Looking for a 'sitar' and other cultural like effects...help - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Looking for a 'sitar' and other cultural like effects...help

Hey guys, i've been looking at a few efx proccessors over the past few days...I'd really like one that does a sitar effect, as in the rythm guitar for FTLOG. Am also interested in a variety of sound types that you'd hear on steve's "Fire Garden Suite"...you know the types of sounds I mean? I rented a g major and was dissappointed to find that it didn't have those types of cultural sounding effects
Any advice on where I can get what I'm looking for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 12:43 AM

Well, for a lead, you can get suprisingly close to a sitar or even closer to a sarod simply with your phrasing on either a peizo electric or an electric acoustic. Suggested listening: Ustad Ali Akbar Khan's "three Ragas." Killer sarod playing- the first raga has an outro where the sarod and tabla start trading phrases, and it's just INSANE. Buy it, listen to it, then try to capture the phrasing. then listen to Satch's live intro to "Cool #9" on the G3 disc and be floored how much his phrasing owes to this stuff on that tune.

not what you're looking for, perhaps, but worth exploring anyway, especially if you find something down the road that nails that tone.

-Drew
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 01:46 AM

Ever heard of the Danelectro Sitar Swami pedal? Well just be sure to steer clear of that steaming pile of crap. Worst pedal I ever heard.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 03:10 AM

I'm not really sure there is an effect out there that will give you that sitar sound. From my experience, most effects that try to do such a thing will likely end up sounding a little too fake to please your ears. Aside from just picking up a jerry jones electric sitar, the other option would be a synth/sampler of some kind.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 06:39 AM

If you don't want to go for the jerry jones, or the sampler, you could try a Line6 Variax guitar, as it'll give ya more than just the sitar sound to goof around on. Can you say banjo-shred?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

so not even the g-force will do something like this?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 09:39 AM
Banned

I use my Eventide GTR4000 and get a great sitar sound.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 10:18 AM

Yeah, vai cut that with an electric sitar... which, as i recall, can be had sub-300, so it's probably more affordable than going for a processor. Or at least no worse...

Although, i still insist that for melodies the tone is just half the battle, and the phrasing is where the vibe comes from...

-Drew

EDIT- here's something else you can try- never done this myself, but i hear it works. Stick some aluminm foil under the strings at the bridge- it'll give you some of that same sitar-esq buzz.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew

Although, i still insist that for melodies the tone is just half the battle, and the phrasing is where the vibe comes from...

Yeah dude, your absolutely right....nice sounds are useless unless you have the right phrasing to support it. No doubt about that.

Quote:
EDIT- here's something else you can try- never done this myself, but i hear it works. Stick some aluminm foil under the strings at the bridge- it'll give you some of that same sitar-esq buzz.
hehe, funny you mentioned that...my first guitar w/distortion when I was 7 years old was a sears acoustic guitar with a yellow sticky pad piece of paper crunched under the strings where the sound whole is...instance distortion!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 02:43 PM

You need the roland midi pickup and guitar synth dealywhoooo...VG somethingorother...it has a killer sitar tone.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Yeah, vai cut that with an electric sitar... which, as i recall, can be had sub-300, .
Wow! If you find a used electric sitar for under $300, let me know! (and the Baby Sitars don't count- no sympathetic strings!) The last Jerry Jones sitar that I had was $650 used, and I sold it for the same price. New ones are around $795 w/case
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 03:22 PM

*shrug* i stand corrected. Oh well...

Maybe it was the danelectro sitar-like thing i was thinking of... which probably isn't in the same league as the Jerry jones.

-Drew
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

i'd really rather not go out and buy an actual guitar just for that tone....truth is I'll only use it occasionally. Playing it once a month would be hardly worth buying.
I want a good processor that will give me the types of sounds I want....i suppose the prospects are not bright are they?
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 04:15 PM

The Vincent Bell-designed Coral Sitars that were made by Danelectro usually bring big bucks on the vintage market ($1200+ at least). So far, Danelectro hasn't issued a sitar-like instrument themselves- Jerry Jones is the only other company that produces such an instrument

The Jerry Jones Sitars are really cool, and they sound great! But...they're a very limited-use instrument. I had fun with mine, but...it spent more time on the wall that it did in my hands.

The Danelectro Sitar Swami pedal is pretty feeble actually...I bought one from GC as soon as they came out. It was returned a week later
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 05:31 PM

I think that a Roland VG-88 has a sitar patch...not sure if you'd want to spend the $$ or so on a unit like that.

Tags
acoustic guitar , eventide gtr , fire garden , stomp box

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode