Little Black Amp Box - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Little Black Amp Box

Does anyone have one of these? http://www.jhspedals.com/products/ba...black-amp-box/

I am looking to buy a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo, but I only play at home. I haven't had a tube amp in ages, but I can't stand the tone of modelling amps any longer! I need real tubes!

The video makes it look effective for maintaining tone without upsetting the neighbors LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 07:17 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Little Black Amp Box

Whoops!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 07:18 PM

I wouldn't buy anything from JHS, based on their blatently ripping off other people's designs (Devi Ever for example).

These sorts of designs are typically only safely usable wit low wattage amps, no more than 30 watts anyway.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

I was afraid of that. I have been reading about power soaks, and they have a downside too. I am not sure what I will do, I just know I can't stand using solid state any longer!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 07:33 PM

You really don't need a massive wattage amp for home use. Look at the Blackstar HT-5 and 20, H&K Tubemeister 5 and 18, Orange Terror range (Jim Root and Dark Terror look awesome), etc. That way you don't need a power soak, and you can get some awesome valve tones at home.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I will look into those.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 09:08 PM

That's not a power soak - it's just a volume pot in a box. Run it through the effects loop, turn down the signal hitting the power section, so you can turn up the master volume. It's pretty basic. I've been using one with my Splawn for ages. It's the best bang-for-the-buck piece of gear I've got. It's not a miracle in a box, but I think it's great. I think you need a series effects loop though . . .
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

I am torn. I have done a lot of research on the mini tube amps. I like the Mesa Mini Recto and the Tubemeister 18. Both cost more than a 6505+ and this little device. I need to find somewhere that has them in stock to try them all, which is easier said than done.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 11:09 PM

So it's a typically overpriced piece of junk JHS product then. A volume pot, wow.

Seriously don't waste your time with JHS stuff. It's badly built, overpriced, quite often steeling other people's designs, all wrapped up in religious righteousness.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

I guess I could always run a volume pedal through the effects loop for the same thing.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 12:46 AM

Exactly. But again, you are much better off getting a lower wattage valve amp.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 05:19 PM

Yep - you could use a volume pedal in the effects loop for the same thing. Or, you could get one like the JHS one for way cheaper. I think I got one for $20. Just do a search on Ebay for "volume box" or something. Tons of guys make them in their basements. It's a fun little toy. I sold an amp to a guy once - and he tried it with the volume box in the loop, and he was like "can I have that too?" and I thought for a second . . . and said no way. I've never AB'd it with a high quality attenuator, but for the price they're a great idea for low-volume playing.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 06:52 PM

I see the little volume boxes on amazon for $15-25, made by some guy named Carl and the reviews are about 50/50, if that. It's cheap though and I'm thinking of trying it for my Tweaker 15. The tweaker sounds good practicing at bedroom volume, but the sweet spot is when the master is at 1 to 2 o'clock. I have an MXR 10 band in the loop with it's level and gain dropped low, and that helps me get the tweaker's dirty signal up around 10 o'clock, but it needs help to get to 1 o'clock without waking up my 6 month old in the next room.

You guys have experience with a THD Hotplate? Just read about it in one of the volume box reviews.

Tags
attentuator , bedroom , soak , volume

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode