Marshall JCM 800 tone....a little dull.... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Marshall JCM 800 tone....a little dull....

WOW, it's been a long time since I've posted here! Anyways, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I recently bought a 1983 Marshall JCM 800 2204 Canadian import model, and I can't seem to get a very usable tone from it. I am aiming for a really growly, not necessarily heavy tone but very fuzzy and powerful. I think we can all imagine this sound I am trying to get....but I can't seem to do it. The treble below 10 sounds muddy, and the mids seem to have little impact on the overall tone (strangely enough). But they are set to about 8. The bass is effective but doesn't really change the "feel" of the tone per se. I just can't seem to get it sounding right. Any distortion boxes that might help? I tried a TS-9 but it didn't help too much....and added alot of noise. I can't use an equalizer because it doesn't have an effects loop. Is modding the bejesus out of it the next step? I really like the basic tone of it, the JCM 800 sounds really nice. But I put alot of money in this and I just want the perfect tone. Anyone with any experience with this please give their 2 cents......
P.S. - I am using UV's and Les Pauls for guitars, a 1960TV for the cab.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 06:46 PM

It can be such a large number of different things causing it.

I found my 2203 very bright as most people do which is kinda strange. You find it Muddy? Are you really cranking it? If not I suggest you look into a THD hotplate. The basic tone of the amp cannot be dialed out with EQ.

Have you tried it with any other cabs? Dont be fooled by the big pricetags on those types of Marshall cabs. Others can sound WAAAY better with any given amp. Its a matching game though some cabs sound great with large numbers of amps and others dont.

Another very real possability is that everything is still stock and worn to high hel|. If the person who owned it before you played the bejesus out of it at high volumes, many vital components can be worn out.

Another real possability is that the tubes need to be replaced BADLY.

Yet another possability is a completely faulty component.

Anyone who buys a vintage amp really owes it to themselves to have it gone through by a vintage amp pro. People who know about all those little thing. Ive known many people (including myself) whove been turned off to an amp, theyd otherwise love to death, by just one of the scenarios Ive mentioned. Its very possable its a combination of those things.

I would say that you maybe just dont like the JCM800 but the way you described it is the opposite of how most people, including me, describe it. I owned one a while back and I was real sorry I ebayed it. Real sorry. The good thing is there still cheap.

So at the very least try it with some new gear (mainly cab) and new tubes. Then have it checked out. If nothing is wrong with it it wont be expensive and then you know you truely dont like it.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 01:45 PM

Yeah, new tubes would be my first recommendation... And if you don't like the results, you can advertise it as "retubed last month with a set of..." and get most of your investment back. Tubes make a MASSIVE difference on the fundamental tone of an amp.

-D

Tags
les paul , les pauls , marshall cabs , thd hotplate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode