LINE 6 PODs - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

LINE 6 PODs

Which is better? The POD Pro or the POD XT Pro.. they are both rackmounts. Are there any advantages to one over the other??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 03:31 PM

I have a POD Pro but haven't messed with the XT version so I can't give you a direct comparison. I have heard others say that the XT has superior effects, but the actual amp tones of the original Pro were superior to the XT.

I will tell you that I love my POD Pro. I only use it for practicing and getting ideas down at home. I think it sounds fantastic, it is insanely versatile and I love being able to go pure digital direct to PC. I really can find very few faults with it. The effects are pretty bare minimum, but they get the job done reasonable well. With the new XT out now, these are popping up used for great prices...I'd jump on one over the XT just on that alone if I were you.

For live playing, I used to run it through a mesa 20/20, a g-major and mesa 2x12 cab. Found it a little flat sounding, added a BBE sonic maximizer and that helped but still wasn't as "pure" as I would have hoped. Long story short, dumped the rack stuff and now just use pure tube stuff live. But I kept the POD Pro because it is such a great tool for rehearsing and recording quickly and easily with great sounds.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

gresh

what pure tube stuff are you using now... I have a Marshall TSL601 combo... I hate the tone.. i can get about nothing i want from it. I'm a petrucci, satch, vai fan. I'm not one that really uses a whole bunch of crazy effects. I like a great clean, a great lead tone, and a little reverb and delay. I have a Boss G6 right now, and to be honest.. i liked the sound i got from it directly into a pa more than my marshall. I was looking at a rack system with a Mesa Triaxis preamp, but i don't have nearly the cash right now to put it all together. if you have any ideas or info to help me out or jsut to get started looking at some decent stuff.. i'd really appreciate it. thanks man
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 05:21 AM

Here's kind of a repeat of what I just wrote about my Pod experiences on another post

As far as comparisons of the models to the original Pod, I find the XT to have much more authentic modeling and speaker sims and to generally be much more like working with a real amp. The original Pod was much more plug-n-play, but after some tweaking, the XT definately sounds better to me, my sound engineer and to the guys in my band. If you don't have a good ear and a good idea of what sound you are going for, the XT is not for you. It is much less forgiving of bad playing than the original Pod, especially on the high gain models. I'm not saying I have a good ear or that I'm a great player, I'm just saying the XT requires a little more effort, but I think it's definately worth it.

I've recorded two CDs with the original Pod Pro and I can't wait to record with the XT.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 10:29 PM

yea

Don't buy into the hype on the XT.. I'm waiting for peopel to wakeup and realize what junk they are and the originals to jump in price. Yea there's more to tweak, but tweak it all you want it's not as real sounding as the original. It's got a dead and muddy tone compared to the original and the rectifier is awful. The original run into a good tube poweramp sounds more like a rectifer then the rectifier and many pro's have made that statement about why they use it in their rig.

Tags
amp tone , bbe sonic , bbe sonic maximizer , marshall tsl , mesa triaxis , pod pro , rack system , sonic maximizer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode