Which Marshall Cab suits best Heavy Metal - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Which Marshall Cab suits best Heavy Metal

i am thinking of connecting a peavey 5150ii head or a similar high gain amp to a marshall 4x12 cab! which do u recomend?, i want warm leads (Vai tone), with a heavy crunch for palmutes!

a) Standard 75 Watt 'G12T-75' speakers (1960A/B).
b) Marshall/Celestion designed re-issue 25 Watt Greenbacks, 'G12M-25' (1960AC/BC).
c) The extra warm sounding Marshall/Celestion 'Vintage' speaker [rated at 70 Watts each] (1960AV/BV).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 01:27 PM

I'd say go with your regular JCM1960A.

Mike 777 Haug
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 05:26 PM

A 1960 B cabinet will be the fattest. A 1960A will be a thinner sounding cabinet.
Don't even think about greenbacks, they are more of a blues rock type speaker.
You should really look into a better cabinet than Marshall.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 07:29 PM

The crappy 1960B.

If you want V30´s, buy a Mesa Rectifier (2x12 or 4x12 Traditional).

If you want Greenbacks, buy a Bogner 4x12.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 08:10 PM

What difference would the actual cab make if it's the same exact speakers?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 08:41 PM

Newer Marshall cabs are supposedly made from particle board..

I opened mine up(90's I think, JCM900), and it's plywood..

The whole 'insert-ply-here' birch stuff seems silly to me, when the cab jumps in price a couple hundred bucks for it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEMavenger
TOTAL difference.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 07:56 AM

Reviews: 1
When I bought my 1960AV, I tried everything Marshall made with my (at the time) JCM900 SL-X. I went with the Vintage-30 equipped AV because, to me, it had the best combination of sweetness and high-end rolloff without turning into mush at high volume (the Greenbacks sounded outrageous, but they really got kinda farty when you cranked a clean sound's output volume to "11").

To me, the '30s seem pretty versatile -- Hetfield got "the original" chunky sound out of them (though, as Ghost Flame indicated, he used Mesa), and yet a fluid, buttery lead is pretty easy to dial with 'em too.

Gearjunky brings up a great point: You shouldn't restrict yourself to just looking at Marshalls ... I bought one to match my head. Try everything you can with your own head and your own guitar (very important) and see what works for you -- you're the one who has to live with it.

--jr
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Flame
Quote:
TOTAL difference.
Okay...that doesn't help me much. How would I Rivera loaded with Vintage 30s compare to a Marshall with the exact same speakers?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
TOTAL difference.
Okay...that doesn't help me much. How would I Rivera loaded with Vintage 30s compare to a Marshall with the exact same speakers?
They´re close.

You´ll see the difference when you compare one of them with
a Bogner, Mesa or Engl cab with V30.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
TOTAL difference.
They´re close.

I don't even understand your point here. Are you saying that Rivera cabs are substandard and don't compare to Bogner, Mesa , or Engl? Rivera makes some of the best amps and cabs available.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 02:03 PM

Isn't a Marshall going to get killed by the 5150II head? I use a 5150 Cab for mine and it's twice as heavy as a Marshall cab Oh well, only one way to find out :P
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 11:03 PM

the weight of the cabinet doesn't mean that it will sound better. the birch cabinet will be better because it will resonate better than the particle board. the reason automotive stereo shops use it is because it won't resonate. the speaker size will also make a big difference, the 70watt will be heavier than the 30watt. its not very hard to build your own cabinet and buy the speakers seperately but if you don't feel you can i would suggest using the 70watt speakers. i have the CELESTION MODERN LEAD G12-70 at 16 ohms. i bought these at least 10 years ago and don't know if they are still avaliable or changed names. the ohms make a difference also, by using 16 ohm speakers and running them in series i'm droping my ohms to 4 ohm and that will amke a difference is the perceived bass of the cabinet. make sure your amp will handle the 4 ohm load and don't use with another cabinet with a different ohm load. i've used the cabinet for many years and have only played heavy stuff from metallica(old), megadeath, slayer, testament, pantera and so on. i've played different cabinets and have noticed that when you really turn the volume up if you have your setup with a lot of base that the speaker will break up a little. i've never had problems with mine.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLHelfand
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
TOTAL difference.
They´re close.

I don't even understand your point here. Are you saying that Rivera cabs are substandard and don't compare to Bogner, Mesa , or Engl? Rivera makes some of the best amps and cabs available.
It´s your taste. If you like Rivera, ok.
I tested one and liked, because it was loud
and not trebly/sparkly like 1960´s.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 05:06 PM

Reviews: 3
ive heard that a mix of t75s and v30s in an X pattern works very nicely to get the best of both worlds, so maybe ya could give that a try!

Tags
high gain amp , marshall cabs , mesa rectifier , ohm load , ohm speaker , ohm speakers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode