Marshall Bass rig? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Marshall Bass rig?

OK at the moment I have a 125w Laney combo, think it has a 12" cone. To put it pluntly it's not powerfull enough, on full volume, which it needs to be to compete with the rest of the band, all I get is the treble frquencys come through. This is obviusly not good so as you can't get Trace Eliot amps any more in the UK I thought A Marshall should do the job.
I want a brand new one for under 1000, is this realistic, it needs to be powerfull enough to compete with guitar amps at about 150w. I think a cab looks cool but the only bass one out is so damn expensive.
Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 11:34 AM

125w is not much at all for a bass rigg. Thats a practice amp. My bass player plays an SWR SM900 which is 900watts at max. Competing with 150W guitar riggs, which is about as powerfull as guitar amps come (expept for a Marshall Major, naturally), you need alot more power for bass.

I dont know about the Marshall but for 1000 Pounds you should be able to get a real nice bass rigg. SWR, Ampeg, Etc... I dont know whats available over there. I never heard of Marshall making any particularly decent bass amp. Maybe. But I never heard of it. Look at head and cab deals as opposed to just combo amps.

As far as looking cool, believe me, once you get a really great sounding rig, itll start to look cool to you awefully fast.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 11:58 AM

Marshall makes a killer bass head, the VBA400, which is all tube and has a ton of features like compressor, eq's and whatever. There's matching cabs for it. I don't have a clue how much it costs in the UK.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

OK cheers for the feedback guys, I think i'm gonna have to save some extra pennies and buy the Marshall VBA400 and VBC412 cab, that's 1200 which is quite alot over my budget.
The bass amp I have at the moment is a Laney RBW200. I don't know a lot about how power relates to sound but as I only had a 10w amp before and this amp was 125w I thought it would be powerfull enough. The man in the shop basically conned me into buying it (which I unfortunatly only see now) as he said (I quote): "yeah with 125 watts this will be seriously loud and it should be ok for medium sized venues".
Well I now find out that only if you D.I. the amp it'll be ok. I'll never use that shop again (I won't say who it was as I don't want to get chucked off this forum). I didn't know any differant at the time.
The VBC512 cab can produce 400 watts but the VBC810 640 watts, but is 250 pounds more expensive, do you think it's worth blowing all my cash on the larger model or should I just go for the smaller?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanitarium
The VBC512 cab can produce 400 watts but the VBC810 640 watts, but is 250 pounds more expensive, do you think it's worth blowing all my cash on the larger model or should I just go for the smaller?
The cabs don't 'produce' watts, that's what they can take. The VBA400 produces the watts.....obviously 400
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2003, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

oh right, then i'm getting confused here. Realy sorry but I don't understand electronics (or know how to spell it) at all.

Tags
bass amp , combo amp , practice amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode