Line6 spider input problem... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Line6 spider input problem...

I have a Line6 212 Spider combo amp and a Boss ME-50 and that little boss EQ pedal... I just bought a Zoom MRS802CD Digital recorder and it is on its way. The problem is, my amp has no input/output source. Can I use the headphone jack, or would it be best for me to get a amp modeler? I can not mic it because I will be doing most of my recording with my wife sleeping in the next room. What I have sounds great through the amps headphone jack... would that be comparative to how it would sound on my recorder. Thanks! I hope these questions don't make me sound too stupid!

p.s. The ME-50 sounds like poodoo direct to headphones without the amp helping it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 02:05 AM

I regularly record my Spider through the headphone jack into my computer's direct in. It seems to sound BETTER direct in. Make sure to turn the master volume up to the 9 o'clock setting or so, and turn down the channel volume to avoid clipping.

Good luck, I'll see if I can scrounge up a good sample for ya.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithb
I regularly record my Spider through the headphone jack into my computer's direct in. It seems to sound BETTER direct in. Make sure to turn the master volume up to the 9 o'clock setting or so, and turn down the channel volume to avoid clipping.

Good luck, I'll see if I can scrounge up a good sample for ya.
That would be sweet man, THANKS! I would assume recording direct into the digital recorder would receive similar (if not the same) results. It took a lot of tweaking to get a nice sound through my headphones. I am curious of the results I will get through the recorder.

Oh, and thanks for that clipping tip!

What gear do you use through your Spider?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 11:29 PM

Check out http://www.soundclick.com/keithbarrette - there's a clip of something my band is working on, and a clip of me butchering Vai's "For the Love of God"

The lead part of both clips was recorded on a Line 6 Spider 210, direct in to my sound card (a Soundblaster Live! Value) from the headphone jack. I used the 'Recto' amp model, a bit of delay and reverb, both from the amp.

The guitar used was an Ibanez 540S.[/url]
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

I liked that second one. The clean sounds really nice. FTLOG was pretty good, it at least gave me a good example of what it is capable of through the headphone jack.

It took me quite a while to get the sounds I wanted through the Boss ME50, I just hope I can duplicate that to the recorder. I was jamming with my band yesterday, and it was the best it has ever sounded. Kinda like a cool southern Vai... if that makes sense. My recorder comes in today, so I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for your help!

Coov
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

It's gonna take a while to tweak the sound, but it looks like it is going to work out really well through the headphone jack. There are some really nice distortions in the unit itself, so there will be several ways to go about it. Now I get to learn the ins and outs of the recorder... ah, fun!
Thanks!
Coov
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 03:14 AM

Re: Line6 spider input problem...

Dude, where did you get the backing track for the Steve Vai "For the love of god song" I'd love to do that song, but I didn't know where to get the backign track? Thanks man..
Tim
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 12:39 PM

I have a Line 6 Spider II 112 and I run it directly into my computer's line in from the phones/direct out port. I did have to tweak the volumes a bit because of clipping but it doesn't sound bad at all. It definitely sounds better than recording with the mics that I used to use.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 12:02 AM

DoNetTim its www.guitarbt.com if you dont know by now

Tags
amp modeler , backing track , combo amp , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode