Looking for New Amp: Need Advice - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Looking for New Amp: Need Advice

Hi guys,

I have been playing guitar for a while, and I am looking for a new amp (preferably tube amp) that sounds good.

For my current setup, I use the Ibanez RG 2550 Prestige guitar with stock pups, Digitech RP200 and BOSS MT-2 pedals. I sometimes use my Mexican-made Fender Stratocaster.

So far, I have a 30 watt Roland Cube-30. It was good at the beginning, but it can only take me so far.

So I'm wondering if you guys can recommend me a good tube amp for a reasonable price (I'm looking around $500 to $2000).

My goal is to get the Joe Satriani, Malmsteen and metal sound (like Pantera). I want an amp that is good for both clean sound and heavy distortion. The more well-rounded the better.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 04:55 AM

Re: Looking for New Amp: Need Advice

try a JSX or a XXX that'll get you in the ballpark of all those tones you're talking about
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 05:32 AM

Great Heavy sound, crystal clear clean sounds...
around 2000$...

You really have to try the Hughes & Kettner Switchblade, either head or combo depending of your budget!

H&K is really a GREAT (and undervalued) brand! built like a tank also....
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 08:17 AM

Splawn Quickrod or the Splawn Competition
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 08:18 AM

I recently bought a DSL100 mainly for the lead 1 channel. In Lead 2 you can get as metal as you like without getting muddy. What really surprised me was the superb clean.

The DSL is a great, I say great amp with a typical marshall tone to it. I will however replace the pre tubes for JJ's the round off the treble and get an overall more sophisticated ring to it.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 10:45 AM

I picked up a NOS Mesa F-50 1x12 combo last week. Sick amp. Great cleans and nice gain tones.

First off I would ditch the MT-2. The new Boss Metal Core destroys it IMHO.

What is your budget?
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 11:09 AM

don't forget the 5150/6505. killer amp. i use line6, but used to own a ton of those amps back in the day. massive gain and low end. great tone, too. only bad thing about a good tube amp is having to retube it. i remember having to retube one of the heads and one of the combos. each one cost me around $100 a piece. OUCH, considering i had 4 of them...and the fact that they are WAY TOO LOUD for clubs, i went with line6(been a line6 user for 5 years strong) and haven't looked back.

rich
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 11:15 AM

That is a good option Rich

I had a 5150 head for awhile and while the clean needed TLC to actually clean up, the gain was MONSTEROUS and I usually had the gain runed up to 6 or 7 at the max and got bone crunching gain.

You can find used combos or heads for a fair price nowadays. I might end up with my orignal 5150 head back in my possesion for $450 from the guy I sold it to. Most go for $500-$650 used for the head and average $100 more for the combos.

I never had to retube mine and infact I've been using a Fender tube amp with 9 tubes in it for the last 5-6 years and have never retubed (yet at least). I guess I've been lucky
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 12:37 PM

JSX is certainly reasonable. You can get them used on the 'Bay for around $800. Pretty great for a 3 channel amp that sounds like it does (i.e. really good).
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
That is a good option Rich

I had a 5150 head for awhile and while the clean needed TLC to actually clean up, the gain was MONSTEROUS and I usually had the gain runed up to 6 or 7 at the max and got bone crunching gain.

You can find used combos or heads for a fair price nowadays. I might end up with my orignal 5150 head back in my possesion for $450 from the guy I sold it to. Most go for $500-$650 used for the head and average $100 more for the combos.

I never had to retube mine and infact I've been using a Fender tube amp with 9 tubes in it for the last 5-6 years and have never retubed (yet at least). I guess I've been lucky
yeah, todd, retubing just plain suxx. when tubes go microphonic, its at the worst possible moment. when you don't need them to(rehearsal/show) and when your broke. as far as maintenance is concerned: restringing guitars is one thing, but retubing is a PITA.

rich
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 02:56 PM

Reviews: 65

JSX is the way to go.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. Originally I wanted a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier head and cab, but my friend who had it told me that he paid $2800. Is it worth the extra $800 from my $2000 max budget?
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 05:12 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: Looking for New Amp: Need Advice

a Peavey XXX will achieve what you want in terms of distortion and tone and it is cheaper than the Mesa!
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 05:51 PM

Reviews: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznGuitarist112 View Post
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. Originally I wanted a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier head and cab, but my friend who had it told me that he paid $2800. Is it worth the extra $800 from my $2000 max budget?
The Mesa is really really nice. I had one and loved it. But I sold it and got the (cheaper) JSX, as I fell in love with that amazing amp from the time I tested it. I still use the Mesa 4x12 as it is one of the best cabs around, aswell as the 2x12. Both are excellent cabs, but also with a hefty pricetag.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

For those favoring the JSX peavey amp. Would you rather get it in a combo pack like this? http://www.peavey.com/products/brows...12%20Combo.cfm

or buy both the head and cab separately?

Tags
bedroom amp , boogie dual rectifier , dual rectifier , engl powerball , fender strat , fender stratocaster , genz benz , joe satriani , jsx combo , kettner switchblade , marshall jvm , mesa boogie , mesa boogie dual , mesa boogie dual rectifier , mesa cab , mesa cabs , peavey amp , peavey classic , playing guitar , prestige guitar , roland cube , tube amp , vox valvetronix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode