Marshall 20/20 v/s Boogie 20/20... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Marshall 20/20 v/s Boogie 20/20...

Your comments here please...Thanks for you time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 12:43 PM

yea

The marshalls have a thin sound very thin compared to the mesa's which are nice and warm..
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 03:13 PM

Re: yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCShredder
The marshalls have a thin sound very thin compared to the mesa's which are nice and warm..
Hm, I do NOT second that... IMHO they do sound very similiar... only has the Mesa 20/20 the advantage of giving you control of volume (and presence) for both channels seperatly, where the Marshall only has one volume and one presence.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 08:43 PM

I carefully compared both before settling on the Mesa, and it was the clear winner in the tone, flexibility and (reportedly) reliability departments... I thought the Marshall tone was a little thinner or at least less meaty and growly than the Mesa's, and I wasn't impressed with the Deep switch (tho' I love it on my JMP1); also, I hate the fact that you have to load both channels at all times (so you must ALWAYS use two speaker cabs, or a huge stereo cab - no reduced loadout 1x12 gigs here...). The Marshalls also have some reported overheating problems that Mesa avoids with clever design ensuring superior air flow around the tubes... I wanted the Marshall 20/20 originally, because I thought it would mate nicely with my prefered preamp (a Marshall JMP1), but after my research and test drives, I chose the Mesa and have been very happy with that choice.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Hello Jimi D,

A simple question for you:
-You can run mono(40 watts) with the Mesa 20/20?Thanks man.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felipennn
Hello Jimi D,

A simple question for you:
-You can run mono(40 watts) with the Mesa 20/20?Thanks man.
Nope... But it's bloody loud!! The other guitarist in my band runs an old (circa 1970s) 60 Watt Traynor head, and I easily hang with him... Also, running two cabs (one on each channel) or more (you can run two on each channel), increases the apparent volume even higher... I don't play arenas (hell, tonight I don't play anyplace at all - it's my wife's gigging night with her Harper's group ) but I've never felt like I lacked volume with the Mesa, and with the direct outs, you can always run an slave line off each channel to the board so you can push through the PA too!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyNero
Quote:
Hm, I do NOT second that... IMHO they do sound very similiar... only has the Mesa 20/20 the advantage of giving you control of volume (and presence) for both channels seperatly, where the Marshall only has one volume and one presence.
Well n omarshall compared to the 90/90 and I can't say I've heard even the lower ones match the 20/20 either. so it must be in your preamp settings that you like a thin sound to begin with.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Well n omarshall compared to the 90/90 and I can't say I've heard even the lower ones match the 20/20 either. so it must be in your preamp settings that you like a thin sound to begin with.
AFAIK the question was to compare the Mesa 20/20 to the Marshall 20/20... nothing 'bout the 90/90????

And I sure did compare both 20/20 units in direct A/B using the same Cabs with both. They do not deliver such a different tone, the advantage of the Mesa are well described (better control and having the possibility to run only one side with the Mesa, the Marshall being cheaper). That's about it.

Tags
amp settings , marshall jmp , speaker cab , speaker cabs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode