Mark IV with THD Hotplate? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Mark IV with THD Hotplate?

I've got an opportunity to pick up a used Mark IV 1x12 combo this week. I am considering using a THD Hotplate with it so I don't wake up my whole neighborhood and still get decent tone.

Anybody out there use this combination? Which THD Hotplate should I use; 4ohm or 8ohm? Any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 01:37 PM

On Tweed you can get a good tone at low volumes. Th 1-12 is not that overpowering
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 04:49 PM

Dont let the THD hype fool you. I own every product THD makes and love my hotplate, I swear by it, but dont believe you could use it to make even a 15 watt amp sound cranked at bedroom volume. It just wont work for any amp. For one all tube amps sound buzzy at low volumes when the speaker(s) is/are barelly moving. A really moving speaker is a huge part of your sound at normal volumes too.

Now your definition of low volume usually depends on your living situation. If you have neibors attached to your house (like a row home/townhouse, condo or twin) even a one watt amp will be loud enouph for them to hear when cranked. Many people have built a less then 1 watt amp for that purpose. A 1 watt amp is said to still be as loud as a trumpet. Its a widely discussed topic for cranked, vintage-type tube amp lovers. Do a search.

The THD only sounds decent for volume reduction on the first few notches. minus 4 and 8 Db's are the least noticable. They will lessen the volume by about 30%. Which is still very loud if your amp is cranked. In a live situation though 30% lower makes a big difference. At home, it doesnt. 12 starts to sound just a bit harsh and funky. That still only about a 50% reduction in loudness. 16 and less is just bad sounding. Read any review. Even with the compensatory bass and treble controls it doesnt soudn good at all.

Basically any attenuator is a tool for reasonable control of loud volumes and for the EVH type setup as a load box. Dont believe it will make your amp sound cranked at extremely low volumes. It doesnt.

If you dont mind playing the amp still very loud at home, it will help control just how loud it has to be.

Ive been using one religiosly for a long time. Id describe the difference as making an extremely loud amp only very loud. Or a very loud amp just loud. Or a loud amp reasonable. Does that make sense?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 04:50 PM

Wow that was long wasnt it!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 05:05 PM

To answer your last question always go for the higher ohmage.

The reason is you can use it with lower rated amps. I have a 16ohm HP and its safe to use it with speaker outputs of 8, 4 and 2. Im told the only drawback to that within the HP is the EQ controls dont work as designed. I never liked them anyway.

With a 4 all you can use it for is a 4 or 2 ohm amp. If you use it with an 8 or 16 youll fry the output tranny in your amp. Same as a speaker cab. you can run to speaker cabs rated higher but NEVER lower.

So Ill leave you decide which is the better choice.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 01:31 AM

You don't even have to use the tweed option. My Mark IV hasn't left my one room appartment since I bought it February last year. Ironicaly I'm going to take it out for a spin today...

My point is that I've never had a problem with not being able to get a good sound at really low volumes. When playing that low the tweed option merely changes the attack and overall feel of the amp. There's no significant change in volume. Not having tried it in a band setting yet, I can't speak for louder settings.

Mikael
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 03:08 PM

Those controlls make a huge difference when your at much higher volumes.

Tags
speaker cab , speaker cabs , thd hotplate , tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode