Man Did I spend some money on tone LOL :( - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Man Did I spend some money on tone LOL :(

Well I sold everything I owned guitars,amps,etc except my Carvin and the new Jem77FP in favor of doing some tone whoring.. Now keep in mind im on a budget that would make most of you guys laugh.. This is going to give me versatility and also recording abilitys without spending more money.

$399 Pod XT Live
$100 Upgrade said PodXT with Model Packs
$100 Art Tube Rack Compressor and Tube Preamp
$100 Behringer Rack Tuner
$100 BBE Sonic Maximizer
$60 Furman Power Conditioner
$80 Misc Cables and Accessories
$30 Floor Standing 12 rack stand

Grand Total Spent
$969 Yikes but it will be worth it in the end.

Plus I am getting a pedal custom built by a pedal maker on a forum I go to which will be incredible I wont say nothing I will let the tone speak for itself.. I got to design the case and the name.. I will give you a hint on what the tone will be like, its named "Damage Control"

I will post pictures of the new set up when the rest arrives. I got the PodXT Live and the Art rack unit last night. Let me tell you that Tube compressor and tube preamp ran post PodXT is fricking incredible.. Its got 2 tubes one for the compressor and a seperate for the preamp. It really brings life to the PodXT. And I borrowed a friends Sonic Maximizer last night and its just WOW..

Now it might not be for the true tone whores but for a home setup on a super tight budget it sounds incredible.

I need to finish things up by buying a power amp and then some monitors for it to be complete. Right now im running it thru a Onkyo reciever I had laying around and thru some Cerwin Vega DX7's I just restored. 2nd hobby is home audio

WOW thats a lot of typing to not have pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 03:46 PM

Re: Man Did I spend some money on tone LOL :(

Wow, sounds like you're having fun. What are you thinking of for the poweramp to go with the Pod?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 04:07 PM

Is the sonic maximizer really nessassary? I never tried one, but the POD sounds good alone.

What amp are you using?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

like I said right now and for a little while I will be running it like so

Jem
PodXT
Art Tube Compressor/Tube Preamp
Onkyo Amplifier
Cerwin Vega DX7s

When it comes in I will be running like so..

Jem
PodXT
Art Tube Compressor/Tube Preamp
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Onkyo Amplifier
Cerwin Vega DX7s

If you never used a sonic maximizer then I recommend you try one, its incredible night and day difference.

And the podXT does well but it has its flaws one being its natrual digital fizziness and the other is it has a tendency to sound sterile. Running it thru a decent tube preamp will add the warmth, the sonic maximizer then adds some much needed liveliness to it.

Go to Guitar Center and try the BBE Sonic Stomp its a stomp box version of the Sonic Maximizer.

Plans for the future is a nice rack mount amp and then some nice full range PA Speakers. But I got to pay for the rest of this stuff first. Between the Jem and what I had to fork over, besides what I sold the rest of my gear for, im a little light in the wallet to say the least.

Last edited by ibanezcollector; 08-03-2006 at 04:32 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 05:22 PM

Is the sonic stomp as good as the rack version?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilk420
Is the sonic stomp as good as the rack version?

according to the salesman its the same thing except in a stomp version..

I personally bought the rack unit..

The rack unit also allows you to run stereo where the stomp is mono.

Now there is also different rack units as well...

Now pardon me I got to heat up my Ramen Noodles hahah ill be eating them for a while
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 06:19 PM

and to think you could have just bought a used Triaxis for that...(ok ok, mabie another 200 bucks, but close enough)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

A.)
im not to keen on used electrical equipment, its hard to show the wear, where as a guitar you can see the abuse. Electrical circuits you cant.

B.) Recording features of the Pod will far exceed what I need to do, other wise say with a Triaxis I would need a power amp and no sense in having a solid state one in the chain, guitar speakers, mics, and also a way to connect the mics to my mini mac which equals more expenses I cant afford. Plus with the models packs I have literally I think around 125+ amps to choose from, 100 some effects, loads of cab and mic simulations, etc. So tone is limitless.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 08:28 PM

That's alot of money, especially for me!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 08:48 PM

Unless that tube preamp is going to really warm up that XT Live, that BBE is going to be overkill because on it's own, the XT already has a pretty brittle tone.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezcollector View Post
A.)
im not to keen on used electrical equipment, its hard to show the wear, where as a guitar you can see the abuse. Electrical circuits you cant.

B.) Recording features of the Pod will far exceed what I need to do, other wise say with a Triaxis I would need a power amp and no sense in having a solid state one in the chain, guitar speakers, mics, and also a way to connect the mics to my mini mac which equals more expenses I cant afford. Plus with the models packs I have literally I think around 125+ amps to choose from, 100 some effects, loads of cab and mic simulations, etc. So tone is limitless.
I think you made a wise decision. It used to you need to collect tube amps to get that type of tone. Now the line 6 gear lets you do just about whatever you want, and although it might fall short in some areas, its much easier to deal with for me in a live situation. Although i can see where you might want to use a classic amp over the pod, i much prefer the versatility these units offer!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 03:40 PM

Talking Re: Man Did I spend some money on tone LOL :(

I personally like the line 6 gear also. For years I was tube all the way, running a 50 watt 1973 marshall head through a 1979 4x12 marshall cab with greenbacks(sweet!). Now after researching affordable substitutes, I have been using a line 6 flextone II HD. I love the tone it brings and the versitality as well. Over the years my style has changed and unfortunately the marshall head has not. Although I would just about give up my left nut before I sell my marshall head, I use the flextone exclusively.

Tags
bbe sonic , bbe sonic maximizer , bbe sonic stomp , furman power conditioner , power amp , sonic maximizer , sonic stomp , stomp box , tube amp , tube amps , tube preamp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode