Looking to buy a new amp, input wanted. Anyone tried an Egnator Vengence? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Looking to buy a new amp, input wanted. Anyone tried an Egnator Vengence?

Hi Guys,

I am once again calling on the good people of Jemsite for your opinions. I recently sold my Triple XXX 212 and am in the market for a new amp. I got the amp for a steal so I sort of blindly purchased it knowing I could get my cash out of it (which I did) if I didn't get on with it well. I just did not care for the gain (not the amount but rather the tone, had lots of gain). I even swapped the tubes for KT77s and upgraded the speakers but it just did not do it for me. So now I need a new amp and am not quite sure what to do.
I play mostly higher gain prog-metal, classic rock/metal/thrash, and fusion. Basically I will need to cover allot of ground and will need a decent clean channel as well as some nice high gain (don't need to get into death metal territory, but wouldn't mind the option). I will be using the amp for home recording (preferably it has a good direct out) and small to medium gigs.
I went to my local store yesterday and tried a bunch of heads (Marshall TSL 60, Peavey 6505+, 6534+, and a couple of the Jet city heads). I really liked the 6543+ allot. The gain was perfect for me as I could get classic to all out brutal gain, and the clean channel is much better than on the 6505+. if I were going to buy a head today I would buy that one. I should also note that I would get a Mesa hands down, but it is out of my price range. I will be getting my amp from ******* as i can get a payment plan and not destroy my bank account.
The problem is the 6534+ head is VERY loud and does not have a power reduction switch. I feel it will be too much for gigs and unusable at home to record with as I will not be able to hit the sweet spot on 120w head in either situation. I was considering a 6505+ 1x12 but the cleans are just not usable enough for me. Basically I am wondering if I were to purchase a 1x12 combo with excellent cleans (fender, egnator, classic 30, etc) would it be feasible to get authentic high gain tones using a good pedal? I have tried this with a few pedals and can get a decent sound but I also do not have the option to try all the great gain pedals out there either.
Also I was looking at the Egnator vengence. It has switchable power and all the features I need for a bit less than the 6543+. No shop near me has one to try and clips on the interwebs are unreliable at best. Anyone played one that can compare the gain structure to say a 6505/6534? Sorry for the long post but I just cannot decide, any input would be appreciated. thanks guys!

-Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 03:08 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: Looking to buy a new amp, input wanted. Anyone tried an Egnator Vengence?

Have you thought about trying the Mesa Mini Rectifier 25 Watts. This is switchable between 10/25 watts. It is only $999. I play one at a local GC and the gain is good as the Dual Rect that I have. Also, you have a good clean channel to use.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11racksfx View Post
Have you thought about trying the Mesa Mini Rectifier 25 Watts. This is switchable between 10/25 watts. It is only $999. I play one at a local GC and the gain is good as the Dual Rect that I have. Also, you have a good clean channel to use.
Thanks for the recommendation. I decided on the Vengeance head after all. It has everything I want (including a 60/120w switch). I couldn't play it in person but I did a ton of research and listened to allot of samples. If I don't like it I will just send it back and look into that Mesa you mentioned. If I end up keeping it I will put a detailed review up. Thanks 11racks.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 04:26 PM

Reviews: 59

Perhaps take a look on the used market for Mesas. I got my DC-5 1x12 for $625 and there's lots of other deals for under $1K if you're willing to buy used....
The vengence is nice but I never recommend buying blind. Hopefully you'll like it and that'll be the end of your search.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth55 View Post
Perhaps take a look on the used market for Mesas. I got my DC-5 1x12 for $625 and there's lots of other deals for under $1K if you're willing to buy used....
The vengence is nice but I never recommend buying blind. Hopefully you'll like it and that'll be the end of your search.
I don't like buying blind either but I'm gonna take a chance. I would get a used Mesa but I am ordering from Z-zounds as I can get an 8-pay and it won't crush my bank account. Hopefully the Vengeance will do the trick. I don't like the fact that it is made in chine, but most everything in households today is
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 06:26 PM

Reviews: 2

Heard the Vegeance being demoed at GC, the guy was playing Rust In Peace riffs and it sounded brutal.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 02:38 AM

I played one and it was amazing. Very cool amp, had almost a mesa mark sound to it when i tweaked it one way and covered just about every thing else you could want. I have been very impressed with all the newer egnater amps i have played recently. I think you will be happy

Tags
vengence 6534

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode