looking for amplifier for guitar solo practice at home .. - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

looking for amplifier for guitar solo practice at home ..

any suggest ??

and pedal ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 06:16 PM

Reviews: 18
Re: looking for amplifier for guitar solo practice at home ..

I have a few questions

1. What is your budget?
2. Are you looking for a combo or a head and cab?
3. Do you currently have a MFX pedal of some sort (POD, Boss GT Series, Eleven Rack, etc.), or are you planning on adding pedals to this amp?
4. What type of dwelling do you live in? (this will help narrow the selection based on noise, neighbors, etc.).
5. What kind of music do you play?

Jimmy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 03:17 PM

For something small, light, and apartment-friendly, I've been VERY impressed with my Tech-21 Trademark 30. If Marshalls actually sounded like the "brit" mode on that thing, I'd own one.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 04:23 PM

Reviews: 4

What JB said.

In addition: General consensus seems to really favor the Blackstar HT-5R amp head. Also, a lot of people talk favorably about the cheap Jet-City amps. The Orange tiny terrier amps get good feedback and so does the Vox Night Train.

If you want a Combo, the Roland Cube gets good reviews, but it is a digital amp. I have the Micro-cube, and it does not have an EQ. The amp models sound good for what they are, but I had a hard time getting a good lead tone. The Brit stack is very exaggerated, and has slightly harsh attack (which is a brit characteristic anyway but too much for me), and the Recto is very scooped and exaggerated, but the better models may have some middle ground.

For an overdrive, it can be hard to go wrong with a Tube Screamer. I recently learned of a good cheaper on that people call a 'poor mans Xotic BB-Preamp', the visual sound garagetone drivetrain.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 07:57 PM

peavey vypyr
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 10:25 PM

Reviews: 7

Peavey Transtube in used with either one 12' or two 12' speaker combo's are hard to beat. Usually they have a pedal to swtich channels, and they have a lead boost, etc, reverb, etc, and although they're not Tube, they sound better than some tube amps. I think Peavey really nailed many years ago on this Transtube thing, but that's just my opinion. But, that said, I have used Tube amps for many years and was a tube snob until I really checked out these Transtube amps.. The older one's are not that much better except maybe the speakers you can get with the US made versions of the amp. The Vypers are also transtube, but have all the effects and modeling and are made in China. Really, you get transtube with the Vypers, but I personally don't like all the effects.. others love it.. Can't go wrong with a good onee by 12 Vyper.. 3o watts would be perfect for recording and gigging at home practice, etc,
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 10:48 PM

Talking Re: looking for amplifier for guitar solo practice at home ..

I'd go for a Pandora or a Zoom or something of the likes dude. It has been working for me for years, and I used to one of these guys with a EVH-style AC light regulator between the speakers and the fully cranked up amp to get some damn tone without triggering a wide-spread hysteria in the neighborhood... LOL

Just walk into a store when you've got some time, take your own headphones with you and try them all, that's what I did and that's how I stumbled onto the Korg Pandora series.

Regards,

JP
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
peavey vypyr
i second this. great little amps
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 11:01 PM

Thumbs up Re: looking for amplifier for guitar solo practice at home ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
i second this. great little amps
I second that too. That's what I used to practice, jam and play live in bars when I was living in Mexico. Packs a great punch!

Regards,

JP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode