Marshall 1936 vs. Carvin Legacy 2x12? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Marshall 1936 vs. Carvin Legacy 2x12?

I'm going to be picking up a Marshall TSL head in the near future, and i want a 2x12 cab to go with it, both to tame the volume a little bit and for space/portability reasons. The two i'm currently leaning towards are the Marshall 1936 cab (celestion G-12T-75W speakers) and the Carvin Legacy 2x12 (Celestion Vintage 30's). Has anyone had much experience with both Carvin Legacy and Marshall cabs (doens't necessarily have to be these two partcular ones, just two fitted with these speakers, preferrably)? I've ehard great things about the Vintage 30's, and the Carvin's a bit cheaper... But, laugh if you will, i'm not sure how the off-red legacy cab's gonna look paired up with the black and gold marshall head... Also, the Carvin cab is 26" wide, while the Marshall head is nearly 30"...

Anyway, how do they differ tonally? That's really the more important question... any thoughts? And anything else i should be thinking about here? thanks,

-Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 09:10 PM

I don't have either of those cabs, but I do have a mesa recto 2x12 with Vintage 30's. Also, my Mesa is wrapped in deep green tolex with a cane grill and it doesn't look weird at all with my TSL head.

I used to run a POD Pro and mesa powered rack through this cab and it always sounded too midrangy for me. I dumped the rack and with the TSL the Vintage 30s are right at home, it's a very nice combination. I'd definitely steer you towards getting a cab that is the same width as the head. The mesa cab is exactly the same width as a TSL, not sure about other 2x12 cabs out there. I've heard good things about Genz Benz cabs but I've never listened to one myself.

One other recommendation would be to make sure you get the cab elevated off the floor a little for it to sound the best. On the floor it seems to lose something. I'm gonna pick up an amp stand soon and see if that seems to help.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 05:30 PM

I have the 1936 Marshall cab and the Legacy combo amp (not the extension cab). I will say that I like the break up of the Legacy a lot more than the 1936.
Out,
GP
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Hmm... well, portability issues aside, what sort of a difference in volume will i be getting, going from a 2x12 to a 4x12? The idea of having a head bigger than the cab just isn't appealing to me... i know, i'm superficial.

Of course, a Mesa 2x12 might be a better solution- same speakers, heavy as all hell for a 2x12, but easier to carry and fit in a dorm room...

-Drew
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 05:28 PM

Ill throw another cab in here just for anther choice. I have heard that the Avatar cabs are quite good and they cost less than the Carvin cab...as far as I can remember anyway. I think the site address is www.avatarspeakers.com
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 06:21 PM

I used a 1936 years ago and liked it but found that a Marshall 4x12 was better.

A few different 4x12s later and I finally switched to a much better sounding set up! which was...

2x12 mesa rectifier cabinets two of

a bit like this
http://www.jemfest.com/mini/london/030208/images/05.jpg

now I really feel my guitar output!
They are great cabs I just dont think I would get the same sound with two Marshall 1936 cabs

Havent tried the Carvin unfortunately

best wishes

Simon
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Admit it, you just wanted another excuse to show off that custom swirl...

I'm pricing Mesa's as we speak... I've always liked how the things look, and while they're pricey, they appear to offer all the features I'm looking for...

-Drew
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
Yeah, I noticed how every picture Simon posts features the BMC
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel
Quote:
five years in the planning/making and t turns out as good as that...wouldnt you want to show it off?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealk
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel
Quote:
five years in the planning/making and t turns out as good as that...wouldnt you want to show it off?
Lol, i'm not complaining, i like looking at it ...and yes, i would show it off
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealk

Damn... and i've only been playing like 7.

Anyway, back on topic... so i'm leaning Mesa 2x12. any thoughts? other recommendations?

-Drew
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 01:49 PM

Mesa 2x12 are the bees knees, just fantastic!

In Sept 2001 I played through Rob Balducci's ones at his place and was amazed...
Then I saw Dave Weiner play with SSV and he had a pair so I thought...

hmmm time for a change and went out and got some.

They really are great and the tone and balance of the sound you get is just excellent.

did I say I like them?

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 02:14 PM

Any commnets on a Mesa 2x12 horizontal vs. vertical cab? I like the low profile of the horizontal (side-by-side speakers), but the "half-back" vertical is a cool idea as well. Anybody compared tone?
Greg

Tags
celestion vintage , combo amp , custom swirl , dave weiner , extension cab , genz benz , marshall cabs , marshall tsl , mesa cab , mesa rectifier , mesa recto , pod pro , rob balducci

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode