Ibanez JEM Forum banner
7K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Petie 
#1 ·
I've been running a rack system for a while now, but I have been pondering the idea of going back to a head. However, I want the best of both worlds. The AVT150H & the Spider II HD heads look appealing because they both have 4 channels, 150W, & a solid stage power section (which I prefer). Besides these, are there any other heads that fit the description above?

For those who've tried these amps, what do you think is the better choice? The Spider II is $399 & the AVT150H is $699. Is the AVT150H that much better to warrant the higher price? I know the AVT150H has an effects loop, but does the Spider II have one? I would still like to run a BBE & an effects processor through the effects loop.

I basically want the following sounds...
1. Super Clean / Acoustic sound
2. Bluesy Overdrive
3. Rock Distortion / Solo Channel
4. Full-on Metal Gain with tons of clarity

HELP!

#3 ·
You seem to be looking for the same kind of thing I am.

If you can find a Flextone II HD used for a decent price, it'll probably do what you're looking for.

I haven't tried the Spider II yet, but I've heard good things on the metal end of the spectrum. It seems to cover clean and metal distortion/solo distortion, but I'm not sure about the bluesy kinda sound you're looking for.

#5 ·
Are you 100% sold on four channels? If not, Give a Marshall MG100 head a go. It's not hugely worse than an AVT, tonally, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper. I've always had issues with the whole hybrid amp thing- since you're looking at a solid state power section and a significant transistor assist to the preamp anyway, why not go all solid state?

-D

#7 ·
Drew said:
Are you 100% sold on four channels? If not, Give a Marshall MG100 head a go. It's not hugely worse than an AVT, tonally, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper. I've always had issues with the whole hybrid amp thing- since you're looking at a solid state power section and a significant transistor assist to the preamp anyway, why not go all solid state?

-D
Actually, I had an MG100 about 3-4 years ago & it sounded great! It's a 2-channel amp though. If the Clean/Crunch & OD1/OD2 buttons were footswitchable, I'd be all over it. It's a shame that you essentially have 4 channels to play with, but only 2 are footswitchable. Does it have an effects loop? I've always been a fan of the Valvestate sound. Add a BBE & you have a crushing tone for metal.

Most of you will hate me for this, but I am a solid state guy. The only tube amps I really like are all in the $3000+ range. So, since I don't crap gold nuggets, I guess I'll have to wait. ;)

Two Hands31 said:
You seem to be looking for the same kind of thing I am.

If you can find a Flextone II HD used for a decent price, it'll probably do what you're looking for.

I haven't tried the Spider II yet, but I've heard good things on the metal end of the spectrum. It seems to cover clean and metal distortion/solo distortion, but I'm not sure about the bluesy kinda sound you're looking for.
Too be honest with you, I've never been fond of Line 6. If the past, I've tried the Flextone, POD Pro, & the Vetta. All of them seem to be lacking in tight, focused low end. Plus, I couldn't get enough high end. To me, they all sounded like midrange monsters. Has this changed? Judging from the sounds/videos on Line6's website, the Spider II seems like it has a very lush clean tone, plus a crushing metal tone. Those are my 2 primary sounds. I want 2 additional channels for a moderate overdrive & a solo channel.

Overall, it looks appealing, especially with the addition of the FBV Shortboard. However, I hear the Spider II has no effects loop, & that sucks.

SO, ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS for a solid state (or modeling), 4-channel head with an effects loop? I'd even consider a 3-channel head with a solo boost.

#11 ·
Drew said:
haha, well said, rev. ;)

-D
Haha. I hear ya. I was more impressed with the Marshall MG100 than with the AVT150H or the Spider II HD.

The AVT150H claims to be 150w. That's bull! I had to turn it up to 6 before it would be considered loud enough for live use. By that time, it was muddy. It doesn't like extreme low tunings.

The Spider II HD sounded great, but it's unreliable as hell. It will only take 8 ohm loads for mono & stereo, that's it. Not very useful, considering most cabs run mono at 16 ohms. So, I had to hook up a Marshall cab in stereo to get the correct 8 ohm load. Well, the amp was constantly losing power on both sides. One minute, only the left side worked, a few minutes later, only the right side worked. After doing some research, I found out that this is a consistent problem with these amps. I've heard stories of a couple of these amps completely crapping out.

I'll just hold out for something better. :)

#13 ·
eh

I think it all comes down to the user. If you know what you are doing the Line 6 souns incredible, and I would take it any day over the Marshall. So many artists are using the line 6's now for the very reason that they need less gear, and it's more reliable then a tube amp. If you tweak it right the sound is unreal. :D

#15 ·
yea

Two hands31 said:
I'd say look into a Line6 HD-147 if you can get the cash for one, or an old Flextone II.

Didn't know about the reliability issues with the Spider II, I think I'll avoid those :?
I was also going to say HD147 for high gain and great clean, but since you're looking lower budget I'd say Flextone II or Spider... I found a few Flextone II's this week on blow outs for 450+

#16 ·
Re: yea

BCShredder said:
Two hands31 said:
I'd say look into a Line6 HD-147 if you can get the cash for one, or an old Flextone II.

Didn't know about the reliability issues with the Spider II, I think I'll avoid those :?
I was also going to say HD147 for high gain and great clean, but since you're looking lower budget I'd say Flextone II or Spider... I found a few Flextone II's this week on blow outs for 450+
Yea, the Flextone II's great. If I could find a half-stack version for a decent price locally (w/ trade-in on my combo) I'd be all over it.

#18 ·
Re: eh

BCShredder said:
My buddy has been selling all his out.. He's fully endorsed w/ Line 6 and upgraded to Vetta II he's selling all his pod pros n flextone II's as well as custom shop esps rack gear road cases and cabs all used on ozzfest and their album. he had/has it all on eBay
*sigh* Sounds like something Ice would say (since you know him, you know what I mean).

If you're going to name-drop and say you know a guy who played on Ozzfest, just tell us who it is.

And I'd sell my nuts for a Vetta II :lol:

#20 ·
Look for a used Crate GT-200. That's my main amp (though I actually found this topic cos I'm looking at getting a Spider II for a recording/live project I have coming up, just to give me a little bit of cheap flexibility til I can afford a better modelling amp).

The GT-200 has two solid state channels and two tube channels. There are two versions, one with a digital effects section, or one with spring reverb and stereo chorus. It's a 200 watt head (500 watt peak, whatever that means) and I've never had to turn it up past 5 (even when jamming with the notorious Matt from the band Damaged, the most intense drummer in the world). I use it with a Crate cab loaded with four Eminence speakers.

Here's a description of the sounds:

Clean (solid state): Crystal clear clean tone that simply won't distort under any circumstances. Plug a digital reverb into the stereo FX loop and think Vai's "Sisters."
Clean (tube): With the gain turned down, gives a great warm jazz tone. Crank the gain to 10 and you have instant AC/DC tone. Step on an overdrive pedal and women will instantly throw themselves at you and dudes will let you ride their Harley.
Distorted (solid state): Like Vernon Reid's sound on Stain? It's right here. Add a BBE to tighten up the lows and highs for an almost "Eat Em And Smile" tone with natural compression.
Distorted (tube): Alien Love Secrets. Turn down the guitar's volume for that clean-but-dirty sound on the intro to the G3 version of Vai's "Answers".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.