Looking to buy a Carvin Legacy, never played one. Can anyone describe the tone? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Looking to buy a Carvin Legacy, never played one. Can anyone describe the tone?

Since Carvin only sells direct, and no one I know has a Legacy I or II, I have no way of playing one, without purchasing it. I was hoping that someone can shed some light on what to expect besides a god-like clean channel.

What attracted me to the Legacy II is the fact that a boogie was too much distortion for me, didn't feel smooth enough, and to say the least, the clean was atrocious. A HUGE factor is that the Legacy II has a true master volume control, that doesn't effect the tone or saturation of the tone, when lowering the volume. Need I say more lol? The boogie's have to be quite loud to achieve that great crunch, but I found myself not playing them as much, as I would not play before 11am, and after 9pm, as a courtesy to my neighbors, who aren't very close, but definitely could hear it, as my friends heard it from the street.

Thanks for all your input guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 04:22 AM

Re: Looking to buy a Carvin Legacy, never played one. Can anyone describe the tone?

I would describe it as Orgasmic
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 07:28 PM

Reviews: 130
Re: Looking to buy a Carvin Legacy, never played one. Can anyone describe the tone?

Just out of curiosity, why are you looking to buy this amp if you've never played one? How do you know if you will like it? I'd go play one with YOUR guitar first, then see if you like it.

Cheers,

Race
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 09:14 PM

To my ears the best examples of the Legacy tone are all over The Ultra Zone, especially 'Frank' and 'Jibboom'. It's a little bit muffled but very present. In a way it's kind of the inverse of Vai's 'Sex & Religion' tone. It's a pretty magical experience playing through one and I came THIIIIIIIS close to buying one but ultimately I decided against it and got a Marshall DSL50 instead.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I absolutely love mine! It will be the last amp I ever own.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerevlon View Post
Just out of curiosity, why are you looking to buy this amp if you've never played one? How do you know if you will like it? I'd go play one with YOUR guitar first, then see if you like it.

Cheers,

Race
I've heard good things from friends (who live in different states) that own one. As well, as the fact that I've checked every Youtube video there is on one, which doesn't do it justice, but gives a good idea of the type of tone you'll get.

Primarily, I want one because I've played boogies forever, and I don't want that harsh distortion tone a rectifier, or mark series gives. I'm in search of a more smooth, clean distortion, as well as an amp with a good clean. I've owned all the great boogies, and none imo has an acceptable clean. From what I've heard the legacy clean is very clean, and glassy.

Not to mention the price is great. A 1/2 stack is around 1800 VS a boogie where your spending minimum 2500.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 01:05 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerevlon View Post

Cheers,

Race
Definitely agree with Race, because that's why I did before I bought my Legacy when I lived in San Diego, brought my guitar there and cranked it up to 4 and fell in love. You're right about your assumption of the clean channel, it has that crystal/glassy tone and I love it! The gain channel is what you make of it, this amp is extremely versatile especially since you have the choice between 50/100 watts. You can get anywhere from a JCM900 tone to a Bogner Ecstasy tone and being able to swap out the already equipped EL34's to 6L6GC's you have endless possibilities...I kept using EL34's because I love the lead tone it brings and as I said before, if you know how to dial an amp you can do anything you want with this amp...I play a lot of different styles from Prog Metal to Classic rock to Jazz Fusion and it can adapt to all...I know my opinion might be biased since I'm in love with this amp but that's why I quoted Race, he knows what he's talking about...Asked him a lot of questions when I was starting to become a gear head...Thanks again Race!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode