Line 6 PodXt or Vox Tonelab SE??? Or other? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Line 6 PodXt or Vox Tonelab SE??? Or other?

What should i get for playing dream theater type stuff on. Thats the tone i want. What modeller has the best quality amp models for that type of metal (all drea theater tones)???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 04:10 PM

Re: Line 6 PodXt or Vox Tonelab SE??? Or other?

of all the modelers i've liked the Vox stuff the best.. it's been the most real sounding to me. I, too, am very into the DT type of sound. I've messed with the Voxs some and have been able to get some pretty good smooth style lead tones similar to petrucci's. Line 6's have always sounded digital to me, whether it be the Spider or the Vetta. They just all seem to lack. try them both. Those are the only two modeling companies i have tried
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 11:17 AM

*points at POD xt sale in classified
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 03:52 PM

The models on my Boss gt-8 are right up there with the POD. The effects on the Boss (IMHO) are quite a bit better than POD. Did not try Vox.

Petrucci is currently using Mesa/Boogie Road King and Lone Star heads. The Boss GT-8 has a really good Recto model complete with raw/vintage 1&2/modern 1&2 settings. I play a M/B single Recto and the model compares favorably with the real thing. Try the vox, POD, boss and any others before you buy.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

sadly there are no good music shop where i live so i cant try anything out. Everywhere else i have been told that the pod is better for high gains. Please i need more opions, thanks

Last edited by Kipperfetish; 10-22-2005 at 02:01 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

I forgot to mention, i will be using this in my room while playing along to music on headphones. Which one will give the nearest tone to real recordings?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 10:47 AM

Get both of them used or off of the bay, play with them for a week (or a month, or...) and resell the one you like least. Since it's cheap, you might also want to try the V-Amp2, which MOST people don't like as well as the one you mention, but a few like it best. Personally, I like the DG Stomp a lot, but I don't usually go for really high gain sounds, which it's not great at.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 05:07 PM

I've been working with my V-amp Pro and I really like some of the sounds I've got so far among other things I like about it.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

any more opinons on the podxt? this is the one that interests me the most. BTW, ive heard a few high gain rhythm clips of the tonelab and dont like it. Anybody have any more tonelab clips?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 07:37 AM

I have been looking into a new modeler, and from what I have read I am going to get the new Digitech GNX3000. The POD XT Live and the GT8 have the most bells and whistles and programability. The one that sounds the best and has the best dynamics is the GNX3000 (IMO). Backing off of the volume will clean it up. Picking differently will produce different results. The GT8 is too tweakable for me. The Line6 isn't reactive enough for me. The Tonelab is to trebly and harsh for me. When it comes to tone everything is subjective. I just wanted to add another opinion to the pile. Take it for what it is worth.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 08:29 AM

Reviews: 1

I've found Digitech to be cheaply made, at least mine took a dump.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 10:09 AM

Everybody has their own unique experiences with stuff. I have heard nothing but complaints about the VOX modeling amps breaking down a lot. Haven't heard the same about the Tonelab. Boss is always bullet proof, but I am not crazy about their amp sims. The Behringer stuff actually sounds nice, but there is a latentcy issue when switching patches. That is a problem for live use. Line6 tends to be reliable. I have used a Digitech RP2000 (sounded so-so) for four years without a single problem.

There is a reason more than one company makes this stuff. We are some picky people.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 12:13 PM

im an XT live owner and don't really have any complaints. i don't use any of the preset tones, but i go online with it, download what sounds interesting, and then tweak those new tones to my liking. i can't speak about the other modelers in question as i've never used them.

that idea about buying them and then reselling the one(s) you don't like sounds good. just make sure to try and find a good deal so you can get your money back when you resell
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 12:42 PM

For what you want the Line6 or the Behringer stuff should be the best. I personally like the Yamaha DG stuff, but it's more suited for jazz/blues/fusion fender/marshall sounds. I remember liking the VOX amps, but can't recall how good the more hi-gain tones were.

The tech21 pedals/amps are pretty cool sounding too. I remember getting some cool hi-gain sounds from the Trademark 10, so maybe you should check out a Sansamp pedal preamp.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 02:51 PM

I use a Pod XT Pro (only real difference between that and the xt is the pro has more outputs- balanced analog and digital). For high gain stuff I like it the best, but only if you purchase the metal add-on model pack that has the Bogner Uber, Diezel VH4 Lead, Dizel Herbert, Marshall JCM-900 and JCM-2000, Mesa Triple Rectifier, Peavey 5150 II, and others. It's an additional 50 bucks, but it is killer.

Tags
boogie road king , mesa triple rectifier , triple rectifier

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode