Looking for Acoustic Amp Recommendations - For my RG2027XVV - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Looking for Acoustic Amp Recommendations - For my RG2027XVV

If anyone has any experience with a particular acoustic amp maker or model, please let me know. I've been searching for something to handle the piezo output on my RG2027 and could use some advice. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 07:00 PM

Looking for Acoustic Amp Recommendations

Send me your RG2027, then I'll tell you. *:biggrin:
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

LOL!

To quote Ferris:

"If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 09:23 PM

Reviews: 3

Only one I've used was the big Fender Acoustasonic... the one with the horn and the speaker and all the effects. *really nice little amp. *The trace elliot ones aren't bad at all it seems. *Unless you want a particular feature in the amp, they are all pretty similar actually.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 09:41 PM

Quote:
jippy on 6:31 pm on Feb. 13, 2002
LOL!

To quote Ferris:

"If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

I don't have the means. *lol
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

I've seen the Acoustasonic at a couple of stores. I think I'll take my RG down there and play thru a few to get some ideas of how they sound. I was thinking of the Fender and Trace Elliot only from what I've seen in ads. Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know how it goes!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 11:10 PM

I played a $3000 Taylor thru one of Ibanez's acoustic amps. *For the money, they're not too shabby. *Sure made the Taylor sound nice.
I know of a local music store that swears by the Ibanez amp in their acoustic room. *They (HARDCORE EB/MM-Rivera addicts) love it.

http://www.ibanez.com/amps/specs/ta225c.html#

Check one out if you get a chance.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 09:26 AM

Slightly off-topic, but I had to mention it. Anyone besides me rather unimpressed by the majority of Taylors, for the money?

I played a $2000 model, and it just lacked punch and clarity.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 05:11 PM

I play my 2027 direct (both mag and piezo outs, altho I process both through effects units) and for me, the piezo sounds best direct. However, I played the Acoustasonic, and I would recommend it. It sounds big and boomy, much more than you would think, and the reverbs are like tanks... but in a good way. Makes it sound like there's an army of acoustic balladeers parked outside your ears. Kinda cool. Definately loud, clean, and powerful, too.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 10:32 PM

Check out the Carvin AG100D... it's a 3 channel amp--one channel is optimized for acoustic, one for bass, and one for either a mic or a line device (e.g., synth). Has 100w output, 12" woofer, and a horn tweeter. Lots of EQ options per channel, plus dual stereo effects (chorus, verb, flange, delay). Best of all, it's got an awesome dark green finish.

http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isearc...100D&P1=GA

I've had mine for over a year now--they've made some changes to it since I bought it (mine has only a single digital effect, not in stereo). It's the most versatile amp on earth. I started out using it exclusively for acoustic work, then used it for bass for a short while. Now my band is using it as a PA for practice--I bought the extension cab so I can get a little more projection. Like all Carvin stuff, it's pretty much built like a tank.

The downside is, you can't play one in a store, but you could always order one and ship it back if you didn't like it.

--B
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 11:23 PM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Polaris20 on 7:26 am on Feb. 14, 2002
Slightly off-topic, but I had to mention it. Anyone besides me rather unimpressed by the majority of Taylors, for the money?

Taylors seem to be more for the electric guitar player who thinks acoustics play like crap. *They all have slim necks, come stock with light gauge strings and have generally low action (along with other things...). *All the electric-only guys grab one and say "this thing plays like a dream!"

Personally, I think they sound like they are made of cardboard. *:-/
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 02:19 AM

Personally, I love the stuff that Ashdown is making for acoustics and piezo-equipped guitars... I tried one of their amps at the store i work at, and it worked great for both a E-Ball Petrucci 6-string with piezo, and my Martin Dm with a Dual Source system. It also has some basic effects...nothing over the top...just some chorusing, reverb and slight delay effects. It has options for either plugging in an active system, piezo, or ....I fogot the third channel...LOL

But it's cool...when we get them out for sale, I'll let you know how much it was...we're tagging them tomorrow, as we are a new dealer for them...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 08:27 AM

Quote:
jay ratkowski on 9:23 pm on Feb. 14, 2002
Quote:
Polaris20 on 7:26 am on Feb. 14, 2002

Taylors seem to be more for the electric guitar player who thinks acoustics play like crap. *They all have slim necks, come stock with light gauge strings and have generally low action (along with other things...). *All the electric-only guys grab one and say "this thing plays like a dream!"

Personally, I think they sound like they are made of cardboard. *:-/
Excellent description!! That's what I was thinking. Believe it or not, I actually prefer the sound of an Ovation over a Taylor. It may not sound like a regular acoustic, but it least it's distinctive.

Tags
acoustic amp , electric guitar , equipped guitar , extension cab , gauge strings , local music store , music store , versatile amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode