Mark IV's and Nomads at low volume? Powerbrake needed? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Mark IV's and Nomads at low volume? Powerbrake needed?

Hey, im not really in the market for an amp, but i know of a few amps someones selling cheap, a Mesa mrk IV (85 w) and a 45 Nomad, now i dont mind about watage as i dont need amazng amounts of volume really, but what are both these amps like at low volumes? i dont really want to have to fork out for a powerbrake or the like, unless i have to (Thats if i even consider buying one).

Any info would be great.

I tried a forum search but it didnt prove that useful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 03:27 PM

I've had great luck using my Mark IV combo at low volumes. With all of the different power settings, it's easy to get great tone at bedroom volumes.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 03:28 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
likewise w/ the Nomad45... i would not imagine a use for the powerbreak w/ the Nomad... glen
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Cheers guys.

I heard the Mark IV is a lot more versitler than the Nomad, yet 85w's seems possibly a bit much for a tube amp at bedroom levels, then again im more than likly wrong
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 06:02 PM

Nomad 45 owner here, concur...no brake needed at all.

Versatility wise, I can't imagine anything being more versatile than the Nomad, but I've never monkeyed with the Mark IV. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Cheers.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 10:26 PM

Actually I used both a Nomad 45 for my backup rig and a Mark IV for my main rig at the same time. Both were very suitable for low volume (household/apartment) usage. Since both have master volume controls in addition to level controls for each individual channel, it's relatively easy to crank them down and maintain good tone in quieter environments.

Between the two amps, I'd probably pick the Mark because of the versatility (switchable EQ, various power amp switching options). If you run a Mark IV in Class A (only two power tubes), triode, and half power, I think you can get it down to 15 watts. Just part of the charm...

--B
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Cheers for the replies guys.

What would say an average MrkIV go for now'a days?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 12:09 PM

Personally I would use an attunator with any amp (unless it was below 2 watts ) But I wouldn't reccomend the Powerbrake it is one of the eaisest to get hold of but is far from the best. The THD hotplate is pretty good and not impossible to get hold of. I have heard a few things about the Koch amp but have never even seen one

New mesas are always sold at list prices s/h I see some at around 1000 mark. But you never know when a bargain comes up

Freak
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 04:04 PM

Swirly I own a nomad 45 1x12 and its insanley loud- although it does sound cool and useable at low volumes it depends on how low your definition of low is. So the trick is to try one out.

I've trie dthe mkIV and it did seem even louder, and the tone wasn't quite as good at low volumes as the nomad. However i dont know how to tweak the mkIV that well so that could just be me.

Personally I'd say you dont NEED an attenuater with the nomad 45 however I'm getting one shortly just to get that sweet singing tone at lower volumes without having to puit a bit of pedal OD on for the extra edge.

David
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 05:32 PM

I've got a Nomad on the way, and I was incredibly impressed by this amp, even at low volumes. At the guitar shop, I never actually got the output knob (master volume) past 9 o'clock, but it was already ripping, and had unreal sustain-to-volume ratio. So I would say it is great for everything...I can only imagine what it would sound like at 3-4 o'clock.

Mmmm...total saturation. Mmmmm. Output distortion.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 06:40 PM

I have a nomad 100 and on 50w mode i find, depending on what you want to do its quite useable at 'bedroom' volumes

Tags
guitar shop , power amp , thd hotplate , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode