Looking for a boost... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Looking for a boost...

hey guys. Im Just in the process of compiling my first proper effects board (which i must say i am loving) but im looking for something to give me that little for boost for solos (seeing as my amp doesnt have a boost channel). I was considering an overdrive pedal, if i do get one, which one would you recommend? or can you get "boost" pedals? and if so where from? cus ive never seen one...
Thanks
-Better shred than dead-ANDY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 10:53 AM

Do a search on here for "Keeley" He mods DS-1s, SD-1s, and many other pedals (many people use a DS-1 as a boost pedal, and it works insanely well when you have the Keeley mod), and he has the "Time Machine Boost", which is a boost, plain and simple.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 11:15 AM

What type of an amp are you using (tube, solid state, modeling)? Generally it's hard to boost the volume of a tube amp with a pedal, but with an overdrive pedal you may get a little boost and significantly more sustain.

Personally, I like the Tube Screamer TS9-DX. Has controls for tone, gain, and volume--I run 'em all at 1:00. Also has four modes with slightly different gain/EQ structures. It's a very versatile pedal for the money.

Another possibility may be to get a tube-based pedal to use as an extra channel on your amp. For a while I was using a Mesa V-Twin with a Carvin Legacy to add a couple channels (one of which was boosted) to the amp, and I've also used a Mesa Bottle Rocket (which I've currently got for sale) with my Mark IV for a while. Both are nice and reasonably inexpensive ways to tack 1 or 2 channels on to an amp.

--Brent
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 02:19 AM

I'm partial to the Boss SD-1. Got one used for $30, and it has the same chip the old Tubescreamers have. Not the best choice if you need a pure, clean boost, but great for overdriven solos.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys...ive contacted keeyley and he has reccomended a DS1 with a seeing eye mod, which he said he would ship free of charge to me in merry old england, so i think im decided.
-better shred than dead-ANDY

Tags
boost pedal , keeley mod , overdrive pedal , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode