Low-wattage tube amp question - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Low-wattage tube amp question

Okay; I have a question about small valve (tube) amplifiers. I'm currently using a Marshall Silver Jubilee head and a 2x12 cabinet. As you can probably imagine, it's not a practical setup for home recording, practice sessions or idle noodling, so I want a small amp for use at home.

I'm not bothered about features like FX loops, extension speaker outputs or DI outs, because if I want to record it I can just stick a microphone in front of it. The features I do want are a decent speaker (preferably a 12, or a good 10), a decent range of tone control, and a nice sweet clean-to-crunch zone. And it must look nice, since it will be sitting in the living room that my wife has decorated with great time and expense.

The options I'm currently considering are:

Cornford Harlequin
Carvin Vintage 16
THD Univalve with a 1x12 cabinet
Cornell Romany

I've tried a Laney LC15, and I didn't really like it; it didn't sound all that characterful. I don't really want to import a pricy US boutique job like Alessandro or Kendrick, so I'd prefer stuff that's easily obtained in the UK; can anybody offer any feedback on the amps I've listed, or add a suggestion they think I should consider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 08:14 PM

I dont know about any of that stuff you mentioned, but if you decide to sell that Marshall let me know

Pete
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 08:14 AM

The cornford harlequin rules!!! Im hoping to get one within the next few months!

Good luck!
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 04:30 PM

Re: Low-wattage tube amp question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecca777
I've tried a Laney LC15, and I didn't really like it; it didn't sound all that characterful
the 10 speaker is one of the problems of the lc15, the lack of reverb is another, try a lc15r (has reverb + effects loop + output for cabinet)

had you tried the vc30 with a 1x12?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 06:54 PM

Harlequin is what I would have bought if I lived in UK. But it's not a quiet amp by any means. It's just about as not practical as you Marshall in fact (assuming you want to crank it). You probably know the relationship between the power and the volume, but if you don't, 100 watt amp is only twice as loud as 100W amp. I'd better look for an amp that sounds good not cranked (my TOL100 does!) if you want truly bedroom volumes or for an attenuator.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Re: Low-wattage tube amp question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezifon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecca777
I've tried a Laney LC15, and I didn't really like it; it didn't sound all that characterful
the 10 speaker is one of the problems of the lc15, the lack of reverb is another, try a lc15r (has reverb + effects loop + output for cabinet)

had you tried the vc30 with a 1x12?
Tezifon, thanks for the tip; but I've tried an LC15R as well, and I still didn't think it was up to much. I haven't looked at any 30w amps, because my Marshall can be switched down to 25w and it's still fairly deafening; not really suitable for late-night playing or idle noodling at "conversation volume", which is all I'm after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by microdmitry
I'd better look for an amp that sounds good not cranked (my TOL100 does!) if you want truly bedroom volumes or for an attenuator.
microdmitry, thanks for the input; I suppose I could try widening my search to mid-powered amps, but as I said in my reply to Tezifon, I'm only after something small; apart from anything else, I really don't have the room for another head/cabinet setup or a full-sized 2x12 combo, or I'd be looking for another Marshall Silver Jubilee instead!

Anyway, there's a Cornford dealer in my local city centre, so I reckon I'll try a Harlequin on Monday. I just hope I can resist the temptation to start trying MK50Hs, Hellcats, etc...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 10:04 PM

I've played through a Carvin Vintage 16 that belongs to a friend of mine. It has awesome tone and is a great recording amp.

The only complaint he had was that the 100 watt speaker was "too efficient or sterile sounding". He swapped it with a Celestion 25 watt Greenback and the difference was remarkable.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 01:56 PM
Banned

Soldano makes a line (or they used to?) that where low wattage, like 18 watts... Astroverb was one, I can't remember he other. They kill.
Also, Budda makes a Superdrive 18 (18 watts) that is increadable. I have the Superdrive 30 (30 watts) and it's awesome.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 05:30 AM

Laney LC-30, the drive sounds good at late night noodle levels. There's a company, not sure who, but they always have an ad in the back of total guitar, who do a Jensen 10" speaker upgrade for the LC15r to make it sound like muchx more of a beast!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 09:37 AM

Have you considered just getting a THD Hotplate....I think they run around $279.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 01:37 PM

I use the Laney LC15 with my GT3 and tubefactor at home. It has a total different sound than my marshall. After playing the laney for a month without even touching my marshall, I was used to the tone more than the marshall.

I like the sound, not too loud, looks good, not expensive...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 01:44 PM

That Carvin looks nice and sounds good from the jam room demo I heard. Can also be switched done to 5W in triode mode. I agree with Screamjem, a 100W speaker is probably a little too 'efficient' for an amp like that. You want it all... preamp, power amp, and speaker distortion. Nice little amp, that I plan on getting myself.

Tags
power amp , thd hotplate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode