Marshall AVT Series + Other hybrid amps - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Marshall AVT Series + Other hybrid amps

Hey people
I was just wondering, how much of a difference the valve/tube in the preamp makes in these amps? I heard that the louder these amps are played, the more the SS power amp has an effect on your tone. Is that true?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 07:26 PM

I've never gotten the whole "hybrid" thing... I mean, there's a single tube in the preamp. due to the nature of the cascading gain stages in a high-gain tube amp, that means you're not going to get any serious distortion out of the thing (as there's a two stage limit if both sides of the tube are for the distortion channel, or a single stage if it's for the distortion and the clean) without some significant solid-state assist. So, you're paying extra for what's essentially a solid state power amp running through a solid state pre... Either save your money and go full SS, as there's some perfectly good sounding solid state amps out there (give a Tech 21 a try sometime- damn.), or hold out until you can afford to go all tube.

-D
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 03:17 AM

i guess having the valve in the preamp might give you a slightly warmer preamp distortion. But it is a stupid idea imo because its the valve poweramp that gets you all the really nice tones
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 04:27 PM

It is my opinion so people may disagree, but...

Tube pre amp dist is usually harder and edgier than the power amp dist. It's in the power amp you get what is considered the classic Marshall tone that you only get when playing a tube amp over 6-7.

If you're playing at a lower volume than that you can just as well use an AVT or hybrid as your distortion will be generated by the preamp.

Tags
amp distortion , power amp , solid state amp , solid state amps , solid state power amp , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode