Line6 or Mesa? - Page 3 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 02:20 AM

Re: Line6 or Mesa?

It's weird how the original poster hasn't been active for almost five years. It's somewhat scary. It feels like you are going back in time reading these posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 09:31 AM

triaxis by miles, recto is teh suck unless u dont plan on playing lead
post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 09:33 AM

wtf, why did someone bring this thread back? p.s. did he realize he should have got the triaxis yet?
post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 01:18 PM

TUBES TUBES TUBES, its sooooo easy to get a thick, grungy, perfect-for-metal sound out of those dual rectifiers. I wish I had one, I've played them many many times tho.. I'd say go with a triple rectifier tho, either way, they are both killllllllerrrrrrrrrr amps. (the mesa's lol)

Line 6's amps are too delicate, all that computer crap inside there, drop it one time and see what happens. =)
post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 03:15 PM

Reviews: 10
Exclamation Re: Line6 or Mesa?

Buy a Mesa no contest here!!!!
post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 04:52 PM

lol let's revive a 7 year old thread! doesn't anyone realize however that his rig is 100% tubes any option he chooses.....? he is talking about a triaxis into a 50/50 a line6 pod pro into a 50/50 or a recto head... only a dummy would say get the recto head because you are severely limited by an all-in-one package such as a dual or triple head... A preamp with a tube power amp is MUCH more versatile and you get ALL the tube tone. I say line 6 and the mesa 50/50 for the most versatile and tone-full setup possible.
post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmr7 View Post
But what kind of music are you guys playing? You all say, "tube! tube! tube!", but tubes aren't always what's best. If you downtune at all, tubes can sound very sloppy and muddy, and can't keep the bottom end together like ss and digital. I recently saw static x live and they sounded awesome!!!!!!! And they use $300 marshall solid state heads. I stood right in front of Wayne's system and not once did I saw "this would sound better with tubes" so it really just depends on what's most important to you.
Rule 1: Tubes are always best.

Rule 2: If for any reason tubes do not seem the best in any given situation, refer back to rule 1.

Being TriAxis/Stereo 2:90 owner, I can honestly say it is the best amp I have personally ever used, tried, lusted after or looked sideways at in a local music store.

What I don't think it does to a stellar degree (although as I don't really like this particular tone, I haven't busted my butt trying) is capture the "rectifier" tone - if you absolutely must have that sound, by all means get a Rectifier - for all other possible situations, the TA/2:90 combination will most likely be the last amp you ever buy.
post #38 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Rule 1: Tubes are always best.

Rule 2: If for any reason tubes do not seem the best in any given situation, refer back to rule 1.
This simply isn't true.
post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyr Machine View Post
This simply isn't true.
You should refer back to rule #1 again.
post #40 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymike View Post
You should refer back to rule #1 again.

he he he - I laughed.....

Okay, there may be odd occasions when tubes aren't the best, but I really don't want to actually witness them.......
post #41 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyr Machine View Post
This simply isn't true.
99% of the time, yes it is, unless you have no ears.
post #42 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
99% of the time, yes it is, unless you have no ears.
Jazz players rarely use tube amps any more, and they have great tone. And they certainly have ears, Wade.
post #43 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 08:32 PM

hey thats the only exception, the roland JC120 (JAZZ CHORUS) is solid state. big deal! rule #1 and rule #2 still stand
post #44 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymike View Post
hey thats the only exception, the roland JC120 (JAZZ CHORUS) is solid state. big deal! rule #1 and rule #2 still stand
Honestly, I'm a tube fan myself, I was just playing devil's advocate. Currently, though, I've only got a hybrid, although a very good hybrid: a Vox Valvetronix.
post #45 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 09:05 PM

To the original poster:
I used to own a Rectifier it was the best amp you could ask for if you like high gain tones.

The problem with tubes is output, you have to play really loud to get the sound out of it. But, in your case I don't think you will worry too much about that.

to HOLY KATANA:

I am really interested in those valvetronix amps, but why can't they put an effects loop on any hybrid amps. Sure the big ones have them but, I need a small amp with an effects loop. If I wanted and could use a big amp, I would just save my money and buy a tube half stack.

Do companies really think that I won't ever think about using any effect besides the ones programmed in? What if I want to use my loop pedal, then I can't record a loop with gain because the signal with distortion isn't coming back to my pedal. I don't need 50-100w I need 15-30w and no one makes an amp that size that's affordable (Japan prices mind you) with an effects loop.

Tags
amp settings , david mccarroll , dual rectifier , dual rectifiers , dual recto , high gain tones , jeff loomis , john petrucci , local music store , marshall dsl , mesa dual , mesa dual rectifier , mesa triaxis , music store , pod pro , power amp , power amps , preamp tube , rack space , recto cab , solid state amp , solid state amps , solid state head , tone monster , triple rectifier , tube amp , tube amps , tube power amp , tube tone , vox valvetronix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode