Marshall JVM - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Marshall JVM

Any feedback on this amp? Though I love my H&K Switchblade like no other amp I've ever owned, I've never really liked the idea of DSP effects built into the amp. I mean they are extremely quiet and sound great, but I dunno, I just prefer effects not be in the amp.

So, anyone have any experience with this new amp from Marshall? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 06:43 PM

Re: Marshall JVM

I agree with you about that, I usually just buy my effects. Usually the extra money spent on the effects could have been spent on better quality if you know what i mean. I don't have any experience with the amp unfortunatly.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 07:46 PM

The reverb is DSP on the JVM. Also, they use some pretty ****ty components in what is supposed to be their flagship amp. It does sound pretty good though
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 10:31 PM

Tha amp is an absolute monster. Super hi gain, od1 orange is excellent. Sounds great at low volume too. Unfortunatley it had to go to fund an xtc.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 09:39 AM

I haven't gotten a chance to play one yet, but what I've heard from those who have is it's a step up from the TSL, but not by much. If you want a Marshall, a JCM800 or 6100 are probably still the best way to go.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 10:47 AM

I haven't played one, but I have 2 cents... I've heard great things about it from Marshall lovers (like the best clean channel Marshall ever put in an amp), but I have real reservations about the quality. Wiggle the knobs a little. Then do the same with an older Marshall.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 11:19 AM

stay with ur H&K
the gains are better then previous marshalls but its nothing compare to mesa or triamp mkII
plus the gain channel jsut sounds like marshall, loose and fuzzy..
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpd111 View Post
I haven't played one, but I have 2 cents... I've heard great things about it from Marshall lovers (like the best clean channel Marshall ever put in an amp), but I have real reservations about the quality. Wiggle the knobs a little. Then do the same with an older Marshall.
They said that about the TSL too, man. I owned both a TSL-100 head and a JTM-30 combo. The clean WAS richer on the TSL than on the JTM, but the JTM had this awesome glassiness to it that lent it a lot of character, especially as the poweramp began to drive. That and a strat was blues tone to die for. The TSL, meanwhile, was definitely thicker, but also just really uninspiring. There was no character to it, no life to it - "sterile" isn't quite the word I'm going for here, but the JTM had personality while the TSL sounded like Marshall trying to be Fender and not really sounding like either. It was about as cliche'd a "clean" sound as I've ever played. I'd take the JTM over it any day.

Marshalls have never been known for their preamp distortion, sugizo, no matter how hard they've tried to change that on recent models. You buy one for the way the poweramp drives. If they can capture that in the JVM at sane volumes and don't interfere too much with the pre, then great. If not, well, the JCM is probably cheaper, too.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 10:32 AM

Reviews: 130

I have three H & K's -- a TriAmp MK II, a Trilogy, and a Switchblade--I love them ALL. My friend heard my Trilogy and went out and bought one. Then he hear the JVM--he went and bought one of those and is selling the Trilogy--bottom line--they're both GREAT amps--it's all about what you're looking for.

Tags
amp distortion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode