Line6 Pod XT - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Line6 Pod XT

after a few months i tried messing with this again. although the clean tones are outstanding, i can't get a rhythm for metal that i love. maybe i need to purchase the metal shop pack. anyone have any luck with it since the earlier post 2 years ago? i'm looking for that nice tight punchy bottom end tone...zack wylde meets early metallica meets the tone stryper had....i'm sure you know what i mean. the metal tones on the pod xt seem a little thin with bottom end separated, and there is always that fuzzy brittleness. i will try flashing it again and ordering the other model pack. just wanted to hear what you guys had to say. i do have the original pod rack unit and it smokes! it gets great tone and sounds very real and warm. there has to be a way to get a killer sound on the newer XT units.
steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 12:35 PM

Reviews: 3
Re: Line6 Pod XT

I use the Brit J-2000 #2 amp model with the 4x12 green 20s cab. Then I boost it with the screamer with the drive low and gain high. It creates a smooth distortion that is not lacking in balls!

I have been thinking about getting the metal shop pack because I like the sound of the 5150 model. I havent been overly tempted because the sound I have now is good enough TBH.

I'm trying to find a good tone for my electro-acoustic at the moment, but have yet to find anything that doesnt sound too much like a semi-acoustic at the moment. Maybe some more fiddling with the tube amp model and I'll get there.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

i'll give that a shot to see what it sounds like. i think i will wind up getting the model packs to have more to choose from. i have checked out all the amps and i like none of them. i guess i have to spend hours tweaking everything before i get something usable, which i i'm running out of patience.
i just got off the line6 forum and there are tons of threads going back 3 years on the fuzz issue with distortion.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 05:13 PM

You can use this device to record stuff on to the computer right? Can you put any pedals before it ? Like a OD pedal or a Wah pedal?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 05:14 PM
Banned

The POD 2.0 sounds much better. I have both, and have used both live and for recording. I don't like my XT for anything more than a pedal board. Well, that's my 2cents anyway.

Later, Darin
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 05:54 PM

I have the POD XT Live and it has a Wah and Volumepedal. You can record but you need some software for recording, I use GuitarTrack Pro. I also have all the modelpacks. I love the Annihilator sound, it's real close to the sound on the albums. The thing I really hate is the Line6 website for downloading tones. Why they don't have any qualitycontrol over the submitted tones is beyond me. 143 tones submitted by the same guy that are all basicly the same and that times 1000. And the search engine sucks big time. But the Pod rules!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinder View Post
I have the POD XT Live and it has a Wah and Volumepedal. You can record but you need some software for recording, I use GuitarTrack Pro. I also have all the modelpacks. I love the Annihilator sound, it's real close to the sound on the albums. The thing I really hate is the Line6 website for downloading tones. Why they don't have any qualitycontrol over the submitted tones is beyond me. 143 tones submitted by the same guy that are all basicly the same and that times 1000. And the search engine sucks big time. But the Pod rules!
So which POD can i use to record with? The XT Live? I already have a recording program, Does it have speaker simulation?

EDIT: Just checked Musician's Friend, and its actually the POD 2.0, Since my sound card isnt all that good, ive always wondered if i can record through this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
I use the Brit J-2000 #2 amp model with the 4x12 green 20s cab. Then I boost it with the screamer with the drive low and gain high. It creates a smooth distortion that is not lacking in balls!
I have found that to be a decent combo/patch as well.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 11:42 AM

Just thought I'd post a little example of my metal rhythm tone so you can get an idea of what can be done without shelling out extra for the metal shop packs.

PODxt Demo

I used the Brit J-2000 #2 with the 4x12 Green 25s with drive on 8 then boosted it with the Screamer with the drive at around 8 o'clock and the gain at around 4 o'clock. I also added a touch of reverb, switched on the noise gate and used the 57 off axis mic. Single track, nothing else added.

I'm using an RGR320DX with an evo pickup.

The riff is from Jani's demonstration off Young Guitar magazine
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 12:12 PM

Reviews: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalAe86TypeR View Post
So which POD can i use to record with? The XT Live? I already have a recording program, Does it have speaker simulation?

EDIT: Just checked Musician's Friend, and its actually the POD 2.0, Since my sound card isnt all that good, ive always wondered if i can record through this.
You can do recording with the usb input, and yeah it has what's called AIR 2 I think for speaker simulation.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 12:35 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Just thought I'd post a little example of my metal rhythm tone so you can get an idea of what can be done without shelling out extra for the metal shop packs.

PODxt Demo

I used the Brit J-2000 #2 with the 4x12 Green 25s with drive on 8 then boosted it with the Screamer with the drive at around 8 o'clock and the gain at around 4 o'clock. I also added a touch of reverb, switched on the noise gate and used the 57 off axis mic. Single track, nothing else added.

I'm using an RGR320DX with an evo pickup.

The riff is from Jani's demonstration off Young Guitar magazine

How do you acheive the volume you do? do you boost the track volume as you rip it to mp3? or?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 12:36 PM

I can record just fine with the input levels barely or right up to the "RED" in Sonar but never get any real volume after it is ripped to mp3.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuredMaul View Post
I can record just fine with the input levels barely or right up to the "RED" in Sonar but never get any real volume after it is ripped to mp3.
It's funny you should say that, because I recently switched from Sonar 6 to Cubase SX just to save some space on my laptop. I've found that mixing down to mp3 in Sonar, you lose some volume as well as some of the high frequencies. I sort of assumed this was normal for mixdowns to a format that isn't lossless, but it doesn't happen with Cubase, and the mix-down overall is a lot more crisp.

Maybe its an issue experienced Sonar users can help you with, but it's something I never worked out and why I now prefer Cubase.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
It's funny you should say that, because I recently switched from Sonar 6 to Cubase SX just to save some space on my laptop. I've found that mixing down to mp3 in Sonar, you lose some volume as well as some of the high frequencies. I sort of assumed this was normal for mixdowns to a format that isn't lossless, but it doesn't happen with Cubase, and the mix-down overall is a lot more crisp.

Maybe its an issue experienced Sonar users can help you with, but it's something I never worked out and why I now prefer Cubase.

That's also very funny that you mentioned that as I just recently implemented a "FirePOD" of which Sonar doesn't play well with and since it came with Cubase LE( useing LE for now) I thought why not give it a shot........I noticed right away the crispness of the recordings and thought maybe I was just imagining things. It's nice to know I was infact not imagining it...

Tags
clean tone , guitar mag , pedal board , tube amp , wah pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode