Looking for New Amp: Need Advice - Page 3 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 07:58 AM

Reviews: 65
Re: Looking for New Amp: Need Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
I'd go the other way. Having to haul around a head and cab sucks. Especially a 4X12. The combo should be plenty loud even if you need to get an amp stand and you wont kill yourself moving it. If you need it to be louder you can add a cab later and only bring the cab when you need the extra. Most of the reason for a 1/2 stack is that it looks cool.
I tend to the opposite. While the head + cab is 2 things to drag around (note many times I only use my Mesa 2x12 cab) it is easier to carry. Since the head alone is easy to carry from the car to the stage and then I go get the cab or vice versa. Very easy. The JSX combo is a single very heavy thing.

But I think both wont dissapoint you, so have it whatever way you like. Thank god we are not all the same... (because you can't have my precious hrhrhr)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 09:57 AM

I recently got a Peavey classic 30... great little amp plenty loud enough for ~200 people gigs and plenty quite enough for use as a bedroom amp. Lots of gain and a stunning clean channel for you pedals... and all for very little money second hand on the bay. Hands down my best gear purchase of 2007.

Steve
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
I'd go the other way. Having to haul around a head and cab sucks. Especially a 4X12. The combo should be plenty loud even if you need to get an amp stand and you wont kill yourself moving it. If you need it to be louder you can add a cab later and only bring the cab when you need the extra. Most of the reason for a 1/2 stack is that it looks cool.
The head and a 212 is also an option. Thats what I'm going to do once I get off my ass and sell my 412
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 06:58 PM

Vox Valvetronix VTX amps (discontinued) can be killer for rock. When they stopped production I went on a rampage and have 4 of them now(just in case...). The recto patch is a smoker, but turn the noise gate off and always let the amp warm up for 30 minutes so the converters are stable. They cause jitter when cold.

Tags
bedroom amp , boogie dual rectifier , dual rectifier , engl powerball , fender strat , fender stratocaster , genz benz , joe satriani , jsx combo , kettner switchblade , marshall jvm , mesa boogie , mesa boogie dual , mesa boogie dual rectifier , mesa cab , mesa cabs , peavey amp , peavey classic , playing guitar , prestige guitar , roland cube , tube amp , vox valvetronix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode