Marshall Head Modded - Holy Cow - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Marshall Head Modded - Holy Cow

I've been through scores of guitars over the years, but I've used Marshall amps exclusively for the last 30 years- (got my first stack in 1979.) Last year I sent Jim Marshall two pics -one from 1979 and one recent pic of me playing my double stacks. Suprisingly, he mailed me a very nice letter back and put the pix up on the official website for awhile.

Two years ago I bought a new Marshall DSL 100 full stack to augment my live rig (JCM900 full stack) and last week I decided to make some mods to it. I recently modded my JTM60 and wanted to try it on a stack.

I replaced the output transformer with a Mercury Magnetics FatStack, added a power choke and replaced position 1 through 4 preamp tubes: position one with a NOS real Mullard 12AX-7 and the other three with JJ's 12AX-7's. Position #1 in the preamp stage is the key to shaping your overdriven gain tone.

Ureeka! I've found THE SOUND. The change is so drastic (for the better) I'm just floored. Normally the gain stage on this model loses much of the bass range, but now it's fat and warm with rounder highs. Think early EVH. The cost of the mod is about $450 but the transformation is unbelievable. Can't wait to mod the other Marshalls now!
So if you're thinking of Marshall mods - consider these changes -you will love the end result.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 02:01 AM

Re: Marshall Head Modded - Holy Cow

Wow Cool! Nice!!!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 05:31 AM

Reviews: 21

Great to hear dude!!! Ive always had a soft spot for Marshalls, but they have never been dirty, raw or angry enough...maybe this might sway me!!!!!!
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 11:25 AM

Did you mod it yourself or send it somewhere? I've been thinking about modding my Laney by swapping the tranny.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

It was done by a local guy - Bell Labs in CT. Andrew does great work. Unfortunately, I am incapable of doing electrical stuff - just ask my wife :^)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 04:53 PM

Slightly off topic: I have a JTM30 which I don't use much. What mods did you do on the JTM60? Would like to have a few ideas to improve my JTM30... Thanks!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 07:22 PM

A good power transformer makes a HUGE difference A lot more than most people think it does.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzedout View Post
Slightly off topic: I have a JTM30 which I don't use much. What mods did you do on the JTM60? Would like to have a few ideas to improve my JTM30... Thanks!
On the JTM60 I replaced both the power transformer and the output transformer with Mercury Magnetics. It was cool because they had not made a power transformer for that model yet so they included a letter stating it was the first one produced.

All tubes were replaced with matching JJ's - those amps tend to run hot so I had a small fan installed to keep the tubes cooler. We also changed some of the caps to a lower value which gave it more low-end without sacrificing the midrange- and lastly we replaced the stock Celestion with a Celestion G-12H reissue 12" speaker.

Hope that helps.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 12:39 AM

Great! Thanks!!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce View Post
A good power transformer makes a HUGE difference A lot more than most people think it does.
It does??

My tech told me that there was no way a power transformer could affect tone.
weird

Teo
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 09:04 PM

awesome!!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 01:15 PM

Reviews: 10

i also did similar upgrades to my randall rm100. installed a mercury magnetics output transformer and choke. upgraded all the preamp tubes, the preamp and power section got jj83c gold pins and the effets loop got a tung-sol 803 goldpin. the power tubes i went with SED el34's in V2 & V3, and sed 6L6's in V1 & V4. biased them on the hotter side of the voltage scope rating.

once the MMOT finished burning in after about 30hrs of play time..... the amp is significantlly clearer. its crazy how much of a difference there is and how much of a difference this upgrade makes. it'll ruin you for all amps that dont have the highest quality components in the power section.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 11:50 AM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by teokiatuan View Post
It does??

My tech told me that there was no way a power transformer could affect tone.
weird

Teo
That's a lie. If that's true, why wont Mike Soldano let
Deyoung (the company that builds his transformers)
sell the ones for his amps to anyone else......
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 07:53 PM

Reviews: 130

I have a handwired Marshall 1974X combo--do you think a OT swap would benefit the tone or should I just not mess with a HandWired Marshall? BTW--I love the tone already...

Thanks!

Race
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 10:09 PM

Got me a Splawn, no changes needed here!

Anyways, that sounds cool. Post some clips.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode