Lonestar question - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Question Lonestar question

I just got a Mesa Lonestar Classic 1x12 combo. I'm having trouble getting the lead sound that I want out of it, and I've heard some amazing sounds out of them before. The midrange is very...hard to explain, but "honky." It's just like "LISTEN TO ME! I'M THE MIDRANGE!" and when I turn it down, it just sounds very tinny. Not very Andy Timmons-y at all And the high end has a very odd fuzziness...sort of like a stock Carvin V3. But, again, when I turn it down, it just sounds dead...like I turned down my guitar's tone control. It has the Black Shadow speaker in it, and I have a sneaking suspicion that that's the problem. What do you think a Vintage 30 would do? Or, for that matter, any other speakers...I just happen to physically have Vintage 30s with me. FYI, my guitar has a mahogany body, mahogany neck, ebony fretboard, set neck guitar, so that could very much contribute to it. I hate ebony, and I feel like I can hear it very well with this amp.
Thanks!
Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 07:26 PM

Reviews: 5
Re: Lonestar question

Forgive me as you probably already know this, but I owned a Boogie F30 and Nomad 55 at one point, and what I've found is Boogie eq's are very touchy. Depending on where you set the treble can have a big effect on the midrange. Another idea ahead of speaker replacement is switching tubes. Eurotubes has complete retube kits, and they do make a difference.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 10:05 PM

check out the boogie board!!! www.grailtone.com

I have a Lonestar special and I run the drive at 5 o'clock, gain at 2 o'clock, treb 10 o'clock, mid 10 0'clock, bass 9 0'clock, pres 11 o'clock

the drive adds trebble, and the trebble adds gain. the tone stack is different than most amps. I have found also that if you run the gain high and the drive lower then it gets dark and smooth, and if you run the drive high and the gain lower then you get more clarity and bite. run the bass low!!!! the amp has a ton of bass. this will clean it up big time in terms of clarity. the mid will add alot of bass also.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Cool, thanks guys. I'll try your suggestions tomorrow.

Anyone else?
Alex
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 11:12 PM

You know now that I look at it. I run my mid ad treb closer to 11 than 10 o'clock.

Also check out the Timmons demos on Mesa's website. cool stuff there.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 11:35 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

I love mesa tone.
I had a triaxis and a 2.90.Superb equipments but they're too expensive here,triaxis +2.90= about 7.000 dollars !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So they aren't equipments ,they're jewels.I'd never take them out of the house to play gigs.
So ater 5 years of extreme ecstasy I sold them.
Today I dream about mark v.
BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Last edited by 6fingers; 07-14-2009 at 12:25 AM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 12:41 AM

its all about the treble control on the lonestar. keep ur bass somewhat low, mids high, presence low, and treble high.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
its all about the treble control on the lonestar. keep ur bass somewhat low, mids high, presence low, and treble high.
Thanks man. That's very clear and simple! I'll try it.
Smitty
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

UGH...nothing's working. I'm finding out that that it has nothing to do with the EQ. It's just a very "shallow" sound. It has this annoying upper midrange that I can't get rid of, and there's just no depth or body to it. But the clean is still amazing.
There is a really bad buzzing sound going on. It gets louder when I turn up the gain and drive knobs, and also when I mess with the send level on the back. When I bypass the effects loop, it gets louder. It sounds like really loud 60 cycle hum, or the sound when a guitar isn't plugged into an amp, with a chorus pedal and the rate knob turned up. It, of course, gets louder and more intense when I get closer to the amp. Anyone got an idea what this is?
Alex
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 03:43 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

ask mesa,they can give you a better answer.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 03:57 PM

Reviews: 59

Does it buzz on both channels? Have you ruled out the guitar by trying it on a different amp? I don't know about the Lonestar tone issues, but the buzzing sounds like a sheilding or grounding issue with the guitar.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 04:44 PM

Mesa's have a rather unique mid-range quality to them. Is this your first Mesa? If so, then maybe Mesa's just aren't the amps for you.

Really go and ask for help at grailtone.com. They will have your problem figured out in no time.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth55 View Post
Does it buzz on both channels? Have you ruled out the guitar by trying it on a different amp? I don't know about the Lonestar tone issues, but the buzzing sounds like a sheilding or grounding issue with the guitar.
Yeah, it's really quiet on the clean channel, and much louder on the distortion channel. It's not the guitar, I'm almost positive. I've played it on my Carvin V3, which has a little buzz, but it's regular high-gain amp buzz...much different than this. I also tried my Ibanez Metheny, and it buzzed. So yeah, the amp. And the cable is a brand new Monster...literally one day old, so it's definitely not that.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 01:05 AM

does it have the stock tubes? Mesa tubes are never very good. Retube with JJs. I use NOS 5751s in the v1 and v2 and Mullard reissue 12ax7s. JJ high gain matched quad of EL84s, and a NOS recto tube.

My lonestar sounds anything but shallow or thin. Especially in thick or thicker modes.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 08:22 AM

Could be the C90.
Can you try it through some sort of Mesa cab? I know Mesa combo's cannot always give off a very impression of what the amp really sounds like.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode