Looking for a New Amp and would like some help - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Looking for a New Amp and would like some help

Hey guys. For the past few months, i've been searching for a new amp to upgrade from my MG10cd (i don't need to say that it's bad). I've played a bunch of amps, and apparently have progressed extremely well for being self taught for 8 months, and taking lesson for the past 2. So, seeing as how i despise my amp and wish to upgrade (plus the fact i feel it's holding me back tone - wise), i've been looking at some amps to upgrade to. I've been researching some amps, and want to try some, but i'd really love it if some of you guys (who've been playing a lot longer than me, and know more) could give me some suggestions for amps to try out.

My style - I play a lot of different kinds of rock, hard rock, and metal (especially metal), with a bit of blues - rock. My guitar is an RG321MH (completely stock).

What I'm looking for in an amp:

Cleans - Nothing super duper clean. Some breakup would be alright. So long as the clean's got some meat to it, i'm happy.

Distortion - Something that's between Death, Mastodon, Dream Theater, and Paul Gilbert as far as chunky-ness and definition. Something that can get really heavy, without being muddy.

Budget: Anything up to $900. It doesn't matter if the amp is new or used, so long as it's in working condition and sounds killer. it also needs to be a COMBO (no heads please). I don't have the space, nor need for the power, of a head

Now, as i mentioned before, I've researched some amps to try out, and i'm looking for suggestions, but here are the amps that i've been considering:

- Marshall JCM 900 Hi Gain Dual Reverb combo
- Mesa Boogie Rectoverb combo
- Peavey XXX combo
- Peavey 5150 combo

I'd like some more suggestions of amps to try (if anyone thinks i might prefer another amp).

Thanks in advance,
RG_FANMAN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 11:41 AM
Contributor

Reviews: 1
Re: Looking for a New Amp and would like some help

Well, most of those are good amps - I think the Peavey XXX is a tube amp with digital effects. You must have digital effects. :^)

-jemaholic
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 12:13 PM

RG_FANMAN!! my buddy from ibanez forums. quti those forums, no help at all. stay here . there are no dumb people like treva who tell u to shut up every post.......
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

He likes me since i said i like his Triaxis and his ESP.

@ Jemaholic; i've played the head version of the XXX, and really liked it. However, i've heard many people say the head version sounds amazingly better than the combo version (probably cuz of the 80 watt difference between the 2). Does anyone know if that's true?
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo1299 View Post
RG_FANMAN!! my buddy from ibanez forums. quti those forums, no help at all. stay here . there are no dumb people like treva who tell u to shut up every post.......
Shut up.

I just snagged a Rect-o-Verb 50 combo - the thing rules. It might be a little triicky to find for less than $900, and really it doesn't come into it's own until the power section starts cooking, so a Hot Plate is if not mandatory then at least strongly recommended (seriously - this thing kills puppies at 50 paces at like 3), but the sheer range of tones available from one of these (especially with a Tube Screamer out front for Andy Sneap-like chunk, a power attenuator in line so you can experiment with lower preamp/higher poweramp gain lead tones, and the three distortion modes and two clean modes in the preamp) is almost astonishing.

Other amps worth a look - I'd pass on the 900 and check out a DSL401, if you want a Marshall combo. It's actually got MORE gain than the TSL's, and is a reasonably versatile setup. I ran one through a Mesa 2x12 cab to get through a gig once after the TSL I was playing those days got doused in beer at the previous show, and was actually shocked just how much I dug it once it was running through a closed-back cab. It doesn't do the "chunk" thing as well as a Recto, but it has plenty of gain and will certainly get you into Gilbert territory.

Also, Gilbert's a longtime Laney user - I don't know their line well enough to recommend anything, but I'm sure they have a mid-wattage combo that might appeal to you.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Shut up.

haha, just go there and see what kinda guy he is. he's wicked, i mean, WICKED. all he talks about is how SS sux complelty, and there's never a time to use them, and how mesa boogie is the only real amp out there.... and there's a guy who doesn't even OWN an ibanez guitar and he's on the forums telling everyone else not to buy ibanez..... u can see why i quit those forums
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 04:45 PM

Well, Mesa ARE the only real amps.

I'm teasing you of course, and I was actually a little worried you'd think I was serious, so thanks. I've been to the Ibanez forums - in fact, when they first went live, half their membership that initially signed up was sevenstring.org. However, I lost interest pretty quickly.

Solid State doesn't suck completely - I love my Tech-21 Trademark 30 - but a good tube amp breathing a bit is a thing of beauty. Actually, come to think of it, with 8 months' experience under your belt and looking for an upgrade, one of those might not be a bad bet. They sound SERIOUSLY good considering how small and affordable they are - I'm not about to sell my Mesas just yet in favor of this thing, but it's just a FUN amp that's portable enough for quick jams and whatnot.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 04:58 PM

i'm looking at a older crate model that has some nice distortion. the only problem is with tube amps, is i play at a low volume and i don't haev much cash... but we'll see when the time comes around. right now my lil 15 watter will do
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Shut up.

I just snagged a Rect-o-Verb 50 combo - the thing rules. It might be a little triicky to find for less than $900, and really it doesn't come into it's own until the power section starts cooking, so a Hot Plate is if not mandatory then at least strongly recommended (seriously - this thing kills puppies at 50 paces at like 3), but the sheer range of tones available from one of these (especially with a Tube Screamer out front for Andy Sneap-like chunk, a power attenuator in line so you can experiment with lower preamp/higher poweramp gain lead tones, and the three distortion modes and two clean modes in the preamp) is almost astonishing.

Other amps worth a look - I'd pass on the 900 and check out a DSL401, if you want a Marshall combo. It's actually got MORE gain than the TSL's, and is a reasonably versatile setup. I ran one through a Mesa 2x12 cab to get through a gig once after the TSL I was playing those days got doused in beer at the previous show, and was actually shocked just how much I dug it once it was running through a closed-back cab. It doesn't do the "chunk" thing as well as a Recto, but it has plenty of gain and will certainly get you into Gilbert territory.

Also, Gilbert's a longtime Laney user - I don't know their line well enough to recommend anything, but I'm sure they have a mid-wattage combo that might appeal to you.
Damn you are helpful. Thanks man, and I'm able to nab a Rectoverb for cheap (used by me they sell anywhere from 800 - 1000, and they're in great condition)

@ Yoyo; You looking into SS amps?? Try Randall; they're pretty much the best for Solid State amps. BTW, the "I'm leaving thread" in the Ibby Forum got jacked, and is now an arguement thread. Right now we're ranting about blow dryers in bathrooms.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 09:51 PM

I'll recommend the same amp to you that I do everybody else.

A used 5150 head, and the cabinet of your choice.
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 11:59 PM

900s suck
Rectoverbs are good, but the Tremoverbs have better cleans IIRC
Meh
Meh

Also look at

Mesa Mk III
Mesa F 30/50/100
Carvin V3, I think. I don't know the pricing on these so I'm not sure if they're in your range
Laney GH 50/100
JCM 800, don't know why you went for its crappy descendant
DSL

Last edited by Phishphood42; 07-31-2007 at 12:06 AM.
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 12:04 AM

I like 900s...Nice and growly cleans...
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG_FANMAN View Post
Damn you are helpful. Thanks man, and I'm able to nab a Rectoverb for cheap (used by me they sell anywhere from 800 - 1000, and they're in great condition)

@ Yoyo; You looking into SS amps?? Try Randall; they're pretty much the best for Solid State amps. BTW, the "I'm leaving thread" in the Ibby Forum got jacked, and is now an arguement thread. Right now we're ranting about blow dryers in bathrooms.

i know, i'm watching it. it's hilarious. but it's so stupid. i topic there never stays the same for more than 1 page... it's so stupid. that's why i left. i did that whole drama post just to see what people's reactions would be and how the post would go. i was hoping kevin and jason would back me up, but i'm guessing they left too. i still can't believe how it's impossible to offend treva..... whoops getting off track.

i saw a JCM combo (i thk 800 can't remember) for around 600 bux on used GC.
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 10:18 AM

Death was a boosted JCM800 in the beginning, then a Valvestate later on(I think Individual Thought Patterns is the 1st with the VS).

One of the guys in Mastodon is a Laney endorser: VH100R.

Gilbert ran Laneys(mostly the GH heads, and the old discontinued VC50 combo) from like 1994 until this year. He's using Marshall Vintage Moderns now.

I would look for a used VC50 or VC100(if you can find one, they're discontinued, and nothing in Laney's current line of combos is really similar) combo for these tones. Both of these amps are loud as hell though, if you plan to play quietly at all I would 2nd Drew's suggestion of an attenuator. Webers are great and affordable.

DT tones are all Mesa. You might be able to cop the Images and Words/Awake vibe with my above recommended amps, by using an EQ in loop and maybe a boost pdeal out front if you need a tighter gain tone. A Mesa Mark III combo would get you these tones easily. MOst recent DT is Recto, which is well ...Recto.
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

/\

Thanks man. Quick question; are the Laney VC combos more than one channel?? I kinda like having at least two channels on tap.

Tags
amp tone , combo amp , david mccarroll , dual recto , kettner switchblade , mesa boogie , mesa mark , mesa mark iii , paul gilbert , power amp , solid state amp , solid state amps , tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode