Marshall JMP-1 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
XR4

Marshall JMP-1

What do you think about this preamp?? How many of you have one??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 10:57 AM

Re: Marshall JMP-1

I owned one for a while... I thought it was a decent preamp for the (used) money. Very versatile. Not quite as cool as the Triaxis, but for half the cost, hard to argue with.

Two complaints I recall about the JMP1:

1) Some people say that it doesn't nail classic Marshall tones particularly well. Perhaps that's true... I don't have a closet full of vintage Marshalls to compare it to. I do recall, though, that the JMP1 seemed to have a lot more available gain than most stock Marshalls (personally I liked that, but could understand how other people may not).

2) In theory, the signal path isn't 100% tube--some gain stages are tube, some transistors. Again, seems to be a bigger deal to some people than others... personally it didn't bother me much.

--B
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 12:08 PM

Yeah, I had one for a couple of years too. I liked it until I bought a Triaxis and well.... there's no comparison. If you do go for one, make sure you use a tube power amp. That can make or break the sound. I used the Marshall 9200 with mine. It still didn't sound nearly as good as the Triaxis/2:90 combination, but with all the gold and tubes glowing from behind the smoked glass faceplate, they sure were pretty in the rack together.

It did have a pretty crushing tone too.

Do you have any specific questions about using one?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 02:13 PM

I owned one. If you buy used you can get good value for the money.
IMO it sound good at low volumes but to rehearse with a drummer it sounds harsh and not tubey.
I liked the high gain settings, they are good for typical 80 hardrock.
I don't own it anymore because I've sold my rack and went to a basic tubeamp now.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
XR4

One guy is offering me a used one at U$s500. What do you think, (I live in Argentina and there are few of them, so maybe is more expensive than in the U.S.)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 03:15 PM

Why not look for a used ADA MP-1. Just got one of these and it kicks big time arse (especially with all the mods you can do to it).
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 10:31 PM

ADA-2 is killer as well, but only the ADA-1 has that particular ADA-1 sound if that is what you are lusting after.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 07:29 PM

I've been using a JMP-1 for more than 10 years now and I absolutely love it. It sounds a little less fizzy than a normal Marshall head to me, which I like.

You need a reasonable tube power amp tho to get the best sound out of it, maybe a stereo one if you plan to use stereo effects in the loop. I use the Marshall 20/20 power amp (which is one of the cheapest you'll find of any brand) and it works well...easily loud enough through a 4x12 for rehearsals and fairly large gigs. With the 20/20's 'deep' switch there is also plenty of bottom end for most styles of rock & metal. If you want an overly scooped mid sound tho you will need some sort of EQ, but I find it fine for fairly heavy stuff like SOAD etc.

If you have other gear to make the most of it then it might be a bargain.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 06:38 AM

I think that the JMP-1' are great preamps! I bought mine used for 270 (included shipping) and it's the best gear deal I've ever made. You can get lots of good sounds out of that unit. I've used it thru my TSL100's power stage because I don't have any rack poweramp yet and it works well...

Here's a direct recorded clip of my JMP-1:

http://www.students.oamk.fi/~t3kemi0...ces%20High.wma

It's the solo part of Iron Maiden's Aces High. I found the backing track from internet so it's me on the lead only.

I didn't do any EQing in the CubaseSX. I only added some delay to it (300ms on both sides / 6% mix).

Signal Chain:
Ibanez Rg-507 (stock pups) ---> JMP-1 / speaker emulator output (L) ---> soundcard line in ---> cubaseSX

JMP-1 settings I used for the clips:
channel OD2
Volume 14
Gain 14
Bass 6
middle -2
treble -2
presence -3
bass shift ON
speaker emulator level +4dB

-Jaakko
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 06:50 AM

I really rate them too, I have never owned one myself, but have played on several. I really rate them highly. I think that the sounds you get from it are awesome. In terms of bang for buck, I think its the best there is out there for the money. Just couple it with a decent poweramp, and a nice cabinet - and your rocking!

They are okay priced over here in the UK too. Whenever I see them on evilbay, they are usually around the 250 mark. Which isnt too bad considering the Mesa Triaxis prices.

And hey, if its good enough for Iron Maiden, its good enough for anyone!!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 04:41 AM

Reviews: 34

Yep I have one too, and I like it alot. I have run it in several configurations and it has never failed to come up to par. At the moment I am running it with a behringer virtualiser, (sometimes) through a valve compressor and then either straight into the pc, or through the power stage of my peavey mace head. With the compressor in small room environments you can get amazing sounds out of it. Make no mistake these are professioanl units, and for 250 - 300 you really can't match that. I have used a few other pre-amps, although to be fair they were mostly tranny, and I have personally never heard anything of that class that even comes close to the Marshall.

I suspect that there are much better solutions (in terms of pure tone) at more money, but for value and basic functionality it cannot be beaten (ok mayde the ada). The whole midi thing adds ALOT of other options to your rig.

To be honest I can't see why more peple don't use rack gear now. It is very reasonably priced, completely scalable, high quality, and the sound is truly fantastic.

One other thing. As far as I know the basic design and ideology of thta unit hasn't changed for maybe 15 years (?? maybe more I don't know), something must be reasonably about it for it to last that long.

Tags
backing track , iron maiden , mesa triaxis , power amp , tube power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode