Marshall DSL 100 vs TSL 100 Channel Switching - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Marshall DSL 100 vs TSL 100 Channel Switching

I've got a question for anyone who has a DSL. Does the DSL have a dip in volume for a split second when you switch from the Overdrive channel to the Clean channel? The TSL has this and it is kind of defeating the object of the seperate channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 05:28 PM

Re: Marshall DSL 100 vs TSL 100 Channel Switching

I haven't noticed it on mine, hopefully I have a good one. I've heard about a fair few dodgy DSLs.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Is yours a DSL or TSL? Maybe I can change my TSL for a DSL if the DSL behaves. The TSL has a little cut in the sound when going from an overdrive channel to the clean channel, its not seamless, its useless! What good is a loss in sound?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 06:20 PM

My DSL doesn't do this. I'd be surprised to hear that TSL model do it - sounds more like someting strange is going on with your amp - if you bought it from a shop I'd take it back for them to check it out.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 06:22 PM

There's nothing wrong with the TSL's as far as it's supposed to have the volume dip. I haven't noticed it in live situations, you only really notice the volume dip when playing in bedrooms etc.

I did take my amp back to the shop i bought it from and they compared it side by side with 2 other TSLs in the shop and a DSL and they all did the volume dip. It's just Marshall procedure i guess. It's to stop the reverb from dribbling into the other channels especially at low volume i guess. Most of the valve Marshalls have this type of channel switching whereas Mesa Boogie for example cut the reverb completely when switching channels which is easier for channel switching, but just doesn't sound as good to some people.

I prefer the TSL to the DSL just because you get seperate equlization per channel. If the DSL had EQ for each channel i would have bought that instead. Meh!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

I'm not dismissing what you say, but here we have one person saying thier DSL doesn't cut the volume and one saying a DSL did. This is one of many things I don't like about the amp. The other is build quality, mismatched valves fitted that wern't even biased correctly. Long gone are the days of good Marshalls, the last good Marshall we saw was the JCM 900 series.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 07:58 PM

Yeah it's a bloody pain in the arse. I don't like the volume dip when it switches. It's almost like a POD or something when you switch channels because they cut out for a second.

I think i'll talk to Marshall soon about how to mod it to make it quicker or something but it's a bit annoying.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

I hate to say it, but the channel switching makes me consider taking it back and for some reason the effects loop makes the amp lose alot of volume when used.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1981
I hate to say it, but the channel switching makes me consider taking it back and for some reason the effects loop makes the amp lose alot of volume when used.

Yeah my TSL looses volume when the FX loop is on but all you really need to do with that is boost the level on the pedals.

I've considered taking it back a few times but i really do like the sound of the amp, so meh
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

The level on the pedals wont really help, it'll just change the mix.

I'm gonna ring the place where i got it from, Wembley Guitar Centre, which is a part of the drum centre, thier main bit, in Wembley north london. I'll tell them that i cant put up with it.

The only solution I have thought is the clean the crunch up and use that, as there is no muting when going to and from crunch and lead.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 11:22 AM

I bought a TSL100 last year and experienced this problem, along with an annoying reverb swell at the same time. I replaced it twice and all 3 heads demonstrated exactly the same problem. However, as Chud mentioned earlier and on a separate thread, apparently the problem isn't noticeable when the amp is cranked to a higher volume. I haven't had the opportunity to play it at high volume yet, so I can't confirm this.
I agree with Chud in that it's a minor problem with an otherwise great amp.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Do you own or have you had the chance to use older Marshall's? I have a JCM 900 (not re issue) and find the JCM 900 to be of far superior build quality over the JCM 2000's.

I'll take this out for a thrashing and see if it does it at high volume, but at any volume shouldn't be happening in the first place, what good is it performing a song with a muting in it?

Tags
mesa boogie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode