Looking to setup a personal recording studio - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Looking to setup a personal recording studio

I just want to know since I want to go with using a computer. What are some good computers and programs for recording? Someone told me to get an Imac with Sound Logic.

I'd like to get some other people opinions before I go and spend $1900-2000 for something that's gonna give me complications.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 07:42 AM

Re: Looking to setup a personal recording studio

I'd go with a mac + whatever program you like the most. With my Imac and garage band that comes with it I've had -zero- problems in terms of getting it to do what I want.

The only issue you might run into is what means you use to get audio -to- your mac. With that in mind, I recently got a presonus firestudio project. Essentially it lets you record 8 tracks simultaneously into the program. So if you mike 8 different things and arm all the tracks up and record it, you'll be able to mix everything separately.

But so far I've been able to do 5 simultaneous tracks(haven't tried more yet) with zero problems with latency or sound quality loss, and thats all with just 1 GB of RAM, something that it doesn't seem like the "average" PC can achieve without total music-recording optimization.

I don't wanna turn this into a mac vs PC thread. But I'm just going off with what I've experienced.

Hope this helps .
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 10:34 AM

I love my iMac + Logic Studio setup. Very user friendly and you can get a professional sound. I get sound into it through an M-Audio Profire 610.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 12:16 PM

Get a Mac for sure. It comes with Garage Band, and its awesome! Logic Studio is good too, put you can take your recorded tracks from Garage Band, and drop them onto Logic to mix it, or add effects. (By the way, the delay effect for guitar on Grage Band is really nice) Good luck! What will you be doing for a Interface?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 06:26 PM

Another vote for Mac + Logic here. It's what I have and it's a GREAT setup. I love it. I've also got the M-audio Profire 610 which is FANTASTIC. For speakers/monitors I use these:

http://www.genelec.com/products/2-way-monitors/6010a/

Which are INCREDIBLE. lol

It's very, very unlikely that you'd be dissapointed if you were to go this route.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 12:41 PM

If you want simple, the Mac/Logic studio is hard to beat for sure. But don't count out the PC. It can do a great job but you have to do more homework to save money and still get a good system. I have been running Pro Tools on PC for 5 years now and have had excellent performance. I sold my Mac Pro quad after it got embarrassed by a new intel i7 PC that I built. But having said all that, an iMac with Logic Studio fits your budget and should work really nicely.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 03:16 PM

Mac + Pro Tools make sure you have both usb and firewire ports. Definately firewire is the way to go. If your planning to track vocals, acoustic instruments then think about a good mic preamp don't go cheap they more you pay they better they are. There are some good mid grade mic preamps from Focusrite & UA. If you have the cash Avalon is perfect..

Go here and do some research..
http://www.tweakheadz.com/rigs.htm

Bookmark this page its very resourceful.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 05:24 PM

Reviews: 1

for a different perspective, PC w/ 3xADAT card, Sonar8 and a Yamaha 02r is a great place to start too
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nato101010 View Post
Get a Mac for sure. It comes with Garage Band, and its awesome! Logic Studio is good too, put you can take your recorded tracks from Garage Band, and drop them onto Logic to mix it, or add effects. (By the way, the delay effect for guitar on Grage Band is really nice) Good luck! What will you be doing for a Interface?
I recorded this, well, my engineer friend recorded these songs of ours.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=920319

he uses a mac/Logic system
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 07:03 AM

im using an imac with pro tools (mbox 2 pro) and iv never had any problems, by the looks of it for home recording use logics probably just as good as pro tools if not better
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 04:39 PM

If you do go the Mac route, and if you're buying used, make sure you get it with Leopard. It's got a much nicer version of GarageBand. By the way, maestro1023, the quality on that link is really nice!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 09:18 PM

BTW, if you go the pro tools route, keep in mind that the preamps in their converters are crappy. they are pretty much considered glorified ilok dongles for PT. good thing is that the hardware works good with little effort. as a sonar user for the past 6 years, i have used several types of interfaces and once all of the bugs are worked out, is glorious. with any DAW, there is no "best" workflow will be determined through familiarity, if you go PT: go PT, digital performer: go DP, cubase: go cubase. try to stick to one that has staying power, though. the reason is so the support will be there from others in that same community. remember: safety in numbers.

what everything other than PT has going for it is the third party interfaces. if you find an interface that you like the sound of, see if it is PT compatible. or see if it has a digital out sibling via adat or sp/dif. most of the higher end stuff that is PT compatible like m-audio and digidesign will have a digital in. use the outboard preamp to get signal into the PT rig.

rich
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 09:24 AM

To keep things simple there is only one way to go with your budget:

Mac with Logic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TicTac in my eye View Post
....make sure you have both usb and firewire ports. Definately firewire is the way to go.
Very true about the Firewire ports. Check Sound on Sound link below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst and rain View Post
I've also got the M-audio Profire 610 which is FANTASTIC.

It's very, very unlikely that you'd be dissapointed if you were to go this route.
Myst, I will be getting the M Audio Profire 610 shortly but must also then upgrade my Prottols LE to M-Powered. Glad you are happy with it, makes me want one even more.

Last edited by Batchimp RG; 06-26-2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Getting my facts straight!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 11:31 AM

Hi Batmax! lol Yeah the profire is a surefire way to go. haha It's very good.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batchimp RG View Post
Very true about the Firewire ports. The new Macbooks DO NOT have Firewire ports!!! Be careful and Firewire ports are a MUST.
Where did you hear that? I bought my Macbook Pro March this year and it has a FireWire port. Also, check the specs on Apple.com:

http://www.apple.com/nl/macbookpro/specs.html

One thing I did run into was the fact that the M-Audio Profire 610 has a FireWire 400 port and my Macbook Pro has a FireWire 800 port. So I had to get a special cable for that. Didn't cost much, though. I bought a Belkin 6-pin to 9-pin cable similar to this one:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TP...mco=NDI3NDMwNw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode