Mac or Alienware???? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Mac or Alienware????

Hi all Jemsiters I'm shopping around for a new comp.Im wanting it to do everything on the recording side so I like mac.but I want to play d00m 3,far cry,half-life 2 etc... and thats not on Mac. and its the same price (budget a little over 2 grand on comp.)($1000 on software) this will be my 1st comp. since 98 ( I know )so what would you recommend.You think a pentium 4w/ht tech.3.0Ghz,160gigs 1gig Ram,GEforce 6800.you think this will work for both.It also will be 1st time for recording on comp.Im thinking a Mbox or Cubase,and Reason or somthing like that.Thanks for all your advice!!!!! PEACE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 01:40 AM

I'd go with the Alienware and get two hard drives. One for recording and one for everything else. Mac's are supposed to be great and all but I think you can get good software and performance from a Windows based pc, plus play Doom III when you feel like it.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 03:52 PM

Alienware sounds cool, but it might distract you from actually making music....lol
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 02:08 AM

jebus, mac.

alienware is WAY overpriced. and for the performance, the mac isn't.

software is priced the same, and jebus, you don't have to deal with windows.

mac = win.

~A
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 12:40 AM

If you want to record, play games, and get caught up in the whole techie scene (which is not a bad thing by no means) go with Alienware.

If you want to get work done, and be able to just record without worrying about setting things up right and all the techie-business, go Mac.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 02:18 PM

If you don't know how to build your own PC, get the Alienware. If your a first time computer user, get a Mac.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVampire
If your a first time computer user, get a Mac.
lol, this may have been the thing to say 10 years ago, but come on. We have OS X now. Unix backend. Unmatched stability. Virus and spyware free. Relentless innovation.

OS X is undoubtably at least 3 years ahead of Windows, and when Tiger comes out next year the distance will get even further.

Buy an imac with logic 7 and you will have everything you need for audio and you'll have enough money left to build a cheap PC to play video games on. Or buy an xbox for video games.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 06:36 PM

I'd say get an Apple. For games you could buy an Xbox(or Playstation2) or buy a used PC(some great deals can be found if you look) and add some better parts(graphics card, Ram, etc..) and have a decent gaming machine, totally seperate from your recording setup.

If you decide to sell your computer and upgrade. Apple's machines have a great resale value while most PC's have don't. Check E.bay for example.

software wise: Apple's GarageBand is a simple/cheap solution and you could progress later towards Reason along with Digital Performer or Logic.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVampire
If you are a first time computer user, get a Mac.
I agree, don't waste your time with all of the problems of a Windows based computer. If you aren't a first time computer user get a Apple anyways. It'll save you money and probaly quite a few headaches.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 04:03 AM

Quote:
"Soup Kitchen Studios]lol, this may have been the thing to say 10 years ago, but come on. We have OS X now. Unix backend. Unmatched stability. Virus and spyware free. Relentless innovation.

OS X is undoubtably at least 3 years ahead of Windows, and when Tiger comes out next year the distance will get even further.

Buy an imac with logic 7 and you will have everything you need for audio and you'll have enough money left to build a cheap PC to play video games on. Or buy an xbox for video games.
I'll give ya that one. But I've got Windows and Linux! Nah it's not that I'm a Mac hater, I'm just a PC user that's all. OS X blows away Windows. How many hardcore PC users do you hear admit that?!? OS X rules I wish we had something backended by Linux and then have crossplatform software for both systems.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 10:26 PM

In the PC world, custom's the only way to fly. I wouldn't want something I can't change something out on in 6 months if I so felt like it.

You can have Monarch computers build an Alienware clone (component-wise, minus the ugly case) for a helluva lot less, that's better for audio use.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

I think Im going to go w/Cyberpower system and make a custom comp.w/2 160 gig hard drives.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 06:40 PM

Gotta put in another vote for the Mac....

Yes, PCs are everywhere. Except in audio...I work at a professional studio, have recorded at a few places, go to school at Berklee. I've only seen a couple PCs in these venues, and they are usually old outdated ones used only to surf.

If you decide to go PC, cool. But Macs are so prolific in the music world, for good reason. They are a bit pricey, but not overpricey like an alienware.

Good luck whatever you decide!

-Andy Renault
Boston, MA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

buy alienware m15x online
where can i buy alienware offline

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode