Low Budget Signature Models - Will Ibanez cut themselves sho - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Low Budget Signature Models - Will Ibanez cut themselves sho

I have read on Jemsite that Ibanez is to at long last discontinue the Jem555.

Rumors have it that ESP or should I say LTD are to release budget versions of the Kirk Hammett KH-2 & the George Lynch Kamikaze.

Is Ibanez going to leave a hole in a long standing product line-up.

I beleive the mass audience for this type of guitar is younger & less fluent with funds than maybe a few years ago. I don't have any figures as to how many Jem555's were sold but I would imagine this guitar has influenced a lot of younger players who may in time move up to a 'real Jem'.

My closing comment would be 'Which guitar will fill the hole of the Jem555 to the younger first time Ibanez buyer? I would chose a RG550 Limited Edition, but then I already own a Jem......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 11:16 AM

Low Budget Signature Models

On a simple level, i understand why Ibanez put out the "budget" Korean-made versions of the JS and JEM models. But it would make sense to me to just make ONE high-quality Japanese-made line of each signature model, drop the prices a bit, slim the margins down and make more money on volume.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 02:38 PM

They are replacing the 555 I believe (can anyone confirm this?)

Maybe with a DBK type model which is lower priced but is still a thoroughbred JEM.

On a side note, has the DBK been disontinued?
A guy at my local guit store said it had, but as I never seem to check out the latest news (or that of 12months ago come to think of it ) I'm not sure.

Cheers
Steve

(Edited by ripl3y at 1:43 pm on Jan. 18, 2001)
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 03:08 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

DBK in full production for 2001. I'm expecting the 555 replacement will be lower cost than the DBK but Japanese made.

In response to the original post... i think the 'hole' is welcome in that it removes inferior signature models from the lineup. The RG550 fills that niche nicely and long term it's better to lose a sale or two (of the 555 audience) than to see these people ask around only to find out they bought a lame-duck 'signature' model. Not good customer relations. For example, after the initial excitement of the new guitar wore off, how many JS100/555 buyers surfed around and felt shame when realizing what they got. I've got email from more than a few... glen

Tags
kirk hammet , kirk hammett

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode