Looking to get serious about amplification..any suggestions? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2003, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Looking to get serious about amplification..any suggestions?

Hey Guys,

I've been playin in a rock/metal for a few years now and its time that I get some gig worthy equpiment. I dont really have the cash to get a mesa boogie or a marshall mode 4 which would be the kinda sounds i'm lookin for.

My teacher suggested to me that i get a Pod Pro and hook it upto a power amp and run it through 2 boxes for gigs.

I've never even played a Pod so can any owners gimme their thoughts on his suggestions?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 03:07 AM

If you're serious about getting an amp modeler you should wait for a few months until the Pod XT Pro is released, it's way better sounding than the regular Pod.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 05:34 AM

If you want to get serious about amps, don't go for the gizmos.
Get a real tube amp, not a model of one. Check out the recent "Best 1x12 combo for under $1500" thread in this very section.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 07:37 AM

well u could go with a cornford hurricane or mk50 head depending on gig size.

as many already know i love cornford amps they are expensive but worth every penny.

a cornford hellcat is always good choice i love mine
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 05:13 PM

Seriouse about amps huh...

Heres my advise:

DONT BUY ANYTHING FROM SAM ASH, MUSICIANS FRIEND, GUITAR CENTER, OR MARS!!!!!!!!!!!

For the kiddies. With 1 or 2 exceptions.

(and of coarse any used gear. They sell used brands that they dont deal in new)
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 07:48 PM

Cool thing about the pod is if any venue you're playing has a good enough PA, you can just plug straight into the PA and not bother with the power amp and speakers. But then again, for the price of a pod pro, power amp, and speakers you probably find a great used tube amp. It depends on the sound you want. What does your style more specifically sound like? Do you like a lot of effects, or are you a straight into the amp guy?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

I've been thinkin bout just gettin a second hand jcm 800 and a good distortion pedal. The kinda music my band plays in rock/metal stuff like pantera,ozzy.. i'm lookin for a sound that would suit that style
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 09:43 AM

For the sound you're looking for , you should check out the Peavey XXX series. They have a new line of combos that are tube in all sizes and even with built in EFX. The prices are pretty reasonable as well. You might try a 1x12 combo or 2x12 combo in that series to save on some dough.
Todd

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 10:49 AM

The Old JCM800 are a great way to go for that style. Very cheap and very nice. My advice is try to get the oldest 800 you can like the 2203 and 2204s. The later ones are good too if you need an FX loop and channel switching.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 12:36 PM

what's your budget?
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 10:29 PM

Stay away from modeling amps, if you are getting serious about amps. Go tube, and don't be cheap. You get what you pay for.
Modeling amps have their place for practice, and having to just get by, but if you want a real tone, get the real thing. Not a "Model" of what it is supposed to be.
There are many many good amps out there in all price ranges. Just go out and play everything you can get your grubby little fingers on, and let the amp call your name.
Have fun, be wise, and love the sound of what you pick.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus
If you're serious about getting an amp modeler you should wait for a few months until the Pod XT Pro is released, it's way better sounding than the regular Pod.
XT Pro is out. It's in THAT catalog...

I question that advice anyway. Do some gear hunting. Start small with what you can afford (there's plenty of decent 2nd-hand stuff out there) and upgrade when you can. My experience was that I was perfectly happy with tubeless stuff until I got a tube amp. There's no going back.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjunky
Stay away from modeling amps, if you are getting serious about amps. Go tube, and don't be cheap. You get what you pay for.
Modeling amps have their place for practice, and having to just get by, but if you want a real tone, get the real thing. Not a "Model" of what it is supposed to be.
There are many many good amps out there in all price ranges. Just go out and play everything you can get your grubby little fingers on, and let the amp call your name.
Have fun, be wise, and love the sound of what you pick.
I think the "if you're really serious about amps, don't get a modeler" argument is crap. You can argue both merits 'til you're blue in the face, but neither are more "serious" than the other.

Ty Tabor and Michael Romeo both use L6 gear, live and in the studio, and I think they sound great. So do a lot of other artists. They can afford tube stuff, but they chose modeling. I think that says something about the state of modeling technology.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 07:12 PM

Like I said, go try everything. See what you like. Some people like the thin processed sound of modeling amps.
To each his own
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 07:22 PM

i personally love the flexibility of line6 amps. that's all i play now, but i still love tube amps. for a good "all around-covers all bases" amp. MF is blowing out the flextone 2's right now. the flextone 2 XL 212 is going for $549.

rich

BTW, buying used rocks. been doing it for a long time now...best deals!

Tags
amp modeler , guitar players , mesa boogie , michael romeo , pod pro , power amp , sam ash , tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode