Marshall Amps? Over rated and over priced? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Marshall Amps? Over rated and over priced?

Hey, Folks

I'm looking at getting a 1x12 all tubed amp. I haven't given them much thought but a friend suggested Marshall. However, I feel for what they are they're certainly overrated and overpriced. Even though I feel this way I still wouldn't mind looking at them.
Which models would you recommend? I want to get a sound that's close to Iron Maiden but can kick out some vaish stuff.

So, what do you think about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 12:59 AM

Reviews: 130
Re: Marshall Amps? Over rated and over priced?

Haze 40 with an overdrive pedal in front. $699 new or $525 if you buy mine. 40 watts but LOUD.

JVM215C--versatile and MIDI-controllable --50 watts $1599

JMD501--Marshall's new modeling-style amp -- 50 watts, 16 amp sound options $1149

MA50C--Marshall's new "entry level" tube line -- 50 watts, fewer options, 2 channels

You can try and find these on the 'bay, or you could also look for a JCM800 on the 'bay--there's a JCM800 4010 1 x 12 on the 'bay right now for $800. If you get an older JCM800/JCM900 with a good overdrive you'll get closer to that Iron Maiden sound.

Also, I hear the Blackstar amps are really great all-in-one amps. Check 'em out.

Cheers,

Race

Last edited by racerevlon; 08-23-2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Added another amp
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 02:35 AM

Marshall overrated and overpriced, possibly but they have stood the test of time, the only thing I`d change mine for is a Mesa
post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 03:14 AM

Well lemmie tell ya this: I get to play dozens and dozens of amps per year through work (guitar mags) but when it came time to buy a new amp, I settled on a Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 above amps by Mesa Boogie, Carvin, Fender, Randall, Line 6, Laney, Hughes & Kettner, Peavey, Engl, etc etc etc. I would definitely recommend the JCM2000 series. It's what Dave Murray uses in Maiden. You'll also get Vai-ish tones out of it, particularly Eat 'Em And Smile/Passion & Warfare type sounds.

Other notable JCM2000 users over the years:

Nuno Bettencourt
Jeff Beck
Bruce Kulick
Steve Morse
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 04:25 AM

You heard Gilbert's tone on his new album right? Marshall!
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 05:42 AM

a handmade in the UK product.. this stuff aint made in a factory in Korea or anything.. great price for that kind of quality.
but I would say that
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:37 AM

Reviews: 1

Over-rated? These amps aren't like Slash...

Overpriced? These amps aren't Slash's guitar either...

As highly rated as they deserve to be, and in my opinion, most Marshalls are priced for what they deliver (with the possible exception of the MG series... the price on the higher powered models might be pushing it )
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 10:52 AM

Reviews: 21

Depends on the model of amp you're talking about.

The DSL is a great amp for what it does and I wouldn't consider the price to be over the top considering the tones it can provide.
The TSL on the other hand is overpriced and over rated in my opinion, I'm not a fan, never have been.

I had a look at a JCM 800 2203KK model, that thing sounds like a complete beast, for £800 I'd say its a balls out bargain. (At least it was when I was considering one, it might have inflated in price by now)

The JVM model that a bandmate used to play was complete and utter cack in comparison and cost about the same amount, so I guess it comes down to opinion and what model you're thinking of getting. If you're unsure then go to a shop and test the thing out.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:32 AM

Reviews: 59

I think Marshall still make some very good amps. It varies from model to model and the particular tones your after would require trying out some things. Some models have suspect design problems which results in some maintenance issues and break-down risks but over all, I think they make a pretty good product.

I wouldn't necessarily say they're over rated any more than saying that some other company's amp or guitar is over rated/priced. They are expensive though and some other companies like Laney or Blackstar have developed similarly Marshall-esque tones for less money.

If you're looking for an amp, I wouldn't rule them out based on price or over-hype. I would try everything you can out with your guitar and see what suits you. Then worry about price or reputation with an emphasis on build quality.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

So, I checked out that JCM2000 DSL50 and it has been discontinued. Any other recommendations? Again, I'm looking for something that would give me a tone close to Maiden. There's not a lot of shops around here that carry the high end stuff. We have a guitar center but all they have is the solid state model and some half stacks. Not a fan of those.

Thanks for your help.
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 02:36 AM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuit View Post
Over-rated? These amps aren't like Slash...

Overpriced? These amps aren't Slash's guitar either...

As highly rated as they deserve to be, and in my opinion, most Marshalls are priced for what they deliver (with the possible exception of the MG series... the price on the higher powered models might be pushing it )
Funnily enough am waiting to see what the Marshall Slash signature is going to be like. It actually sounds pretty good.
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmattms View Post
So, I checked out that JCM2000 DSL50 and it has been discontinued. Any other recommendations? Again, I'm looking for something that would give me a tone close to Maiden. There's not a lot of shops around here that carry the high end stuff. We have a guitar center but all they have is the solid state model and some half stacks. Not a fan of those.

Thanks for your help.
It's still listed as a current model on their website. Weird. Well this is the exact same thing but with a custom finish, and it's a current model this year: http://marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=1923
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 02:01 PM

Reviews: 39

It all depends on the mood of the music.

I ditched my Plexi a long time ago when I switched to Mesa for my main gigging rig, but since I teach and a few of my friends wanna noodle on the blues, I'll whip out the vintage modern every now and then. The KT88 sound is pretty rad sometimes.

Definitely a mood thing. Same for my Orange; sometimes I wanna sound like John Mclaughlin (even though I can get those tones with my Mesa...)
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmattms View Post

Thanks for your help.
So we're on the same boat. We're starting an Iron Maiden tribute band, and I've been dialing a TriAxis to sound close to them.

AFAIK, Dave, Adrian and Janick are playing through a DSL100, 6100 and JMP-1 into a 9200 power-amp, respectively.
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1m3b4g2 View Post
The DSL is a great amp for what it does and I wouldn't consider the price to be over the top considering the tones it can provide.
The TSL on the other hand is overpriced and over rated in my opinion, I'm not a fan, never have been.
All true. The best way to go now is the JVM, I guess, but there are DSL's 100 starting at $675 on 3bay. Very tempting...

Tags
marshall , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode