Live Sound - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Live Sound

Anyone care to share what setup they are using for sound reinforcement?

I'm looking for something small, maybe a powered mixer and some cabs. The small venues don't 90000 screaming watts and the larger venues have their own house systems. In smaller joints we'd only be micing vocals.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:39 PM

Re: Live Sound

Kirk,
Even though you are in a small venue, I would still mic the amps and drums and run them through the small mixer just in case you need to increase sound from one instrument or another. My old band used to do this and it worked great when we had mix issues. One move of a slider and WHAM...bass player was heard again.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 03:08 PM

We are using...

24 track mixer.

Powered Sub. I think it's about 700watts. Kicks out the bass so we don't need big bass bins.

800 watt amp into two 15" full range speaker cabs mounted on polls.

400 watt amp running three stage monitors.

Thats about it. Very basic. We mic amps, and drums. The amps and drums just get a little push into the mix.

I wouldn't try and do clubs with much less than that.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 05:51 PM

The core of our live set up is a 16 track mixer into two powered JBLs EONs http://www.jblpro.com/eong2/eon15g2.htm
These are mounted on poles. This works very well for us and is pretty portable. We run the vocals, brass and keys though that and usually the kick drum too. The bass never gets miked and hte guitar varies (see below)

We have a couple of small foldbacks (cant rememebr who makes them) for the vocalists which I find is pretty indespensible even at low volumes... and use one of these fellas ... http://www.behringer.com/DSP110/index.cfm?lang=eng on the vocal mics as a dynamic feedback filter.... because most small venues mean low ceilings and terrible acoustics... They are pretty good for the price though adn it can almost fit in your pocket. Thats about the whole set up really.

on the guitar side of things I use a VOX Tonelab LE which goes via a DI into the mixer.... or I use one of a selection of vintage "style" 50w/30w amps which I dont usually mike up. Usually I use an RG2020x so I run the piezo of that straight into the PA... sometimes with a preamp or a pedal or two usually not...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Devo, I think you've hit it on the head. This is the info I am looking for. So I understand, the JBL cabs have their own amps, right? Each of them is 300W?

The band that I just left had a big rig - three power amps, mixing board, various processors 2 subs, 2 mains and three monitors. Nearly everywhere we went we were asked to turn it down. It sounded great, but was overkill IMHO, not to mention a pain in the ass to setup and break down after a night of playing, smoking and drinking.

The larger places that are worth playing have a house system & sound guy so I don't need a monster system.

Thanks, more feedback please!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaibanez View Post
Kirk,
I would still mic the amps and drums and run them through the small mixer just in case you need to increase sound from one instrument or another
why in thors name would you need to go and do a thing like turning up the drums!?
every other instrument can turn down easily if the drums are too loud..

IMO the only part of a drum that should ever be miked in a small gig is the kick.
let the other instruments organise their volumes around that and you're set with a nice low volume.

if you mic the kit up then the whole band has to be louder to match it for no reason. to please the punters and owners- quiet wins.

there's a real thing about playing loud these days, every second band/dj seems to be stupid loud and pushes everything hard through the PA, and you usually hear 2 things out of that... 1. a crappier sounding band with less dynamics, 2. customers complaining afterwards about their ears and how they couldn't talk to eachother..

sorry for the offtopic rant!

Last edited by Ki swordsman; 11-07-2007 at 09:06 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Nope, good stuff Ki. This is the feedback I need - I have had these thoughts, but sometimes dismiss them as my own ignorance.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 12:11 AM
Banned

I have a makie powered system, sm450's on the top and 1501's on the bottom. I absolutely love it. and an inexpensive $300 yamaha 16 channel mixer.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 07:36 AM

Just because you have a powerfull system doesn't mean you have to be stupid loud. It just means you have more headroom and a cleaner fuller sound.
You should be prety loud tough. I mean it's rock and roll right? I will agree though that there is a difference between being loud and being TOO loud.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 12:23 PM

Yeah... the kick drum thing he doesn't hit it very hard... its not entirely beneficial.. but for us it helps...

Kirk, the JBLs and monitors are powered i think the JBLs are 300w (ours are the previous model) and we use a cheapo mixer. Have not come anywhere near maxing the JBLs out, I think for small to medium gigs (i.e. 1-400 people) this simple set up works really well... its really portable and dead quick to set up.... for us anyway and we are usually a 10-11 piece covers band (1 guitar, 1 bass, 3-4 brass, 1 keys, 1 drums, 2-3 vocals).
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
Just because you have a powerfull system doesn't mean you have to be stupid loud.
totally right, i tried not to come across as saying that.. my point was aimed more at guys that feel the need to mic up the entire drum kit, then match the band to the amplified drum volume.

of course at a larger venue that can be more warranted..
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

So Ki, is it your opinion that 300 watts on each sides should work for a pub crowd?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 06:28 PM

i'm honestly not the guy to ask about any technical PA ability, i just have my opinions on what sound and volume should be haha..

but yeah i think the last PA my old band had was about 300 watts if i remember right and i'd say it was loud enough easily for most small to medium gigs provided you weren't miking up the whole kit .. if the kit isn't miked and you have bass and vox going into the mixer, and your speakers are good and can handle the bass well (we had 15"s with 2" drivers) it's not hard i think to get enough volume for a good mix. if you only need it for vocals it should be even easier.

if you want my advice though- i'd say rent. hire a PA with the specifics you're thinking about buying and try it out for yourself. then you'll really get a feel for what you're after. and part of the gigcash will cover the rental..

a lot of guys here actually just rent and borrow for every gig but it's handy to own something for practices..

Tags
power amp , power amps , speaker cab , speaker cabs , vox tonelab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode