MADISON DIVINITY head vs. Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

MADISON DIVINITY head vs. Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100

Hi guys. I'm stuch between a Madison Divinity head with matching 412 cab and a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 with 1960B cab. What is better for me? Where is Madison made?? Are they any good? Their site is
www[dot]madisonamps[dot]com I play modern rock like Sum 41 and Saosin and some metal liek Killswitch Engage. Let me know guys...thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 07:34 PM

Re: MADISON DIVINITY head vs. Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100

Madisons are poorly made in China and I heard they have horrible service and mediocre sound.

Deicide was using Madisons when I saw then, and I asked Ralph and he didn't seem like he liked them very much.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Thep View Post
Madisons are poorly made in China and I heard they have horrible service and mediocre sound.

Deicide was using Madisons when I saw then, and I asked Ralph and he didn't seem like he liked them very much.
I guess he was getting them for nothing then.......
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 09:55 PM

Reviews: 3

I thought you were stuck on a dsl and a stilleto deuce? I would take a stilleto over a madison divinity anytime. Before you actually consider buying an amp you really need to check one out instead of relying on what people say about it. My definition of 'smooth' or 'chunky' or whatever might not be(and probably aren't) the same as yours. I'm not saying more obscure brands you see ads for in the back of GW aren't bad, but just because someone is endorsing it it doesn't necassarily make it good either. Sure, they may sound great in the studio[and i've never heard deicide(sp?)] but that's not really a great way of determining if an amp is 'right'. If you have a grand(and only a grand that won't come again anytime soon) to spend on an amp you really need to hear it. Honestly I'm curious about how you went from a Mesa to a Madison. Just curious.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Im not going form Mesa To Madison im just getting other's opinions on the amps that I dodnt try and/or never saw in my local music stores or heard. Mesa is a good head(Stiletto I) but most reviews I read say that the Mesa Stiletto I is poorly built cuz it doesnt have that Hollywood chip or whatever liek the Stiletto Deuce does. Dont get me wrong...its an awesome amp. Mesa makes one of the best amps money can buy. But Im still searching...I finally tried a DSL 100 and its not my amp..not my sound...the Divinity is not my amp as well. So now what??? I guess im gonna keep on looking. Im stuck between a Mesa combo (Rectoverb Single Rectifier), a Peavey XXX head, Peavey XXX combo, Peavey 6505+ head. And I found myself a nice 212 Peavey XXL cab.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 10:52 PM

if you're really stuck on that balls out crunchy tone I'd really recommend the 6505 over a xxx. Neither have fantastic cleans but the 6505+ is more 'harmonic' than a xxx. A xxx does however give you 3 channels. It's not a 'bad' amp per se, but for my tastes it's just waaay too saturated, too buzzy, just overkill I guess.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 11:41 PM

Stilleto>DSL>Madison. I liked the vintage modern too, but its not really a two channel amp
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 01:37 PM
rgr

Just my $0.02, I live about 30 minutes from Madison and have tried to talk to them about checking some of their amps out in the past. Their customer service sux. And really, can you have a more cheesy logo these days?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

lol yea. I guess the logo is wat counts to Madison.

to texshred: Hey man. Thanks for the info. Wats a good amp to you then?? What woudl you recommend for that "crunch" (BTW i dont have money for a Diezel lol)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 02:08 AM

hey, my sound is probably not your sound, but I like the dsl, I like the mesa rect-o-verb, mesa nomad, mesa mark iv, but my fav is rivera. If you can ever manage to find a tbr-1(or 2) sl give it a shot...but good luck finding one!(i'm still trying to find another one) It may not be saturated enough for some, but I think it's a great amp. Hell, if you find one and don't like it I'll buy it from you! If you want to hear what one (can) sound like check out jeffrey's(old jemsiter, haven't seen him here for awhile, but hes at ebmm forums alot I think) or his band's myspace. (13 muses)Keep in mind he's using a pretty good 7 string. But as far as amps you can actually find used and relatively affordable try a 5150(1 or 2)/or a peavey 6505(same thing essentially). I dont have any experience with one(soldano slo), but I hear that a 5150 is voiced a lot like a soldano slo. I had a 5150 for about 10 minutes, and if the clean was worth a sh**, i might have kept it. But once again remember that my definitions are not necassarily yours, and I hate to sound like a cliche here but tone really is in the fingers. A flabby palm mute might not be the amp but your technique rather. But hey, opinions are worth what you pay for them. Just take your money and get what you want. You'll be better off saving up a bit more and getting something you'll really like than buying crap and trying to trade up plus cash. The price should be no more than about 25% of your thought process. Getting stuck on the whole 'it's only $500 new"!! mindset will inevitably cost you more down the line. Unless you tried it out and really liked it. Just don't let the price play with your ears. Hey I know it's a long answer to a short question, but oh well.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

O MAN. Texshred777 your the best Jemsiter!!! lol Thanks for the opinions i highly appreciate them. BTW. I tried a Mesa Dual Rec head (it was used for 1200 CANADIAN!!) I liked it alot. But dont you have to crank it to get a good tone because when I played at low volumes, I notices it was 'thin' sounding if you know what i mean. And also tube changes are alot for the head(it has liek 12 tubes) One of the store people said it costs about 150 to change em. Well thats what you get..high maintaince for an expensive amp right? But I know its worth it. I dont play in a band nor do i gig. I just play at my house. Just practice im not a pro. Im still learning. Im 16 so I cant really buy everything I want. I work for my stuff. I have another option..get like a Line 6 Vetta I 2.5 and get another guitar...or somehtiung fancy liek a 6505+ with a 212 XXL Peavey cab or a Marshall Mode 4 with a XXL 212 cab...or some JSX combo. Thats all I could afford right now.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 12:31 AM

Neither, get a Splawn Quickrod
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
Win!!!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
no, get a 15 watt crate SS
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPrestigeRGAx View Post
And I found myself a nice 212 Peavey XXL cab.
oh really.. didnt know they made a nice xxl cab.. i thought they were all sh*t..

blue marvel speakers for life!!

Tags
jsx combo , local music store , mesa dual , mesa mark , mesa nomad , music store , palm mute , peavey xxl , peavey xxx head , soldano slo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode