Making your own backing tracks? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Question Making your own backing tracks?

Ok, I remember a friend using a piece of software to make his own backing tracks when I was a kid (something along the lines of 'e-jam' or something like that.) I'm thinking technology will have come a little further since then, so does anyone know of any decent non-complicated software that allows you to record backing tracks and the like? You know, like a drum track and maybe a bass track?

The thing is, it's the same thing as over on the DVD repair thread, using Google just throws a ****load of adverts for people that want to make you backing tracks and it's a pain in the backside when all you want is some software. I don't even mind paying so long as it's quality stuff and not some MIDI crap, but at the same time, if it IS MIDI crap I don't mind if it's cheap or free.

Any suggestions? You guys are good with this kind of stuff

Thanks in advance for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 07:12 PM

Reviews: 25
Re: Making your own backing tracks?

FRUITY LOOPS is damn easy to use and the quality is great
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Whoa I'm a dumb arse. I've been trying this thing and can't quite get it right, I'm a complete noob with this kind of stuff.

I guess drummers are useful after all
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 06:12 AM

Reviews: 16

That's what I use to master my music in. In the past I built the drum track using individual drums and cymbals, but here lately I've been getting lazy and using the MIDI drum loops, which are humanized and easy to put into a song.

I think the bottom version of FLStudio is about $49, but I don't know what all you get with that. I'm using the Producer version which is $149. I feel it's just as powerful and quality packed as other big name DAWs like Ableton Live, ProTools, etc.

Go to FLStudio.com and download the demo. If you decide to buy the downloadable version all you have to do is install the registry key that they send you and it'll unlock the demo you downloaded to whatever version you bought.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I've tried it, but I just find it overly complicated for what I want.

I've been playing for years but played in bands so it's never been an issue... but it is now.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 06:18 AM

Reviews: 16

I don't think you're going to find something else that's as easy as FLStudio that can do it all. You found it overly complicated? I actually founded quite easy to get going on it. There's tutorials all over the place for it.

Good luck.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Basically, I just don't have time to sit and learn how to use something like this properly.

I'd love it if there was some kind of software you could use to eliminate vocals and guitar from tracks, that would be AWESOME, but there isn't such thing I don't think
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney2018 View Post
You found it overly complicated?
To get the results I want, yes. Like I say, I just don't have time to learn something like that. I study, have 2 jobs and have to come on Jemsite some time or another fit family and friends into the equation and it doesn't leave me with much time for this stuff. I really want to just pick up my guitar and play if you get what I'm saying.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 07:09 AM

Reviews: 3

If i want to play along to a track, I'll usually just play along to it in Guitar Pro and mute the guitar part that I'm playing. It's the easiest way, since you dont have to spend time constructing the thing, by which point I'd have probably lost interest anyway. You can download the guitar pro file for practically any song you want if you know where to look...

Of course it will still be midi sounds, but it is minimal effort.

However, a method I use for recording my own songs is to write it out in Guitar Pro, then import the drum track and non-guitar tracks into cubase and use VST instruments like EZDrummer, then record in the guitar parts. It'll work for making backing tracks too, but of course you'll have to record the whole song yourself. I don't find this way too complicated, but I have done a course in studio technology... it's also not cheap, but the results are excellent.

Unfortunately there is no such programme to remove individual tracks, unless you have access to the original recording... I believe line 6 has done something like that for a lot of songs if you subscribe to their service.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249 View Post
Basically, I just don't have time to sit and learn how to use something like this properly.

I'd love it if there was some kind of software you could use to eliminate vocals and guitar from tracks, that would be AWESOME, but there isn't such thing I don't think
You could try a Boss Micro BR - You can remove the centre channel from an MP3. It's not perfect but not too bad. You can get a new one for about £130 now
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Cheers Mark, do you happen to have any clips with one?
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 07:52 AM

Reviews: 65

Get a Mac and use GarageBand.

I use Logic Studio, but for starters GarageBand is not bad at all and easiest to get into.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 05:35 PM

i use fruity loops, virtual DJ and audacity. get great sounds with them all
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 05:58 PM

guitar pro 5 with rse (realistic sound engine) sounds very realistic,
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 01:13 AM

Reviews: 25

So hold on ! you need a cheap program that does everything you want, but you dont have time to learn how to use it. Your going to have issues my friend.

Tags
backing track , fruity loops , paul gilbert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode