locking nut with fixed bridge? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

locking nut with fixed bridge?

A friend of mine showed me a guitar he had assembled which had a fixed bridge and a locking nut. I was kind of surprised but he told me that before he installed the locking nut, the guitar went out of tune very often and that installing it solved the problem almost completely. My guitar has a fixed bridge and it also goes out of tune quite often. ANy of you recommends this option as an alternative to replacing the bridge and/or tuning heads? THX for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 06:11 PM

The problem with a fixed bridge and a locking nut is when you lock the pads down on the nut, it can cause the guitar to go out of tune. Without the fine tuners on the floyd, you'd have no way to adjust the tuning without unlocking and doing a guess and check type of thing.

For my money, installing some locking tuners would be a much more effective solution.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 07:09 PM

I'd say locking tuners and a graphtec nut.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 07:13 PM

Agreed. The only guitar Id put a locking nut only on is some ghetto guitar, and then only a kahler style nut
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 03:22 PM

If your playing a "ghetto" guitar, then you deserve having it go out of tune so us non-ghetto guitarists have something against you.

hahaha...im just kidding..besides, I dont even understand what I said...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2003, 03:30 AM

I bought a Graphtech nut and planet waves locking tuners, which did wonders for my tuning.

Exactly like the fellow mentioned above, when u tighten the pressure pads, the strings go up in pitch.

Tell your friend he's a boob if he thinks thats an ingenious decision.

Itd be nice if more guitars came with a "JS2000" style bridge which as we all know is a fixed bridge with fine tuners on the back.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2003, 05:58 AM

The strings may not change pitch, it depends on how well routed through the nut they are. If you have a string retaining bar that is well adjusted (as I do on my 550) the strings are heald down against the grooves in the nut, and thus when the allen bolts ar tightened it cannot go out of tune. The only reason guitars go out of tune when they are "locked up" is because the string was not bedded into the groove in the nut properly and thus is tensioned by the action of tightening the allen bolt.
-better shred than dead- ANDY
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2003, 07:35 AM

I agree with Jammy. My UV doesn't need a string retaining bar - it doesn't change pitch when I tighten the locking nuts (well...technically, it probably does to a tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny degree)

You can't hear any change - trust me, I have perfect pitch.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2003, 12:14 PM
Vendor

Just tightening the pads is what usually screws the tuning as they twist with the bolt.

I've never seen a UV that would stay in tune w/o the string retainer adjusted correctly, much less missing it.

Tags
fixed bridge , locking nut , locking nuts , locking tuners , planet waves , planet waves locking tuners , retaining bar , string retaining bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode