marshall amp question. - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

marshall amp question.

I am looking for the model of a marshall amp i saw in a second hand shop recently; (it has since been sold)

Here are the facts (but they are quite vague as they rely on my **** memory)

It was a small half stack
Possibly 60watt head definintely valve
the cab was possibly a 4x8

Basically it looked like a shrunken jcm 900 half stack.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 06:50 AM

Re: marshall amp question.

definatly in the TSL or DSL series, cant say much more, possibly the TSL 601
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

i have googled for ages and i have come to the conclusion that marshall never made a cabinet less than 4x10... so it must have a jcm 600 with a 4x10 ministack equivalent..
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 08:12 AM

It could had been a artist ..it had a twin 12 cab...?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 11:04 AM

Also sounds like an Artist, to me. They were part of the mini stack, with 4x10 cabs, or 2x12's(that were the same size as the 4x10, IIRC).

If it's an Artist, don't buy it. They are the worst amps ever made. Tell the seller I'll give him $10.00 for it, to spare him the pain of having to look at the piece of crap.

(Seriously, those 30 watt Artists are AWESOME!)
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 11:19 PM

I think it was the artists with thw 4x10 cabs and they were a little smaller as well.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 09:29 AM

there 50watts aren't they ...and they are really good....
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 09:36 AM

No, they're 30 watts. Solid state preamp, tube power. I love them, because you can crank up the master a little more, and really get it singing. I am constantly getting compliments on my tone. Yeah, they're REALLY good amps!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 01:58 PM

I wouldn't prefer an Artist over the older all tube Marshalls, but they are something different and you can get them cheaply if you are willing to hunt around and be patient. They are not bad amps though.

It sounds like whatshisname has figured out how to use them
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 03:03 PM

I have a Marshall Artist 3203 head. It is pretty cool but I still long for my old JCM800 2203 that I stupidly sold. I like this one because it's super light for a head. I'll use a Marshall 1931B 1X12 with a Celestion G12T-75 or a Marshall 1960 A cab.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 05:12 PM

Yeah they are light for heads aren't they?

You know how hard it is to carry my '69 Major down the back stairs? It's hard enough to fall when there is no snow or ice not carrying anything on those stairs.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 06:44 AM

Yep, that's another plus! They don't weigh a ton!

I know it's not *quite* the same, as an all tube head, but, it's about 90-99 percent there. Especially considering that when the sound guy won't let you turn up to get the tubes going, on a bigger wattage all tube amp, you might as well be a crappy solid state amp. A 100 watt tube amp(even a 50 watter) on three just doesn't do it.

For instance, my old JCM 900 had a sweet spot, right around seven, on the master volume. Anything below that, and it was hardly usable.

My brothers old Crate sounded better, at that volume. And those old Crate amps were horrible, for anything other than maybe metal. They did that well, though.

I can really wind up my Artist, and cook those tubes, and still not be too loud. Okay, that's enough of me salivating over my Marshall... Sorry, I just love this damn thing!

BTW- Jim Marshall has gone on record, saying that the 30 watt Artist is his favorite amp Marshall has ever made! Now THAT says something!
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshisname
For instance, my old JCM 900 had a sweet spot, right around seven, on the master volume. Anything below that, and it was hardly usable.
Any old Marshall is like that, but if the tubes aren't run overly cold (like a stock 900) then you can say 4 or 5 is the mininum sweet spot.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 04:57 PM

Well, I should have added that mine had a habit of blowing up, so I didn't keep it for all that long... I ended up trading it for a Classic 50. I was going to paint it yellow(LEMON, anyone?), and send it back to Marshall. In all my life, I've never had such an unreliable amp. It actually turned me off to their amps for a while, and became a JCM 900 hater. :/

That combined with Reb Beach also telling me that 900's suck.

Still, I could rarely ever get it up to five. I'd almost always end up running it at three(and NO higher), and the sound guys would STILL complain that they couldn't do a good mix, because I was too loud. Idiots! In the rare occasion that I got a soundman that actually knew how to run sound, I could wind it up a bit more. You may be right though- it may have been biased too cold.

Honestly, I STILL have some guys telling me to turn my Artist down! I almost gave in, and bought a Line 6, because of these morons. I just can't bring myself to do it.

What would these guys have done, once upon a time, when you HAD to crank your amp?
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshisname
What would these guys have done, once upon a time, when you HAD to crank your amp?
I own a 200 watt Major, so I know exactly what you mean.

Yeah a lot of people say 900s suck. Most of them probably do not know the SL-X exists (no clipping diodes), nor have heard them properly biased. I still find the 900s with clipping diodes a huge step up from a 2000 and a little bit better than the later 800s which were quite sterile and didn't have enough gain for a sound that thin. Out of the factory, Marshall was biasing them way too cold - they figured by biasing them so cold, people would be able to drop in any 6L6s or EL34s and not have to get work done, but the tone suffered quite a bit (but they still were a huge step up from a 2000! Go figure).

The reverb in the dual reverb has a history of dying. I've also heard the SL-X has a tendency to eat wires or the volume will drop periodically after long periods of use but that has never happened to me.

Tags
amp head , amp heads , clean tone , marshall amp , solid state amp , tube amp , tube head

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode