Looking for well known examples for Overdrive, Distortion and Fuzz Sounds - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Looking for well known examples for Overdrive, Distortion and Fuzz Sounds

Hi there,

I am preparing a lecture about the history of the electric guitar.

Initially I thougt it might be a good idea to demonstrate some sounds live... and since people tend to do better with things they already know, I wanted to play some "everybody know that" riffs.

Well, Fuzz war quite easy, since nearly anybody above 30 (most people in the lecture will be between 30 and 50) know "Satisfaction".... but... what riffs should I take to demonstrate "Overdrive" and "Distortion"? For the latter I had "Enter Sandman" in mind, but maybe someone else has some better ideas?

Regards,
Lenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 04:23 PM

Reviews: 59
Re: Looking for well known examples for Overdrive, Distortion and Fuzz Sounds

One sound sample you could use is from Chuck Berry. I read this just a week ago, so if you have the album then it could be relevant.

An early user of valve overdrive was Chuck Berry, who at the start of his career played through small valve amplifiers, the only ones he could afford. Because of their low output, they were easy to overdrive, giving Chuck's guitar tone a warm overdriven sound, which can be heard on his recording of his first hit "Maybellene". On later recordings he was able to afford better and larger amps and consequently his tone became cleaner. The earliest uses of intentional distortion that have been recorded were achieved through "doctoring" amplifiers and speakers. Guitarists would use a razor blade, screwdriver or pencil to poke holes into their speaker cones to create a distorted sound.[4]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distortion_%28music%29

That being said, try something from Jimi Hendrix for overdriven sounds.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 08:16 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Other good examples of overdrive are the Who.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 09:57 PM

Reviews: 39

The very first distorted guitar sound ever was Link Wray, everyone will know that song, and yeah people did cut or destroy speakers after that to replicate the broken speaker sound.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode