the new x3 stuff and will probably get the floor pod and pocket pod. i still use the pod 2.0 and the old flextone 2 amps. got three heads and a 212 combo, not to mention a spider 1 112 and the 15w spider 2 for just making noise. they are a great value with pleasing tone. so kudos to you and your new purchase.

rich
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
Big Job I would be really interested in your thoughts on how to wire this setup up.

- Wolfram
Hey man,

okay here is my 3 uses of the POD XT.

1) Recording.

For recording I use cool edit pro/adobe audition. You have to install the latest version (3.5) of the Line6 gear box plugin to your computer. This is a program that allows you to tweak the Pod's settings on your computer screen...you can see the amp and effects chain right there on the monitor.

Okay, as for sound you have to now think of the Pod as your computer sound card, as a result of this you will have to attach a speaker to each of the Pods outputs (left and right).

Also, please keep in mind that you will have to configure your computer to use the Pod as the sound card - this is important. Set it as the audio in and audio out for your recording package.

Next - you have to have gearbox running in the background to hear the sound of the Pod. Once the gearbox program is installed you put in the Pod (via the USB connector on the back) and it will now recognise the Pod. However, you will probarbly have to update the drivers, but these are all avaliable from the line 6 web page.

When this is all done you can record! The results are very good indeed and I dont know why people haven't used this more and more - Ithink that people just put the Pod into their sound card, like a stomp box and expect awesome results. Not so! Use the USB feature.

2) Playing at home.

I rest the Pod XT and the 20/20 power amp on the top of my marshall 4 x 12 and hook it up as follows.....

Guitar - to input of pod - out put of pod to input of 20/20 - out put of 20/20 to the hole in the back of the marshall. There are two holes to choose from but I dont know what the difference is!

3) Playing live.

Now normally 'gigs' are at university and people are only there because they want to get drunk or laid. Thereofre I dont worry too much about my tone or if I play some bad notes, but the general rule is as above.....

Guitar - to input of pod - out put of pod to input of PA.

Thats about it really. I hope that answers any questions - if you have any more please feel free to get in contact and I will do what I can to help. Line 6 equipment is really good - and it gets a bad wrap because people can't use it properley.

Chris
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Chris,

Thank you for your comments. I don't know how I will go using the XT Pro as a sound card given I have a Pro Tools set up.

I may have to go to the mixing board first?

- Wolfram

Tags
electric guitar , pedal board , power amp , stomp box , tube amp , tube head , vox tonelab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode