In the market for a new amp, Need suggestions - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

4Likes
  • 2 Post By Formerly Given To Fly
  • 1 Post By Luke Duke
  • 1 Post By jim777

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

In the market for a new amp, Need suggestions

TL;DR Ė I need suggestions for a new tube amp head $1000 or less.

Iím looking into getting a new amp head. Itís been a really long time since Iíve truly looked at whatís out there and need some help with a starting point. I donít have a full specific direction I want to go but I do have a couple of needs & wants.

First off, for reference my last big purchase that Iíve been using as my main rig since the early 2000ís is a Crate Blue Voodoo 300Ö the monster 300 watt version. I also have the 150 watt version as a backup. I also have a Crate Stealth 50, a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 and a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 36. The Crate Stealth is bad @$$, designed by Lee Jackson & oozes that hot rodded Marshall 80ís hair metal sound. I like the Peavey well enough but to me, modeling amps are more of a novelty, kind of a jack of all trades, master of none thing. The Tubemeister is pretty cool too but is nearing the being too bright category. The Blue Voodoo is my sound & I love it, but at this stage in life a 300 watt tube amp is just way overkill. Not that it wasnít always overkill, but itís too much for bedroom use or small jam sessions.

So that leads me to now looking for something to better suit my needs. As I said I donít have a true direction but there are a few needs & a couple of wants.

Needs:
-Tube Amp somewhere between 50 & 100 watts (closer to 50 may be better)
-Independent tone controls for each channel
-$1000 price limit (could be convinced to go up to $1300 is itís the right amp)
-Suited for heavy rock and power metal

Wants, but not requirements:
-Selectable wattage
-Head that can handle 4 ohm cabinet
-3 channels (2 would be sufficient)
-Can cover multiple genera from blues to metal
-Tube monitoring and auto bias
-Built in reverb would be nice but not needed
-Mid boost/cut switch but not needed (I like my mids)

Other options:
-Can be new or used/current or vintage
-brand doesnít matter much as long as itís reliable
-Would prefer a head but a combo with 12Ē speaker & extension cabinet capability will work

Lastly:
-No 5150/6505 suggestions Ė Great amps but Iíve never been able to bond with them

Thank you in advance for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 01:37 AM

Re: In the market for a new amp, Need suggestions

Just to get ideas flowing, for $1300 you should be able to get a used Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo (possibly a head with some haggling). It is overkill too but experiencing the sound of the 3rd Channel properly dialed in with the Graphic EQ engaged is a true joy. You will smile, plus the amp might be something different than what you are used to which might be fun.
jim777 and peromucho7 like this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 10:45 PM

Lightbulb Re: In the market for a new amp, Need suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasahatter View Post
TL;DR – I need suggestions for a new tube amp head $1000 or less.

I’m looking into getting a new amp head. It’s been a really long time since I’ve truly looked at what’s out there and need some help with a starting point. I don’t have a full specific direction I want to go but I do have a couple of needs & wants.

First off, for reference my last big purchase that I’ve been using as my main rig since the early 2000’s is a Crate Blue Voodoo 300… the monster 300 watt version. I also have the 150 watt version as a backup. I also have a Crate Stealth 50, a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 and a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 36. The Crate Stealth is bad @$$, designed by Lee Jackson & oozes that hot rodded Marshall 80’s hair metal sound. I like the Peavey well enough but to me, modeling amps are more of a novelty, kind of a jack of all trades, master of none thing. The Tubemeister is pretty cool too but is nearing the being too bright category. The Blue Voodoo is my sound & I love it, but at this stage in life a 300 watt tube amp is just way overkill. Not that it wasn’t always overkill, but it’s too much for bedroom use or small jam sessions.

So that leads me to now looking for something to better suit my needs. As I said I don’t have a true direction but there are a few needs & a couple of wants.

Needs:
-Tube Amp somewhere between 50 & 100 watts (closer to 50 may be better)
-Independent tone controls for each channel
-$1000 price limit (could be convinced to go up to $1300 is it’s the right amp)
-Suited for heavy rock and power metal

Wants, but not requirements:
-Selectable wattage
-Head that can handle 4 ohm cabinet
-3 channels (2 would be sufficient)
-Can cover multiple genera from blues to metal
-Tube monitoring and auto bias
-Built in reverb would be nice but not needed
-Mid boost/cut switch but not needed (I like my mids)

Other options:
-Can be new or used/current or vintage
-brand doesn’t matter much as long as it’s reliable
-Would prefer a head but a combo with 12” speaker & extension cabinet capability will work

Lastly:
-No 5150/6505 suggestions – Great amps but I’ve never been able to bond with them

Thank you in advance for the help!
Bogner Shiva
EL34
https://reverb.com/item/29833041-bog...uitar-amp-head
https://reverb.com/item/27146168-bog...2x12-combo-amp (a bit over-budget but a 2x12

6L6
https://reverb.com/item/27321132-bog...bo-with-reverb

Personally, I'm a Bogner fanboy. I have an XTC 101B and although I love it dearly, I think a Shiva will do 75% of what MOST guys want, myself included. I wanted the XTC for the 3rd Channel...but sometimes I wonder if I made the wrong decision on that... Now the XTC DOES have the power options etc, but you are at 120w or 100w and a higher pricepoint. I felt like the Masters on the Shivas I've played are really good. I'd get a Weber MASS if I wanted to knock a few more dB off of it.

Jerry Cantrell used a Shiva and a Fish...and that's a heck of an endorsement in my book.

A Klone isn't really necessary either. I got some great tone barefoot.

Just a thought!

Luke
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
Just to get ideas flowing, for $1300 you should be able to get a used Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo (possibly a head with some haggling). It is overkill too but experiencing the sound of the 3rd Channel properly dialed in with the Graphic EQ engaged is a true joy. You will smile, plus the amp might be something different than what you are used to which might be fun.
The Mark IV has a great clean channel as well. If the reverb knob were on the front it would be close to perfect.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 01:28 AM

Actually, a used Bogner or a used Mesa/Boogie covers all of my ideas. However, there are a lot of amps between those 2 brands.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 01:23 PM

Remember that 100 watts is louder than 50, but it's nothing like twice as loud. If I didn't have the Boogie I'd get a Fender Super Reverb 40 watts, 4x10's, and loud as hell lol. Instant SRV if you want, and it takes pedals pretty well

I haven't heard one myself but I have heard the EVH III 50Watt 2x12 combo is amazing as well
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
The Mark IV has a great clean channel as well. If the reverb knob were on the front it would be close to perfect.
Out of curiosity, how far did you delve into the possibilities the Mark IV offers? For example, Mesa used to make the Satellite 60 which was an all tube 60 watt power amp/speaker cabinet designed to facilitate a wet/dry/wet stereo rig if you had 2 Satellite 60ís, a stereo FX processor, and a Mark IV. The I/O on the amps is there you just need the cables. Unfortunately, the Satellite 60ís are really rare and rather expensive when made available on the used market. Did you explore any of these features? The Mark IV can be a normal amp or it can be a command center.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM

You seriously have to look into the Mercury or Iridium amps by Bluguitar. These are 100 watt (friggin' loud), but a soaker that does not tap your sound (so you can play and record at low levels). Go direct to computer, go into a cab, go into a mixer, etc. Four channel... clean with vintage, classic and modern tones. I just got in the Iridium and it blows me away how diverse and great sounding this is. And it's compact and light (meant for a pedalboard).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode